• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers on a Hemi - What about the Choke?

bobheazlit

Local time
2:33 AM
Reaction score
Putting a new exhaust on my 67 GTX and considering a header swap. OG Carter AFBs with the heat actuated choke. If i do decide on headers. What do you do about a choke...or are there electric conversions out there that you recommend?

Thanks!

Bob

I know edlebrock offers an electric choke for their version of the AFB but I'm not sure if you could mount it to an original Carter or not. Might be worth investigating. My heat crossover is blocked on the 6 pack so I just run without a choke, no issues unless it's really cold out

If you have an electric fuel pump or a mech pump fill carbs if necessary. Hit the key get motor cranking pump gas pedal 4/5 times should fire up. Drive ability will suck for 5 minutes or so. Easier than a electric choke a manual choke cable.

Hemi bored / stroked don't have a choke.
Like said above pump 4/5 tmes after cranking
a few rounds and fires right up.
Just warm up a bit before it idles good

You can put the modern "Edelbrock" type electric choke on your rear AFB. Not a problem. I've had multiple hemi's and never really worried about the choke, but I live in Az. so it's never 20 degrees outside either. You could always experiment with the step down rods on the rear carb as well to see if your motor likes a hair richer A/F ratio. Usually hemi's respond positively to a little leaner ratio, but you never know, depending on what else you've done to the motor.

Dual Dominator's on a tunnel ram with headers on my Hemi with no choke. It fires right up & idles nice instantly. Of course I don't drive it in the winter though. LOL. Almost seems fuel injected.

IMG9505701.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back