• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front brakes 67 rt

Bill76

Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
I want to replace front brake shoes and drums on front of 67 r/t . My problem is finding the parts , My napa guy who I have been dealing with for about 30 years says the 11 x 3 shoes are no longer available so I take the shoes to get relined at the only place in town that does it and he quoted $240 for the job , well that's not going happen.
I want to keep the drum brakes and also get rid of the self adjusters , If I recall 69 GTX had the 11 x 3 inch brakes on the front . Can anyone tell me if they do and if they will be a direct fit ? Or what would fit with out changing backing plate , and also where to get them.
I want to keep the car as original as possible and I have no use for self adjusters.
If someone could help steer me to what I need I would be most grateful.
Sorry for ignorance and long winded post.
Thank you Bill

Your R/T came new with manual adjust brakes on all 4 wheels. They started self adjust in 1970 on the b-body manual 11” brakes.

67-71 GTX, RR, RT and Superbee also c-bodies all came with 11x3” fronts. Did you check rock auto thy had them a while back.

Looks like hey are 1965-1972

Last edited:
You can take the self adjuster 'plate' off and then run a spring across the adjuster wheel to keep it from moving or find the course adjuster and the spring that came on them originally. You can then manually adjust your brakes. I've done it this way on many cars with an 88 Shadow being the most recent after my wife would back out of the drive way and hit 25 mph and then coming to a complete stop. She wore out 2 sets of rear brakes in 20k miles before I finally pulled the self adjusters off of it.

Not too many years ago you could buy better shoes for drums from the local auto parts houses. Back in the day, the first things you did with original OEM junk shocks and brakes was to upgrade with better stuff as the factory stuff sucked big time! OEM shocks were more or less 3 dollar shocks and so were the shoes.....

Rockauto is your friend!
23E44456-73BA-4BB6-9217-8D75BDCD0CA1.png

Cranky has it right, yrs ago I bought semi-metallic for mine. Looked like sintered(?) metal particles glued together, needed a couple stops before they heated up; boy, did stop though.’mopared’ had the good website.

Your R/T came new with manual adjust brakes on all 4 wheels.

67-71 GTX, RR, RT and Superbee also c-bodies all came with 11x3” fronts. Did you check rock auto thy had them a while back.

Looks like hey are 1965-1972

I agree - my 67 GTX does not have self-adjusters.

Manual adjusters are dinosaurs now,,, for most people!
So are point systems but I still know how to make them run good......if you can still even get the good parts anymore lol

Manual adjusters are dinosaurs now,,, for most people!
Well someone put auto adjusters on this car and I don't want them , I will keep hunting for manual adjusters or at least the course tooth adjuster and spring kit.

Don't know if those will work the spring that holds the adjusters in place is different, keeps adjuster from turning. Pic 1 self adj. Pic 2 manual adj.

rearb.JPG rearb1.JPG

Bill do you have a red alert near your inbox? I have many of the parts your looking for.

Don't know if those will work the spring that holds the adjusters in place is different, keeps adjuster from turning. Pic 1 self adj. Pic 2 manual adj.

View attachment 738611 View attachment 738612
Mine have a much shorter spring then pic 1 more like pic 2 but with a straight leg on one end.
Bill do you have a red alert near your inbox? I have many of the parts your looking for.
Yep just seen it and now I know what its for ---still learning how to get around forum

Photo 1 above is 1970 with self adjuster, B C E bodies there are some changes in the cable, springs, and lever from 1969 self adjusters, C-body only.

Photo 2 is manual adjust.

The star wheel is different on manual adjust with bigger, smoother, fewer, and rounded teeth so the spring coil can sit in there. Using a self adjuster star wheel is going to be wearing on the spring when you rotate the wheel, not the best idea.

Last edited:
And ------- if you want to go with QUALITY U.S.A. parts--
I have EVERYTHING for you ----
Most Importantly -- N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Front
(11" x 3" indeed) and Rear (11" x 2 1/2") Brake Shoes,
Brake Hardware -- Combi & Adjuster Kits, Wheel Cylinders, Brake Hoses, Brake Drums, and more....

Always best to simply call me -- Craig --

Please use the PM system for your personal info. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back