• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEI like I'm 5

Alright... I'm not give up yet..

Update: I got fed up with messing with the red hei big cap dizzy.

I have a new coil.
New ignition control module (GM 4 post)
Factory mopar dizzy with a new pickup.

I followed every step from the picture..

I have the brown cranking wire (balast removed) to positive post on coil as well as the blue "run" wire.
Both show to have power, I also have 12 gauge wire from ICM to the positive post on coil for a total of three wires going to positive post.

Grounded from the ICM to neg. On coil.

Fired up yesterday, was starting to time it, it petered out and hasn't started since.

Brown and blue (crank and run) wires both have power, I installed the new coil and magnetic pick up at this point and I have no spark.

I'll have power at the positive post on coil while cranking, and with the key in "on" position.. But no power to the coil to dizzy wire during crank or on.

I've used both an accel coil and a mopar performance coil and get no power to dizzy.

Any suggestions?

Screenshot_2019-06-30-09-36-36.png

Did you recheck air gap on dist and ICM ground? You switched coils? If your using crimp connector check them.

What all is eliminated when switching to a GM ignition control module? Ive got the wiring harness out and I'm removing any wire thats not needed and removing everything from the firewall that isnt needed... Ive got to get this car back on the road as soon as possible. Any further advice is much appreciated. Thank you for the advice so far.

Last edited:
The links explain the advantage of HEI. At one point you even answered that question yourself about better combustion in a lean burn system!

A wise man once old me, don't let arrogance close your mind.
But I don't have a lean-burn system nor do I want one. So what's the point? Lean burn creates excessive heat that requires more electronic to keep things cool and more money spent.

But I don't have a lean-burn system nor do I want one. So what's the point? Lean burn creates excessive heat that requires more electronic to keep things cool and more money spent.

Go back and click on the links that explain the advantage of HEI over a 50 year old technology that runs on 8 volts.

Coil still only puts out what voltage that is required to fire the plug. The spark plug determines what that voltage is and not the coil or the type of ignition system. I like these sales gimmicks they have been around for years.
But if you like it good for you.

Coil still only puts out what voltage that is required to fire the plug. The spark plug determines what that voltage is and not the coil or the type of ignition system. I like these sales gimmicks they have been around for years.
But if you like it good for you.

Apparently you never bothered to go back, click on the links and educate yourself. If you did you would know HEI is anything but a gimmick. If your happy with your 50 year old 8 volt system, good for you

Apparently you never bothered to go back, click on the links and educate yourself. If you did you would know HEI is anything but a gimmick. If your happy with your 50 year old 8 volt system, good for you
Yea I went back. You need to ditch the article and go study ignition basics 1o1.

I know ignition 102. I replaced my 50 yo 8 volt garbage system with HEI. Thats why I’m the poster boy for it.

No biggie, you won’t miss what you never had.

Think for everybody who agrees someone will disagree .

Ill settle this once and for all
Let just go back to vibrating spark coils such as were used on model T fords LOL

Ill settle this once and for all
Let just go back to vibrating spark coils such as were used on model T fords LOL
Oh you think........that will end it. If it ends on this thread just wait.:praying:

What happened to the "better than sliced bread" large cap HEI?

Fancy gizmo's don't work or if they do work initially they don't work for long and usually quit working at the most inopportune time.....
Bob Renton

Its sad that you have such a low level of intellegence and verbalization skills not to be able to express your thoughts other than through the use of profanity....or what ever your stated expression was supposed to to mean. Education is a wonderful thing.

Its sad that you have such a low level of intellegence and verbalization skills not to be able to express your thoughts other than through the use of profanity....or what ever your stated expression was supposed to to mean. Education is a wonderful thing.

I agee. His post #67 showed his intelligence post #78 solidified it.

Now onto the main topic. At this stage I don't care what ignition you have there must be something else going on.

Auto Transport Service
Back