• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have an opportunity to buy a 1974 Roadrunner but engine has issues and there is a hole in frame. $2500 fair price?

I’d buy it now and make up my mind about it later. I don’t see it as much of a risk to buy for that price. It’s still a nearly 50 year old B-body. IMO this site alone is proof enough of how sought after they are. Even if they need a lot of work.

Check the Vin. # it appears that the bird is backwards and the stripes are wrong. It looks to be a good deal even if it’s a clone. I happen to own one, that’s why I say some things are not correct. I wouldn’t take 2,500 for mine and it needs restored.

BA29576E-6CED-4337-86F8-2D77BEB18DEE.png

BFF25D0A-5239-495C-B8CA-6D10B578A5EE.png

Pennsylvania license plates. I'm surprised it passed the yearly safety inspection. You're in New York. I used to live there. That car will not pass New York State safety inspection because of the frame rails(s) rotting and the other stuff they will find.
I don’t know about the rot in New York not passing. I was just in New York for a trip to the Adirondack mountains and this was at the pumps next to me with a cop sitting at the gas station also… Drove out right past him and kept going..

1A822E72-A0F9-4318-B559-2C6E8CD4B1A8.jpeg

680EC053-215B-4346-9ED5-97F11CD96A48.jpeg

I don’t know about the rot in New York not passing. I was just in New York for a trip to the Adirondack mountains and this was at the pumps next to me with a cop sitting at the gas station also… Drove out right past him and kept going..

View attachment 1484964

View attachment 1484965
What a pile!

Cop looks at stickers (maybe) and assumes the inspector did his job.

View attachment 1484964

View attachment 1484965
Don’t see any Fords here with a box that slants towards the cab. Could that possibly be some option available in the USA. Would keep things from sliding out the back, but why? Did they have enough power to lift the front end to start a slide???

I think $2500 is a low risk investment. I'm sure there are other issues here and there. But certainly enough there to justify the purchase.

Don’t see any Fords here with a box that slants towards the cab. Could that possibly be some option available in the USA. Would keep things from sliding out the back, but why? Did they have enough power to lift the front end to start a slide???
It was the bed rails, I am sure were completely rotted out. Heck could even be the frame rotted. It didn't even have exhaust just a muffler under the middle of the cab which you KNOW exhaust is going right into the cab as it had no rockers or bottom of the doors!

It was the bed rails, I am sure were completely rotted out. Heck could even be the frame rotted. It didn't even have exhaust just a muffler under the middle of the cab which you KNOW exhaust is going right into the cab as it had no rockers or bottom of the doors!
Wrote that in jest. We have some vehicles from the early 50’s here that have been sitting outside forever, that would pass safety rust wise. I know of a well optioned 49-51 GMC that a guy got his drivers licence in . Been in the family since new. Even has a radio, and sunvisor.
Have a 89 Chrysler LeBaron coupe that will pass all safety inspections.
Point is we have restorable cars that people here won’t really look at. 60-70’s C and Y bodies that are drivers, may need brakes or something are going complete to Derby guys/ wreckers for about 200.00 US$. Wrecker just got a 78 Diplomat body minus engine trans and bucket seats for 60.00 US.

Wrote that in jest. We have some vehicles from the early 50’s here that have been sitting outside forever, that would pass safety rust wise. I know of a well optioned 49-51 GMC that a guy got his drivers licence in . Been in the family since new. Even has a radio, and sunvisor.
Have a 89 Chrysler LeBaron coupe that will pass all safety inspections.
Point is we have restorable cars that people here won’t really look at. 60-70’s C and Y bodies that are drivers, may need brakes or something are going complete to Derby guys/ wreckers for about 200.00 US$. Wrecker just got a 78 Diplomat body minus engine trans and bucket seats for 60.00 US.
I figured as much. We get your fleet vehicles down here in 1-2 years old with 15-30K on them and they are already rusted...

I figured as much. We get your fleet vehicles down here in 1-2 years old with 15-30K on them and they are already rusted...
If I have it correct, if you are getting your fleet vehicles from Canada, they must be coming from Ontario or Quebec. Early rust buckets. Our cars and ones from Alberta survive much better. Our 2006 daily driver Toyota 4 Runner 149,000 miles does not have any rust through anywhere.

If I have it correct, if you are getting your fleet vehicles from Canada, they must be coming from Ontario or Quebec. Early rust buckets. Our cars and ones from Alberta survive much better. Our 2006 daily driver Toyota 4 Runner 149,000 miles does not have any rust through anywhere.
Yes from Ontario for sure.. I looked at a "new" to me one year old truck and everything under the hood that was aluminum was corroded and every weld in the frame was rusted. That truck only had 13k on it when the dealer said they got it at an auction I asked where as it was so rusty already he said we buy them from Ontario.

Home sweet home I say :thumbsup:
Yes it’s beautiful up there. We stayed on an old Whitney “camp” that people I know purchased from them 30 years ago and redid it. It’s 12 miles straight back into the woods on a lake. Sadly it’s being sold now but back to the guy who inherited all of Mary Lou’s estate….

626E5191-FB9B-4551-A5FD-8715431C16DA.jpeg

FE5C3CF6-352F-4A1A-A21E-1FF9C07B3809.jpeg

18AA1BAB-BB1D-4F18-A05C-F25F17E7C673.jpeg

A573B1D0-C031-4BF5-95E6-FEC39115B818.jpeg

Jeez I did not expect all these responses. Thanks so much for the info and input all! I bought it. I got guys near me selling rolling rusted out chassis of satellites for $8k and they are selling. I confirmed the VIN starts with RM21. I find it interesting whoever painted it put the roadrunners backward. I don’t think this color was available in 74” either. I think it fits the condition of the car. It arrives on a flat bed Wednesday. I’ll update you all once I have the engine apart and know more about the frame.

Me too. Well, the 70s also but I was young then. My 'muscle car memories' are mostly all 80s, heavy metal, raked stances and primer! Oh and girls with big hair and zip-arounds....
I just missed out on the zip-arounds!! Hell I missed out on all the good stuff...

$2500 in trade value for that is a good deal even if it is just a Satty, ....just go in eyes wide open that there is a lot of rust under that bubbling paint. Heck, if you can get that 318 running you could flip it for 2x - 3x as-is.

Jeez I did not expect all these responses. Thanks so much for the info and input all! I bought it. I got guys near me selling rolling rusted out chassis of satellites for $8k and they are selling. I confirmed the VIN starts with RM21. I find it interesting whoever painted it put the roadrunners backward. I don’t think this color was available in 74” either. I think it fits the condition of the car. It arrives on a flat bed Wednesday. I’ll update you all once I have the engine apart and know more about the frame.
I think you have done well to buy it. As stated before , just a few of the parts alone would put you over 2500. Although from the pictures it looks very restorable

That would be at my house for $2500. Way more than 2500 in parts there. Not that I would part it, but always good insurance to justify the buy.

Auto Transport Service
Back