• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got to look at the eclipse using an old school welding hood....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
Kinda cool to see that stuff but not high on my list. Only reason I was reminded of it is because of the sun shining on the rear part of the carport's floor. Had a bunch of those crescent shapes shining on the concret through the tree limps/leaves. My auto darkening welding helmet (cheap one) wouldn't stay on dark no matter what the setting was but my old and now defunct auto darkening helmet would years ago. Nothing wrong with the basic old school welding hood though....!

Kinda cool to see that stuff but not high on my list. Only reason I was reminded of it is because of the sun shining on the rear part of the carport's floor. Had a bunch of those crescent shapes shining on the concret through the tree limps/leaves. My auto darkening welding helmet (cheap one) wouldn't stay on dark no matter what the setting was but my old and now defunct auto darkening helmet would years ago. Nothing wrong with the basic old school welding hood though....!

My auto darkening helmet is the same. Must be triggered by a different uv range or something.

My auto darkening helmet is the same. Must be triggered by a different uv range or something.
Mine will go dark looking at the sky but as soon as it's aimed at the sun, forget it. Glad I still have my old school hoods....

Not a bright idea
Actually, it was very bright because at one point the hood allowed me to look for a couple of seconds then turned off. That's when I remembered where my old school non-auto darkening hood was!

Didn't see a thing here at 5100 ft ASL at all. Nadda, Zip, Nothing!!! cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Didn't see a thing here at 5100 ft ASL at all. Nadda, Zip, Nothing!!! cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
Well, it's mostly a far western thing and down into western Texas. It wasn't a full eclipse for me but was about 75-80%....from what it looked like, about another 200 miles west of me got to see it as a full one....

Too much cloud cover and fog to see the sun in W OR. Just got darker then lightened up

Same! I still have a Jackson fixed shade hood I used when my Lincoln hood stopped darkening.

Too much cloud cover and fog to see the sun in W OR. Just got darker then lightened up
I noticed it got a little bit not so bright here and yet not a cloud in the sky....

The annular eclipse peers though the clouds over Skinner Butte in Eugene, Oregon on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023 . . .

000000 10-14-23 Eclipse.jpg

Don't know when this one was taken but it's a great shot of an annular eclipse or "Ring of Fire" resulting from a perfect alignment of moon, sun and camera . . .
000000 10-14-23 Eclipse2.jpg

Took a peek and was way too bright.
Didn't notice anything.
Usually a partial eclipse here makes the day look an odd, kinds dingy color.
However, when I shut mu eyes, there was clearly a "U" shaped "burn" visible.

Note to self- don't do that.

Auto Transport Service
Back