• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help!!! 64 Polara 500 firewall bolts

Polara 500 707

Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
EF947275-6642-4B95-9F2E-351CDD7ED028.jpeg
Ok guys, going to lean on everyone’s knowledge here. I’m cleaning up the firewall on my 64 Polara 500. Not fully smoothing it out, but getting rid of a few holes and such.

The car was partially disassembled when I bought it so I’m not sure WHAT mounts on these 3 studs (see pics)! 99% sure the master cylinder mounts in the four holes below, but no idea about the 3 studs in the triangular shape above. I don’t think it was a brake booster. Pretty sure this was a single bore MC. Thanks gentlemen!
EF947275-6642-4B95-9F2E-351CDD7ED028.jpeg
F513F76F-3B67-4C5F-8E10-B8399CF59351.jpeg

There should be a rectangular heavy gauge plate that bolts to top 2 bolts and extends down past the master cylinder. Its a stiffening plate so when you push down the brake pedal the firewall does not flex.
The lower middle bolt holds a flat wire bracket that holds part of wiring harness in place. The metal bracket will have a hole in it . The bottom 2 holes in the firewall are used to secure bottom part of stiffening plate to firewall

There should be a rectangular heavy gauge plate that bolts to top 2 bolts and extends down past the master cylinder. Its a stiffening plate so when you push down the brake pedal the firewall does not flex.
The lower middle bolt holds a flat wire bracket that holds part of wiring harness in place. The metal bracket will have a hole in it . The bottom 2 holes in the firewall are used to secure bottom part of stiffening plate to firewall

Ski is correct, and as an additional FYI, 2 slightly different style plates were used on the 64 Dodges. The plate for a manual braked car was different than a car equipped with power brakes.

Thanks for all of the replies. And the pictures really help too! I’ve got that plate set aside. I’ll check to see which one it is.

I am going to do a disc brake swap, but I can only imagine that stiffening plate will still need to be in place.

very helpful! I think your car color may be what mine originally was. I think my paint code is DD. Someone did a back mask paint job over it at some point. Actually going to have a paint shop do a spray out for me soon. Luckily a few parts on the car weren’t painted so they’re going to scan the color.

Thanks for all of the replies. And the pictures really help too! I’ve got that plate set aside. I’ll check to see which one it is.

I am going to do a disc brake swap, but I can only imagine that stiffening plate will still need to be in place.

Yes you will need that plate in place.

Auto Transport Service
Back