• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEI like I'm 5

Gentlemen,
Checking the links does not convince me into changing. The GM HEI module's Achilles heel is heat unless the module can be adequately cooled, it will fail. Later, improvements utilized IGBT (Insulated gate bi-polar transistor) current switching circuitry, reducing the current the module must handle. The GM coil design used higher primary resistance for lower current draw and more secondary windings for higher secondary plug voltage. The spark plugs then used a significantly larger gap to give the leaner fuel charge the best chance of being ignited. This was all due to catalytic converter's inability to handle unburned fuel.
My origional question was one of curiosity not ctitism and what was the underlying reason for the change.
Bob Renton

So you answered you question of why the HEI is superior.

712128-04cc957ff280ce0c22593da445b0576d.png

You guys talked me into it, I am ordering this large cap HEI for mine...sweeeeeeet! And a Quadrajet to go with it.

Last edited:
I marked where the old dizzy's rotor was pointing as a guide, as well as the base of the dizzy to keep it close, i will be retiming it though.
Removed the old dizzy, stabbed the new, got all the marks lined up and rotor facing the same direction.

I've got the correct pigtail for the HEI, wired red wire from pigtail (battery side) to the blue wire from the ballast resistor, test light shows it's hot when ignition is on (testing on the new connector)

Got no spark.. Rewired it exactly the same with the + from the now removed coil, which shows to have power into the party.
So at this point ive got + coil wire and blue (run wire?) From ballast resistor into the new pigtail that plugs into the battery side of the dizzy.
No spark.. I'm limited to a test light right now..
My multimeter is at work in somebody else's tool (never lend tools, I'll never learn my lesson) box that is locked this weekend.

I'm wondering if the + coil wire is set up to reduce to 6 volts for the old set up?

I'll get pictures of how I hooked it up momentarily, playing mr.mom this morning.

Thanks for the help so far guys!
I apologize for being a prick to BeatersRus.. I was skimming the page real quick and misunderstood what he had said.. 100% my fault, I should have been paying better attention.

So, what happened to this?

Last edited:
Gentlemen,
I'm still puzzled as to the infatuation with the GM's HEI system other than the module's compact size. Its still ttiggered by a magnet pick up device. The Mopar distributor uses the same magnet device only a little physically different. In my opinion the large red HEI cap/coil is butt ugly. The HEI system is not without fault...they have been known to fail: module, pick up coil and the rotor burn thru. For my money, I'll continue to use the original Prestolite dual point distributor in my GTX....it works just fine and its a lot easier to trouble shoot and repair. NOS points and condenser are available on the internet or eBay or locally for $15-20. I'll just keep what l have....
The Pertronix device is a Hall effect switch that also turns the coil primary current on and off...just a smaller package. If you use this device, it has been suggested that a spare be carried...just in case, as they are not readily available in auto parts stores. Just my opinion of course.
Bob Renton

Gentlemen,
I'm still puzzled as to the infatuation with the GM's HEI system other than the module's compact size. Its still ttiggered by a magnet pick up device. The Mopar distributor uses the same magnet device only a little physically different. In my opinion the large red HEI cap/coil is butt ugly. The HEI system is not without fault...they have been known to fail: module, pick up coil and the rotor burn thru. For my money, I'll continue to use the original Prestolite dual point distributor in my GTX....it works just fine and its a lot easier to trouble shoot and repair. NOS points and condenser are available on the internet or eBay or locally for $15-20. I'll just keep what l have....
The Pertronix device is a Hall effect switch that also turns the coil primary current on and off...just a smaller package. If you use this device, it has been suggested that a spare be carried...just in case, as they are not readily available in auto parts stores. Just my opinion of course.
Bob Renton

There has been enough posted in this discussion so I guess you will never get it and thats ok.

Post 37 is hei system, not the coil in the cap hei.

Post 42 has a link that explains it all

If you happy with your system thats cool, run it but like the Harley guys say “ if I have to explain you wouldn't understand.
Well its been explained.

Frank,
I appreciate the effort and examples shown and being an engineer, the dicipline asks why (not how). Does the conversion fix real issues or perceived issues. For my 1970 RS33V0A****** I'll stick with the Prestolite dual point distributor. But for my '18 GMC Yukon Denali I'll stick with the individual coil packs and variable valve timing and all of the latest sophistication and innovations.....you pay your money and take your choice.
Bob Renton

The links explain the advantage of HEI. At one point you even answered that question yourself about better combustion in a lean burn system!

A wise man once old me, don't let arrogance close your mind.

Fran,
I'm not exactly sure what your little pix (imogee?) represents...I'm sort of old school where feelings or thoughts are expressed in words.
I was just sort of poking fun with the whole concept of the change to GM's HEI distributor and components for the tangible or perhaps intangible reasons or perhaps just to be different. No animosity intended.
Bob Renton

hey guys , for what its worth to any body out there , i've designed an adapter to install a sm or bb chevy type ign dizzy in a la or a or early hemi's dodge , desoto n low deck chrysler blocks . i did this adapter for my early hemis do drop down the cost of magneto ign for my racers . it works sweet , and takes that down finger bracket at the base away , puts a squeeze clamp directly on the ign dizzy housing . have not offered them to sell to the public yet . so this is exclusive to members only . your not moving it to adjust dizzy timing , so a gasket or just rtv sealant stops oil from the cam valley to keep out .
DSC01094.JPG
DSC01095.JPG
DSC01096.JPG

well rirenton , gm stuff is cheap compared to most of the mopar stuff offered up , just for a sample of costs , a working used magneto for a chevy verses chrysler on ebay , talking vertex type magneto's here , i bought 4 chevy's to one chrysler . so 4 to 1 in costs . how do i know , there are millions of chevys and only thousands of mopars . its just supply and demand . pomonamissel .

Fran,
I'm not exactly sure what your little pix (imogee?) represents...I'm sort of old school where feelings or thoughts are expressed in words.
I was just sort of poking fun with the whole concept of the change to GM's HEI distributor and components for the tangible or perhaps intangible reasons or perhaps just to be different. No animosity intended.
Bob Renton
Just you both said it all several earlier.
Dual points work fine it's maintenance that why electronic ignition, mo. Noticed in ignition guys complaining about condenser failure unless you use NOS, just an observation.

fran blacker , is right , i ran a 52 241 hemi dual piont dizzy in my 318 hp , plugs burn beautiful in it . it bolted right in .

Auto Transport Service
Back