• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner in 66 coronet

Tim2266ev2

Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently restoring my 66 coronet , all body and paint is finished, moving on to the interior. My question is, how difficult is a headliner to install yourself? I have done all the work on the car myself and want or would like to do this as well. All glass is out of the car and The old one is still in it, and I know that each bow goes in a specific location. I received the new headliner from legendary. Any tips, recommendations, etc? I have seen some videos online and it doesn't look too bad, but I know that it is a professional doing it. Thank you in advance.

You're welcome. I used the needle trick to locate the screw holes. But some one told me it is easier to put the screws in the holes. Then they are easy to find and make the slit for them.

This is easy to do if you are flexable and can work on your knees. The secret is getting the proper glue to hold it up.Go to a shop that does this work and buy the good stuff from them. Also lay out the headliner for a few days before you start this will help with the folds from being in the shipping box.

I have done a few, getting the sail panels in and straight { no wrinkles } is the key to a good install.
Take your time in that area, Use a contact style of adhesive that will let you pull and reposition and restick. { 3M } makes a good adhesive for this.
You bought your headliner from a top shelf company and that's good and a large part of the battle. Do not cut the rod channels at the ends. Legendary makes them the correct length. If you feel you need to cut one side or the other your not lined up straight.
Once cut your screwed from getting a snug fit on the sides.
Like posted above install your garment holder , dome light , visors screws and leave them out a few turns to locate after.
A few spring loaded small clamps and a extra pair of hands helps a bunch.
If your near or past 50 a couple old shop blankets for your knees. LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back