• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have an opportunity to buy a 1974 Roadrunner but engine has issues and there is a hole in frame. $2500 fair price?

tonyp25

Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
So I just got introduced to the B body forum because I bought a 74 dart. Well I had to sell one car to add a car and the car I sold the guy wants to do a partial trade for his 74 RR numbers matching. It would be for a value of $2500. Engine has an issue with oil pressure so he’s having trouble getting it running but there isn’t a knock. Frame has a hole. pics below. What do you guys think? I have a buddy that tears these engines apart (worst case I drop a larger engine in it) and another that does welding for a dealership. I still think I’d be below 10-15k in it and then maybe another 5-10 for a nice paint job. Just not sure how far done a rabbit hole I’m willing to go but boy do I love the look of the car.

IMG_5996.jpeg

IMG_5997.jpeg

IMG_6008.jpeg

IMG_6005.jpeg

IMG_6009.jpeg

IMG_6015.jpeg

IMG_6035.jpeg

IMG_6033.jpeg

IMG_6030.jpeg

IMG_6001.jpeg

Some more pictures, he has the rear bench seat just took it off to look for rust, it’s a 318 2bbl:

IMG_6017.jpeg

IMG_6019.jpeg

IMG_6018.jpeg

IMG_6016.jpeg

IMG_6014.jpeg

IMG_6013.jpeg

IMG_6010.jpeg

IMG_6006.jpeg

IMG_5998.jpeg

IMG_6012.jpeg

Those aren't really my thing, but guys are selling much worse for much more money....

I think they are sharp myself, but I grew up in the 80's not the 60's.

If the rest of the frame checks out then I say go for it. $2,500 isn't much and you could get most of that back (or more) parting it out if the the frame was toast.

These cars rust in peculiar ways - that hole in the frame might be the only one, the rest may be solid. But you won't know until you check.

Even if you had to part it out you would probably double your money...

Kinda hard to understand the post. If the car is $2500 then yeah go for it. But if it's part of a deal with the additional $2500 maybe not. If there is a hole like that in the frame the sheet metal is in worse shape. Hard to judge but the engine compartment pics look like patched rust on the cowl and hood hinge area. Looks like lots of hidden rust about to rear it's ugly head.

OEM tach dash that looks really nice. Console and shifter. You've some insurance policy to part out.

Is this a real post?

I mean a classic car for $2500 that needs work and the OP has to think about it?

I’m sorry but has anybody looked at prices lately?

I’ve seen rollers sell for triple that

If you have a friend who can do some welding and you have a guy who does motors buy it, drop a motor and fix the rust issues and you can flip that car for 15 to 20 grand even with the current paint.

That’s a rare year they don’t come up for sale too often I’m surprised no one is saying go for it.

I would’ve bought it the moment he said 2500.

I guess I’m just surprised that everybody seems to be more inclined to part the car out.

A while back, I was looking through the classics, and I found an ad for a Mopar. The guy wanted a rather low amount for the car, and I actually went to look at it just with the intention to look at it, but I ended up buying it. I took a friend with me. He saw the car, and he said man, even if you bought a junker and you wanted to make it look like this one it would triple in cost.

So I bought it right away and at the time it felt like the deal was so good that I was waiting for something to happen like the motor giving out or I find a big hole on the floor but but I figure even if I had 5 to 8 grand for a drivetrain and some rust repair. I’m still ahead of the game plus I had gone over the car and the car seemed solid. Too solid.

The guy had also mentioned that he had a lot of people look at it, but no one actually wanted to buy the car or they didn’t show up at all.

Anyway, I take the car to a car show a few weeks later and there’s this one particular guy looking at the car over and over like he’s a Barrett Jackson professional.

He comes up to me and he asked me is this the car that was listed on so and so website and I say yes it is.

He says I was supposed to go look at that car and buy it, but the price was so low that I thought there was something wrong with it. I can’t believe you got this car for that price. I said, I actually got it for lower than it was even listed when I got there I haggled.

The guy gave me his phone number, and said if I ever want to sell it to call him because he would even go 5k higher than what it was listed for but I don’t sell.

Last edited:
Is this a real post?

I mean a classic car for $2500 that needs work and the OP has to think about it?

I’m sorry but has anybody looked at prices lately?

I’ve seen rollers sell for triple that

If you have a friend who can do some welding and you have a guy who does motors buy it, drop a motor and fix the rust issues and you can flip that car for 15 to 20 grand even with the current paint.

That’s a rare year they don’t come up for sale too often I’m surprised no one is saying go for it.

I would’ve bought it the moment he said 2500.
Agreed, a lot of guys here think everything is junk unless it's in their garage. Lol. I mostly read for the entertainment value.

Agreed, a lot of guys here think everything is junk unless it's in their garage. Lol. I mostly read for the entertainment value.
Yup and then some guy will post about buying a 1981 dodge Aries four-door with a missing interior for 15 grand and everybody posts about what a phenomenal deal that was. Lolz

Maybe I’m just out of touch with the market now a days …

crawl under it, and check the rest of the frames and floor. How much bondo is in the body? As far as the engine...does it have a manual oil pressure gauge? If not, add one, don't go by the factory electrical gauge. I had a 318 showing low psi, and it was just a bad oil pump.

Well, if it were actually a 74 satellite with a shot 318, frame rot, and a bondo body it's not a 10k car...

Pennsylvania license plates. I'm surprised it passed the yearly safety inspection. You're in New York. I used to live there. That car will not pass New York State safety inspection because of the frame rails(s) rotting and the other stuff they will find.

You like the car,buy it
Everything can be fixed
I would buy it right now. My coronet was in worse condition but I knew could buy or make all the parts
Good price if you ask me

Yep, it needs work. First pic shows bondo in the rear quarter. She has rust issues but $2500 isn't bad. Get the engine running right then dig into the rust if you dare.

Last edited:
I think they are sharp myself, but I grew up in the 80's not the 60's.
Me too. Well, the 70s also but I was young then. My 'muscle car memories' are mostly all 80s, heavy metal, raked stances and primer! Oh and girls with big hair and zip-arounds....

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back