• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Days and That 80's Show.

SteveSS

Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
When I was in high school we thought everything 50's was cool. We had 50's days where we wore 50's style fashion. The Happy Days TV show was a big hit, Ameican Graffiti was an icon movie.

In 2002 we had the That 80's Show. Both of these cultural phemonmons were looking back only 20 years.

Now if we look back at 2002. So what? Is there anything neat or nostalgic you can think of from the early 2000's? We didn't have smartphones BFD!

Last edited:
911 was a game changer. A big reality check.
A lot of folks in the world hate the USA.

You mean this?

D172298B-9A05-4D26-8145-14396DA89CFE.png BB702453-7EDE-48DD-A636-C0E3C92C3C1E.jpeg

That 70's show reminded me of my childhood! I had older siblings who blazed the trail before me with my parents. My father always said the 50's were the best. If you ask me, it was the 70's! 440'

While I watched Happy Days when it aired and found it had funny skits, it was often just too put on overexaggerating; but most sit-comes were IMO. American Graffiti was a class act movie sparking the show. Has much changed through the half century? Still have jocks, greasers, and nerds? The latter were called ‘boneheads’ and greasers were ‘hoods’ back in my days of HS.

There was actually "That '80s Show" which was trying to ride the popularity of "T70sS", but lasted just one season. None of the same cast members.

I'm not nostalgic for anything from the first decade of the 21st Century whatsoever.

The 50's and early 60's were the best of times for me and I still like the music of that era. Everybody has things that take them back to "the good old days". For me it's the music and muscle cars.

Back To The Future was made in 1985 and Marty was sent back to 1955. If they made that movie today and went back to 1992, the big thing that was not around was the internet and cell phones. Other than that, the early 90s was not that memorable.

The only thing I can come up with is rockin roll died and all the new pussy music started.

I was just thinking about this very topic. I was watching a movie from 2002 (20 years old) and nothing looked old or nostalgic to me. Then I reflected on how Happy Days aired in the mid-1970's, and EVERYTHING was different. I guess what's changed in the past 50 years is that now, nothing seems to change (culturally).

I was just thinking about this very topic. I was watching a movie from 2002 (20 years old) and nothing looked old or nostalgic to me. Then I reflected on how Happy Days aired in the mid-1970's, and EVERYTHING was different. I guess what's changed in the past 50 years is that now, nothing seems to change (culturally).
Nothing changes for the better (culturally) that's for sure.

911 was a game changer. A big reality check.
A lot of folks in the world hate the USA.

Amazing how many people in the U.S. hate the United States, but will not leave for their "heaven" elsewhere. Meanwhile, thousands of people cross our borders illegally every day to get here and enjoy American life, including Mopar muscle cars and rock & roll.

If someone hates the U.S. because we were attacked by radicals, then they are pretty twisted and confused.

There was also "Sha-Na-Na", "Grease", and "Laverne and Shirley", as fond memories of the 50's and early 60's.

There have been some nostalgic "period pieces" about the 1980's lately (for instance "Stranger Things"), and a very few about the 90's.

Not sure anyone's ready for the 2000's yet.

Last edited:
I remember the ads when American Graffiti came out in 1973, the jingle was "Where were you in '62?" It was only an eleven year span, yet the culture was completely different. The soundtrack album was hugely popular.

Big difference is computers and phones. With my wife being a programmer since the late 70’s, we got our first PC in the mid- 80’s she set up for everything; bills, etc. The company I was with issued me my first laptop and a car phone around that time. No clerical to do the typing and filing and such. Less hunting for pay phones in the middle of nowhere; but signals were still an issue for some time yet. Cassette tapes using a recorder for reports I’d mail in went away to type all those on the laptop. Learning curve and extra hours. Worked about 10 years before all this change came about. Now we’re attached to these devices; can’t get 10 feet away from the I-phones before thinking I should grab it. Seems like I lived a whole other existence harder to remember what it ‘used’ to be like. Boomers are the last gen with such memories.

Gen X started with Atari 2600. Most didn't get a cell phone until the mid 1990's.
I had one in 1993. Signal and QoS was still an issue.
Worked on 48K "high speed" data line equipment, then 56K around 1995.

So, I beg to differ just a bit.

Auto Transport Service
Back