• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gear Vendors OD

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
Got everything hooked up, but when I supply 12volts switched, I’m not seeing any of the rocker switch lights come on. Do they come on only when the vehicle is moving? I’m at a loss! Car won’t be ready for a test drive until next week.

Never had one so don't really know but would think they would come on with the ignition was turned on.....?

Engine running, but no lights, which I’m thinking the car has to be moving, but I’m not sure.

It’s not clear, that’s why I’ve asked.

My friend put one in his galaxy, I’m going to ask him what and how his works. I just tried him but no answer. Will try again later.

Below was his answer to my text.. based on that I’m thinking you don’t have power to it from the source you chose..
Good luck

‘If I have it turned on, then the light is red with the ignition on. If I have it turned off, no light. If on and in automatic mode driving down the road, red light until 60kph, then it will show green light when in overdrive. If in manual mode, it does a whole lot of different things”

Had one, light should be on with key on. True, in auto mode it should go into overdrive at 45mph and back out below. Do not push button at a dead stop. Will shift to overdrive by itself in first gear, all other gears the button must be pushed to change gears. Make sure hot wire is on key on fuse. In manual mode you change gears in the overdrive at will. Sometimes I use to drive in second gear and shuttle it back and forth for a second gear and second gear overdrive. Half a gear below third. But you must take it out of overdrive before you stop in manual.

Ok, seems my 12 volt switched is not 12 volt switched. Back to looking. Thanks fellas!

I checked the 12 volt switched, and after talking with GV, it’s doing what it should. When you first turn the key, green light comes on briefly then goes out. Turn key to crank, engine fires off, release key, now red light should be on, then when the GV kicks in the green light comes on. Well I’ve got NO RED light.

Still working on it. Ughhhhh!!!!

Are you grounded?

Been on the phone with them a few times today. I think we figured it out. The dimmer switch is to have a ground and something about it being connected to the black wire off the rocker switch. So I’m trying to read the schematic and wrap my brain around what the guys at GV told me. Already popped a fuse, some I’m doing something incorrect.

It’s working! Turns out the instructions don’t say where to connect the ground wire off the rocker switch! So I thought it just needed to be grounded to the body, nope. That has to go to the ground (black wire) on their dimmer type switch. So after doing that and probing with my test light for a good key on, it’s working as it should. Road test in a few days as I’m waiting on a booster to finish off the brakes.

I'm sorry I should have asked you first about the ground. Glad all is well!! You are going to love it!!

That definitely had me scratching my head, but I’m glad it’s working. I let the trans run with the *** in the air and the axles are turning, so I think all is good.

Your final post was a year ago, and now I'm considering the GV option for my own ride. So, a year later, how do you like it? How's it working?

The forum member that this car belongs to says that the car is just fine, no complaints and his teenage boys are wanting to drive it. Other than that, I don’t have any more feedback for ya.

Your final post was a year ago, and now I'm considering the GV option for my own ride. So, a year later, how do you like it? How's it working?

I can't speak for anyone but myself, I had one for years. It was in a GM, not a mopar.

Running it through the gears was fun, but the overdrive is what I was looking for and it was flawless. Overdrive in many transmissions is the weakest link, years ago away. Removing the overdrive from internal to external, for me anyway allowed for the use of a proven factory transmission. This unit can take anything you throw at it and not hesitate. Many new transmissions require computers and far more electronics to function, installation is very basic and can be done in an afternoon. It has nothing to do with your existing transmission because it bolts behind it and all the shifting is done within itself, your transmission has nothing to do with it. You can use it or not. The money is the reason many don't want it, but, by the time you do everything required for an electronics overdrive transmission, I think the simplicity work in its favor. Just my opinion.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, I had one for years. It was in a GM, not a mopar.

Running it through the gears was fun, but the overdrive is what I was looking for and it was flawless. Overdrive in many transmissions is the weakest link, years ago away. Removing the overdrive from internal to external, for me anyway allowed for the use of a proven factory transmission. This unit can take anything you throw at it and not hesitate. Many new transmissions require computers and far more electronics to function, installation is very basic and can be done in an afternoon. It has nothing to do with your existing transmission because it bolts behind it and all the shifting is done within itself, your transmission has nothing to do with it. You can use it or not. The money is the reason many don't want it, but, by the time you do everything required for an electronics overdrive transmission, I think the simplicity work in its favor. Just my opinion.
And it sounds like a viable solution than going with the 855. From what I understand, those ain't cheap either....

I agree the Gear Vendors overdrive is a nicely designed unit. I do not have one but from what I understand they are essentially bulletproof. My only concern (which is why I never got one) is the overdrive is only .80. I now have a A-855 and the overdrive is .70 - very nice on the highway.

Having said that, if you are OK with a .80 overdrive, I think they are awesome units, and certainly cheaper (and obtainable) than A-855's.

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back