• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Pyrenees vs Bull Moose

One of my favorite breeds, besides the Belgian Malinois.

May be a great breed but that one took dumb pills for breakfast! That would have pissed e off not coming when called! I’ve seen this same scenario not end well for the dog. Bull moose in not something to mess with at all!

May be a great breed but that one took dumb pills for breakfast! That would have pissed e off not coming when called! I’ve seen this same scenario not end well for the dog. Bull moose in not something to mess with at all!
Please read up on Great Pyr behavior and you will see that they are bred over centuries to be livestock guardians in remote pastures and will often operate sans human direction for weeks at a time. They are very intelligent, fiercely loyal, and are noted for making up their own minds about when to obey human directions. That dog immediately inserted itself between the danger it saw in the big moose's proximity to it's "pack" which included men. women, and children. It was doing exactly what a great Pyr is supposed to do, which is to challenge all threats to it's pack and harass that threat until it leaves the area. NOT to attack the threat, to harass it. By barking and allowing it to chase him /her in the opposite direction away from the protected pack. However, make no mistake, that dog would have fought the moose to the death to guard the pack, should it have been necessary. They are NOT attack dogs. They are skilled and fearless guardians. My Great Pyr, Remy, acts the same way. He will NOT obey commands to "come" while he is barking down a threat. Not until he deems the threat to be gone. Period. please read up on a dog breed before disparaging that animal for doing it's job as bred into it over centuries. You do the animal a great disservice. The owner in this case obviously did not know his own dogs characteristics or he would have not been yelling for it to come back. Thanks. This is why I red exed you. No offense meant.

All I can think of now is Saturday mornings.
When is Road Runner on?

tumblr_n13m5bfWVH1s2wio8o1_400.gif

giphy.gif

I do agree with you that a bull moose is not to be messed with normally. We have many here in Vermont. Also, if the dog had stayed quiet the Moose might have simply walked off into the woods on it's own. Then again, a Great Pyrenees will never take that chance.

No offense taken, no worries. I will say, most if not all of dogs' issues are the humans behind them. Not understanding and proper training and care. Even then they are animals with their own mind. If they are bred that way, many times there will nothing that can be done. Training Shepherds for work duty, they are very similar in the way that once they get turned on, it is very difficult to turn them off and listen to commands. However, they can and must be trained correctly and the ones that don't again I default to the humans!

Not trying to do any disservice or offense to GP owners at all, I understand the GP and their breedings..and they cannot help themselves in herding, protecting and listening to humans. They are bred to work and I get that. However, just saying trying to herd or protect against a bull moose isn't usually going end well.

The Swiss government has posted videos on Youtube on how to conduct yourself in the presence of livestock guardian dogs targeted at hikers and mountain bikers. In the video, they simply say that "the livestock guardian dog cannot be frightened away."

No offense taken, no worries. I will say, most if not all of dogs' issues are the humans behind them. Not understanding and proper training and care. Even then they are animals with their own mind. If they are bred that way, many times there will nothing that can be done. Training Shepherds for work duty, they are very similar in the way that once they get turned on, it is very difficult to turn them off and listen to commands. However, they can and must be trained correctly and the ones that don't again I default to the humans!

Not trying to do any disservice or offense to GP owners at all, I understand the GP and their breedings..and they cannot help themselves in herding, protecting and listening to humans. They are bred to work and I get that. However, just saying trying to herd or protect against a bull moose isn't usually going end well.
Agreed. Our Remy went to training for many weeks. He does well inside the facility where there are no dangers to be dealt with. Outside the building, not so much, but we did try. The trainer did say that this breed is one of the most difficult to train because of breeding. he's good much of the time till he perceives a threat. Then forget it.

The Swiss government has posted videos on Youtube on how to conduct yourself in the presence of livestock guardian dogs targeted at hikers and mountain bikers. In the video, they simply say that "the livestock guardian dog cannot be frightened away."
Exactly right, and why I say that they will fight to the death if attacked. otherwise they try to herd the threat away from their charges..be they human or animals. We have cross country bicycle trippers who stop for a break at our farm in the summer. They set up on the yard by the pasture. He will go out there and sit on the pasture side of the fence, about 20 feet away and watch them. No amount of offering treats and nice talking will cause him to move. Only touching the fence and then he goes off. The contractor who runs the service has been schooled about it and he tells the people to not touch the fence or throw anything over it. I put a sign on the outside of the fence saying it's electrified, although it isn't.

There are many stories of Great Pyr's fighting off wolves and bears. In single combat no less.

I want my dogs to "COME"! when beckoned..
I do not wish to be spending thousands on unnecessary vet bills or getting another dog because the previous one didnt listen.

What a stupid dog, at one point the dog actually had the moose going towards the family that he was allegedly protecting. That dog endangered the family, it didnt protect it all.
Those people wished to leave the moose alone and GTFOutta there before the moose emerged from the water, but couldnt because Fido was too busy acting like a dumbass. Id say it was the people who saved the dog if anything.

Reminds me of an old memory. My sister once had a pitbull, a very stupid one. Tried that **** w a horse and ended up in a hole.

Point being, Ill take an obedient dog all day everyday.

I want my dogs to "COME"! when beckoned..
I do not wish to be spending thousands on unnecessary vet bills or getting another dog because the previous one didnt listen.

What a stupid dog, at one point the dog actually had the moose going towards the family that he was allegedly protecting. That dog endangered the family, it didnt protect it all.
Those people wished to leave the moose alone and GTFOutta there before the moose emerged from the water, but couldnt because Fido was too busy acting like a dumbass. Id say it was the people who saved the dog if anything.

Reminds me of an old memory. My sister once had a pitbull, a very stupid one. Tried that **** w a horse and ended up in a hole.

Point being, Ill take an obedient dog all day everyday.
Point made. Disagree with everything you said. No offense.

I will say that a Great Pyr is NOT a dog to take on family vacations or off leash in the wild. it will do what it was bred to do without control in place. The whole thing could have been avoided if the owner know more about the dog in his/her care.

Point made. Disagree with everything you said. No offense.
None taken.
Approximately 1:30 into the film.
Family has to turn and retreat. No denying.
Also no denying this confrontation could have been avoided.
Had the dog not been there, the moose would have gone about his business, the family would have distanced themselves rather than trying to gather their dog. No?
Fortunately for the dog, moose's defensive instict is to go back into the water where he had the advantage and the dog knew better than to follow.

Mess with the bull, get the horns.....

glad it ended the way it did

Bull Moose are nothing to mess with,
hell a cow (Moose) is nothing to mess with

I saw one stomp the **** out of a tourist,
in Anchorage

seen them chase dogs, bears
& seen a Big Bull even stomp the **** out of,
ultimately it killed a 'big lone wolf' too
the grey wolf (male IIRC) went over & laid down to die
it was just outside of Palmer, Alaska

My sister Candy has one (Great Pyrenees),