• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEI Distributor recommendation's please

Karl5203

Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
Which brand a where is best to source? . 72 RR 440 Want to do away with MSD

Just want to enjoy the car its a cruiser. Recommendations on best place to buy a HEI - GM style and wires.

The ones on the "A" site are amazing price but each has some concerning reviews.

Been working with two MSD boxes for a few weeks now. 72 RR 440

Just want to enjoy the car its a cruiser. Recommendations on best place to buy a HEI - GM style and wires.

The ones on the "A" site are amazing price but each has some concerning reviews.

Tons of ways to do it. They sell RB Hei all in one dist, but usually from China. The GM 4 pin module works really well with a stock curved Mopar electronic dist. Why just GM style? Then you have to get wires also.

Last edited:

I purchased a chinese distributor from RA went through it to lube and inspect then purchased one of these: Mopar HEI Conversion
It's been working fine for 6 years now. I went with a new distributor as it was cheaper than anything I could find used.
Mike

Exactly what I do with them. Biggest thing with any ignition system is making sure the curve is right for your combination. Get it right it is like adding a small shot of nitrous.

Last edited:
Good system out of whats around.

Last edited:
Just be aware that a GM HEI in a B/RB engine will work with stock heads, but may cause interference with aftermarket [ alum ] heads.

I have used heaps of Chinese HEIs over the years in different engines. Only one has 'failed', owner claims it was the coil, but I never saw it to verify it. I strip these dists to modify the centri curve. They are all well made, tight clearances, parts are lubricated. Centri weights, centre plate are chromed, originals were not.

What I do for the GM 4 pin for people.

DSC02014.JPG

DSC02015.JPG

DSC02016.JPG

GM SUCKS. Wrong website

After using HEI module and mini starter, The Plymouth does not sound like a MOPAR starting. Starts right away and does not have gear reduction cranking sound.

Using stock electronic distributor with module on firewall. Also had to run new wiring as there was too much voltage drop using old wiring that had old connectors and wire was internally corroded.

Auto Transport Service
Back