• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GOOGLE RANKING

BIGSHCLUNK

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
Just curious, does a business's Google ranking come into play at all when you are looking for a product or service? I (kinda) get it for restaurants / hotels and the like. But I'm talking about anyplace else. You know.... building supplies, auto parts, farm an fleet. I was talking about it with another business owner today and we concluded that a good ranking does not seem to affect sales. This was prompted by a recent call I had from GODADDY wanting to handle all of our social media accounts for only too damn much money a month. Yes we do have a FB page for the shop (which is usually people asking stupid questions about something posted 2 years ago). We don't do snapchat or any other such nonsense. Maybe I'm just old...… :bs_flag:

SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a very confusing and highly competitive industry ... they will gladly take your money and it may or may not improve your rankings / sales. If you have your own website (not just a FB page) it can improve sales but the costs will often out weigh any additional revenue generation. (PS ... I have 44 years in the IT industry)

Yes we do have a website managed by HIBU (the main Yellowpages competitor). WE currently have a 4.5 Google rank.... I dont believe that "rank" has done jack $hit on terms of business. I get solicited weekly on improving our SEO. I cant fathom anyone else knows anything different from what they do. Altho I have heard a crap load of unsubstantiated claims. From what I've seen (been in business for 35 F'n years) it's more about how much $$$$ do you want to throw into it. As my dad (96 years old) would say... buncha bullshit....

SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a very confusing and highly competitive industry ... they will gladly take your money and it may or may not improve your rankings / sales. If you have your own website (not just a FB page) it can improve sales but the costs will often out weigh any additional revenue generation. (PS ... I have 44 years in the IT industry)
44 years in IT, damn.
Were you a mailman prior to 1985?:poke:

I generally look at the Google rankings but with a grain of salt but mostly ask people that I know if they've had any experience with a particular business. The way people are now a days, if they are in a bad mood when they go somewhere (which so many seem to be these days), it won't matter how nice they were treated or what happened to them...they're going to give a bad ranking.

44 years in IT, damn.
Were you a mailman prior to 1985?:poke:

That's funny. No I started in 1976 on IBM Mainframes using punch cards ... technology has advanced just a little bit since then.

main-mouse.jpg

Mainframes using punch cards ... technology has advanced just a little bit since then.

Amen to that! I used to work on dry cleaning machines that used punch cards. Even that was too difficult for me to understand, lol. Thank God I understoood the mechanical aspects of the machine, meaning luckily I got the steam, Perc, drain, recirc, refrigeration, yada, yada.

I paid HIBU for 3 months without a single conversion with PPC and decided I paid them enough and replaced my Credit Card so they couldn't charge me any more.

I pay absolutely no attention to the Google rating.

I always thought and it looks to me like the site that gets the most hits are always on top. The most popular searches come up first. JMO (Just My Observation)

The way I see it, if those random SEO optimizers had no trouble finding my site to solicit my business, then my potential customers have no trouble finding me either.

As to Google rankings I have a 5.0 with only four formal reviews. The shop's FaceBook Fan Page -- a 4.9 out of 5 -- has over 3,000 fans and hundreds of formal reviews. The only two bringing it down to a 4.9 have never had work done here so why they rated it is anyone's guess.

I will say that in over 14 years in business, not one person has ever claimed to have hired PSC because of its Google ranking.

Screenshot_2020-08-09-13-32-25.png

I don't rank Google very high these days and think even less of paid advertising. I you are of any value you will have all the customers and what ever you will ever want.
There are days Google is only worth a flat zero in ratings.

Auto Transport Service
Back