• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going to replace the cam IN-CAR tomorrow on the Road Runner.

Sneaky Pete is a device thats supposed to help replace a rear main seal.... Accept it's for the old rawhide/asbestos seals... I've replaced hundreds of seals including old rawhide seals... I've never used/needed a Sneaky Pete....
I probably wont need it either but for 2 bucks... Ya never know. Also let me run this by you guys. Before the cam failed the 383 never had a rear main leaking. Do you think its possible that IF that cam did walk backwards that it could have wore a hole in the cam plug at the back of the engine? Its leaking pretty bad now. I may have lost a half quart of oil during the break in.

Here is a sneaky pete at work.

Last edited:
Ok pulled the inspection cover off the trans and no oil in there. So its not the rear seal or the cam plug. I'm now suspecting the rear of both valve covers. I'm pulling them tomorrow. This will be the first time I have had a bad seal with Moroso Permalign gaskets. I may end up swapping them for some cork gaskets just to see if that fixes the issue.

you have a mechanical oil gauge? is the line leaking?

I think I have it figured out. I noticed that the valve cover bolts were bottoming out before the valve covers were fully seated. I added a washer to each but will change them out to studs very soon. I double and triple checked the rear main inside the bell area and bone dry. Drove the car down the road came back removed the inspection plate still bone dry inside. Oil coming from both sides rear of the valve covers. Took out a bolt and sized it up and its about a good 3/16 too long. They bottom out. So I'll get that fixed very soon.

1/2 quart during break sounds like a lot to fit through a valve cover leak.....
1/2 quart ish :) Its hard to tell when its on the ground in a puddle. But covers were leaking. And at 2200 ish rpms for 25 minutes I would expect that much.

Auto Transport Service
Back