• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fusible link

Topline

Local time
11:22 PM
Reaction score
I'm in the process of cleaning up wiring and reinstalling the steering column on my 72 satellite. I am going to parallel wire to the ammeter with a fuse at the starter relay. I would also like to replace the fusible link in the coulumn with a blade fuse. What amp would the fuses be? 50 amp?? A/c and stock alternator.

Last edited:
Fusible link in the column? There are no fusible links located in the interior originally, bad idea.
What is it exactly you want to fuse protect?

There is a reason fusible links were used over fast blowing fuses originally on the charge circuit. Fusible links react slower allowing for momentary current spikes without opening the circuit entirely, leaving the vehicle dead in the water. When a fusible link blows, it can generate a lot of smoke instantaneously, should never be used in the interior spaces of a moving vehicle.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="72RoadrunnerGTX, post: 910843223, member: 1079"
Thanks for the response. I was suspicious of the fusible link in the column, on the red wire, my diagrams didn't show one. I cut the link when I removed the steering post/ column. So that wire can be soldered back together?? Or put in a blade fuse to protect the ignition circuit?

Yes, splice the ignition feed red wire back together, make sure it’s well insulated and protected, fuse protection is not needed there. Be sure your added parallel wire is also protected by a fusible link at the starter relay post.

Auto Transport Service
Back