• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen 3 Hemi 1/4 mile times VS the stock vintage engines

392 hemi going in next week with a magnus super charger going to be awsome

4FDAF13C-049B-4894-A8F5-BB358DB8E3BF.jpeg

5074F314-86C6-4966-8E7C-B5E62BC13F5B.jpeg

AB0D933D-855B-4A83-9136-9D0FD930349F.jpeg

Bringing this thread back, the original topic was about 1/4 mile times gen3 hemi vs our old school V8’s.

Lets say you swap a 485 hp scat pack 6.4 into a b body, I’d like to think you would have a mid 11 second car. I see numerous people at our local track running 11.90’s easily with only a sticky tire. Those 6.4’s FLAT RUN.

Bringing this thread back, the original topic was about 1/4 mile times gen3 hemi vs our old school V8’s.

Lets say you swap a 485 hp scat pack 6.4 into a b body, I’d like to think you would have a mid 11 second car. I see numerous people at our local track running 11.90’s easily with only a sticky tire. Those 6.4’s FLAT RUN.
Doesn't really matter where the HP and Torque is coming from. What gives the newer engines the power is really good electronic engine management. Have you ever weighed the crankshafts, rods and pistons from say a 383/400 vs the present day 392? Don't really know what the weight difference is but thinking they are not as heavy. Lightweight components makes a pretty big difference in how an engine revs up which can help reduce ET. Light weight parts allows an engine to rev up much quicker than the old stuff but I'm sure you already knew that.

According to the ET and weight charts, my old 10.60 car was making about 500 hp with a fairly mild 440 using ported 906 heads running right at 11-1 compression. The only thing that was kinda special was the 660 Isky solid roller cam and the old 'ash can' Jahns light weight pistons. It had Hemi rods but probably would have been just as well using prepped 6 pack rods. The car was 3200 and change without me in it. Back then (80's) I was 160 or so. The big difference between (actually huge difference) is that the new stuff doesn't need to be tinkered with like the old stuff but I like to tinker with my cars but the older I get, the more of a chore it gets. Heck, even my beater 95 Dakota is on it's 2nd set of plugs which were installed about 15 years ago lol

As always it's the whole package too. Tires, suspension, Convertor etc. These 700HP engines should run good times. After 50 years every component should be superior. It took the manufacturers about 35 years to surpass our 1970 technology but when they finally did catch up it didn't take them long to blast right by it.
I think driveability is the one component that really is an improvement.
I still prefer the old stuff though and always will. I see an old Mopar with beautiful lines that has a new dashboard, ugly engine and Camaro suspension and I walk right by it. No problem with someone else having one, it's just not my thing.

I like to tinker with my cars but the older I get, the more of a chore it gets.
Man, you said exactly what I feel and have to fight against as well. So much physical abuse in my younger years from what I did for work, to what I did for play, has taken a toll that I never really thought I'd have until it became a problem that just gets worse with time. I have great respect for those who fight through their injuries and pain far better than I can, some with many more serious ailments. In 2011 I was working out in my home gym daily, but doing sit-ups on an "Abdominal Lounger" I felt a sharp pain in my stomach, and soon thereafter found I had my first and only hernia, that I still haven't had surgery for. I am going to have to get it fixed, but I am the only one who does the work required for my business, and that is a problem I have to figure out a way to deal with.
Anyway, I LOVE to tweak and tune my 6bbl and other stuff, but bending over the hood really aggravates my lower back, which is the focal point of my injury. I'm FINALLY going to get back on my spark plug thread cleaning job today that I posted about months ago. I'm hoping that works and changing all the spark plugs fixes the engine running bad problem that popped up at the worst time, at Cruisin the Coast in OCTOBER of last year! OCTOBER!! and now I'm just getting back on it.

On a more thread related topic, I certainly could have had a Gen 3 Hemi built, a "healthy" one at that, for what I'm spending on the Bill Mitchell RB aluminum block based 572 stroker, BUT I want "old school" under my hood, a hood that says boldly "440+6" with a V in my VIN to match!
I may have a F&B 3x2 EFI/DPI setup in the future, but that 572 will pull its air and fuel through my Promax modded Holley carbs to start out, and I have 2 Holley jet kits (4 jets each size) to play with the A/F ratio, and I can get other parts for the carbs too, and that's exactly what I want to do, BUT once I had an EFI setup dialed in, that may reduce my need to go through the pain of bending over the hood.

Low back is my issue too along with Mr. Arthritis who has been in my back for years and is now going after my hands. :(

I've had my cat for a year. Sometimes I just sit there with it idling with 18" of vacuum at 700rpm and just marvel at the 717 ponies under the hood. And it might as well be 807 because that was just a bigger check.
I love the old engines and a big cam as well, but the gen 3 platform is stout!
My turbocharged 383 runs similar boost levels but makes no where near the same power.

I've had my cat for a year. Sometimes I just sit there with it idling with 18" of vacuum at 700rpm and just marvel at the 717 ponies under the hood. And it might as well be 807 because that was just a bigger check.
I love the old engines and a big cam as well, but the gen 3 platform is stout!
My turbocharged 383 runs similar boost levels but makes no where near the same power.
Late last year I went to an LX fest at the drag strip and it was amazing with all the 10 second cars out there that were licensed and inspected for the street. The LX fest allowed ANY brand of car to show up so long as it had a Hemi in it. There were a few out there with the Gen 2 engine but didn't see any with the Gen 1 but there were a ton with the Gen 3. There were a few that were in the high 9's too and a couple of them that had license plates and inspection stickers on them. Kinda doubt it was legit inspection stickers though. Heck, I got my beater 95 V6 Dakota inspected with a straight pipe on it last May.....but I tip well :D The coolest old school car out there that night was a 55 Chevy 2dr sedan with a 426 in it and the next one that was ok cool was an early Fox body with a Gen 3 in it. They allowed others in to test and tune but couldn't enter the program whatever that was.....was out there with a buddy with a 94 Dakota with a turbo 318 that ran a 9.999! Yep, barely made it into the 9's.

Kinda doubt it was legit inspection stickers though. Heck, I got my beater 95 V6 Dakota inspected with a straight pipe on it last May.....but I tip well :D
There are places that don't require local nor state inspection stickers (brake tags) in Louisiana and Mississippi, but where I used to live did. A repair shop + gas station a few blocks from the house was a certified inspection location, the same place I'd go to get flats fixed and talk about the car cruising and street and local race scene, mostly from OUR teenage years in the 70s...
I could have gotten a tag for an alcohol burning car w/a supercharger sticking out of the hood...and zoomies!
:thumbsup: :usflag:

I stayed out of this thread because the initial question was comparing just an engine swap. Since that has gone by the way side, I thought I'd add my penny's worth. I put a 6.1 and 545RFE in my 68 Charger back in 2016. Stuck with the 3.23 sure grip and upgraded to 15" wheels. It uses the factory engine management with a Diablo Sport tune. I did my upgrade because of the cost of the shitty fuel out there now-a-days. I bought a new 68 Charger R/T back in 68 with a 4 speed and 3.55 sure grip. It ran a best time of 13.88 at right at 100 mph and averaged around 12 mpg on the 103 octane back in those days.
My current car weighs in at just under 4000 lbs with me in it and has only been to the track once where it ran a 12.89 @ 102 on it's only pass at Rock Falls raceway. Some idiot in a tuner oiled up the track causing a 3 hour cleanup so I didn't get to do another pass.
With that said, Comparing the factory HP ratings of 375 for the 440 and 425 for the 6.1, the numbers sound reasonable to me. Biggest difference is the fuel mileage improvement for me. My 6.1 doesn't have MDS so stays on 8 cylinders but it affords me 23 mpg average which is almost double what the 440 gave me. Most of that is because of the computer fuel management and the gears since it runs about 1700 rpm's at 70 mph instead of the 3500+ rpm back in the day. It was an expensive upgrade with plenty of head aches but I am very happy with it and would not hesitate to do it again.

Last edited:
I stayed out of this thread because the initial question was comparing just an engine swap. Since that has gone by the way side, I thought I'd add my penny's worth. I put a 6.1 and 545RFE in my 68 Charger back in 2016. Stuck with the 3.23 sure grip and upgraded to 15" wheels. It uses the factory engine management with a Diablo Sport tune. I did my upgrade because of the cost of the shitty fuel out there now-a-days. I bought a new 68 Charger R/T back in 68 with a 4 speed and 3.55 sure grip. It ran a best time of 13.88 at right at 100 mph and averaged around 12 mpg on the 103 octane back in those days.
My current car weighs in at just under 4000 lbs with me in it and has only been to the track once where it ran a 12.89 @ 102 on it's only pass at Rock Falls raceway. Some idiot in a tuner oiled up the track causing a 3 hour cleanup so I didn't get to do another pass.
With that said, Comparing the factory HP ratings of 375 for the 440 and 425 for the 6.1, the numbers sound reasonable to me. Biggest difference is the fuel mileage improvement for me. My 6.1 doesn't have MDS so stays on 8 cylinders but it affords me 23 mpg average which is almost double what the 440 gave me. Most of that is because of the computer fuel management and the gears since it runs about 1700 rpm's at 70 mph instead of the 3500+ rpm back in the day. It was an expensive upgrade with plenty of head aches but I am very happy with it and would not hesitate to do it again.

i dont hink I`ve posted the short I have been fighting in my car on here before , (68 fastback, 440/505) , was test driving it last week after changing some stuff , "didnt cure it ,"
engine ,fuel.inj. , everything shuts of when I hit a bump , runs like a bat out of h--- , untill then , always after its warmed completly up tho.
Anyway , I got to jump on a 6.4 supercharged hellcat charger on a new 5 lane hiway , he was being a bigshot coming up behind me , passing people that were driving "fairly" normal , when he was passing me , I gave it enough gas to stay even with him ,faster and faster , he finall got in it , so did I , "pulled away from him pretty good, this went on for about 5-6 miles , being carefull because of some traffic . "I know it was stupid" , and swearing I wont do it again , even prayed about it before I did it !
He could not run with me till we got quite a ways over 100 mph, I turned off to go get some 91 octane , never saw him again . After I got the gas , I got out on a diff 4 lane to go home , hit a big transition bump going over an overpass , same thing engine and evrything shut completly of , but reastarted because of the speed .

Not really a great comparison to this thread , but thot it would be interesting .
Wondering how it would have gone if I`d used my power adder , compared to his supercharger... srory for the length of this post ....

i dont hink I`ve posted the short I have been fighting in my car on here before , (68 fastback, 440/505) , was test driving it last week after changing some stuff , "didnt cure it ,"
engine ,fuel.inj. , everything shuts of when I hit a bump , runs like a bat out of h--- , untill then , always after its warmed completly up tho.
Anyway , I got to jump on a 6.4 supercharged hellcat charger on a new 5 lane hiway , he was being a bigshot coming up behind me , passing people that were driving "fairly" normal , when he was passing me , I gave it enough gas to stay even with him ,faster and faster , he finall got in it , so did I , "pulled away from him pretty good, this went on for about 5-6 miles , being carefull because of some traffic . "I know it was stupid" , and swearing I wont do it again , even prayed about it before I did it !
He could not run with me till we got quite a ways over 100 mph, I turned off to go get some 91 octane , never saw him again . After I got the gas , I got out on a diff 4 lane to go home , hit a big transition bump going over an overpass , same thing engine and evrything shut completly of , but reastarted because of the speed .

Not really a great comparison to this thread , but thot it would be interesting .
Wondering how it would have gone if I`d used my power adder , compared to his supercharger... srory for the length of this post ....
That's a good post!
Too bad you couldn't tell him to spend a few more bucks next time :lol:

It's a good story, would be interesting to see the video and telemetry from the hellcat.

I’m not buying that. There’s NO way a 505 out ran a HellCat. The HellCat has more gears, MORE HP and TORQUE and while it does weigh more, its brutal engine will walk away from a 505 anytime. I just don’t buy it.

I'm assuming FB means a Barracuda.
My buddy's 440 rpm head cuda went 10.60s. Not a lot of car to push around.
My other buddy's OG hellcat with a 100 extra horse in the computer went 10.70s.
As a simple comparison.
It's not unbelievable to me.

Just looking at the numbers, the new stuff is rated at a net number while the old stuff was a gross rating.
A 5.7 rates between 340 HP and 395 depending on the model vehicle that it was in, the year it was as well.
Torque matters too, of course.
Every vehicle that the 5.7 Hemi was installed in weighs more than most of our classics. I have seen NO Challenger, Charger, Magnum, 300, Jeep or truck that was under 4000 lbs. Despite that, they still run pretty quick. Modern transmissions do help but mass and weight are still hard to overcome unless you have a lot of power. You don't click a 14.0 ET in a 4000 lb car with a 4 cylinder making 200 HP.
The cylinder head flow of even the 2003-2008 5.7 is better than any stock 383-400-440.
If a 2015 Challenger R/T at 4100 lbs can clear a 14.0 ET, a 3700 lb Road Runner should be capable of a 13.8 given similar gearing.
I intend to replace the 5.7 in my high mile 2007 truck. I'm keeping the original and am considering a build for use in a classic. I resisted the concept and made excuses for why I was hesitant but I am coming around to the idea. A 4.05 stroke crank, Eagle Heads and full length headers would put even a stock cammed 5.7 over 425 net HP that would far outpace the mild 383 that I have in the car now.

JF 1.JPG

I'll never get tired of this...thanks for sharing it 68 HEMI!

Auto Transport Service
Back