• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help settle a bet

Aarons Air

Local time
5:40 PM
Reaction score
On a 1968 coronet, did the factory attach the rear window molding, with clips held on by screws, or clips held in with studs ? Anyone have an exploded view pic, or something by Chrysler, which clearly prove it ? Thanks guys.

Screws,wish I could get a pic or two but trust me when I say screws:lol:
If you get enough replies that should be enough confirmation to settle it.

Last edited:
The clips on studs is a GM thing. 68-70 were all clips with screws.

Clips with screws. Off of my Newport

DSC07030.JPG

Last edited:
On a 1968 coronet, did the factory attach the rear window molding, with clips held on by screws, or clips held in with studs ? Anyone have an exploded view pic, or something by Chrysler, which clearly prove it ? Thanks guys.
Which one did you pick?

Which one did you pick?
I assumed screws. I removed my front & back windows, and those clips were all held with screws. I even handed him the ones i still had. And said, if this were originally studs, someone would have had to grind them off, and drill all the holes. He still says studs.

If you chose screws. Dont forget the dumdum on the threads Seals against water leakage.

The clips on studs is a GM thing. 68-70 were all clips with screws.
With a side note that Chrysler corp did use clip on stud things in 68. But on a 68 coronet window trim i agree with the screws

If you chose screws. Dont forget the dumdum on the threads Seals against water leakage.
We bought studs for a 1970 Chevelle that actually screwed into holes. The actual clips that snapped into them were similar to the Mopar style clip and worked the same way. They would have been to tall in a Mopar application I think, but I did no measurements.

With a side note that Chrysler corp did use clip on stud things in 68. But on a 68 coronet window trim i agree with the screws
Never seen them on a 68.... But I haven't worked on all the 68's so I'll believe you... I do know Chrysler was using clips by 73.....

My 68 Coronet doesn't use rear window trim screws.... Well it doesn't use rear window trim either so......
:lol:

We bought studs for a 1970 Chevelle that actually screwed into holes. The actual clips that snapped into them were similar to the Mopar style clip and worked the same way. They would have been to tall in a Mopar application I think, but I did no measurements.

seen these?
CEA736A3-7DB1-40B4-8630-18B4A6884A7F.jpeg

Not quite that advanced yet. I do have a similar device for dent pulling. You weld the tip to the dent where you want to pull and there is a slide hammer on the rod. You pull the dent and then break off the weld.

Your stud gun can install clip retainers.... It can also be used to heat shrink metal...

Your stud gun can install clip retainers.... It can also be used to heat shrink metal...
It's been well used in the last 10 years. They are inexpensive now but were a major investment when I got this one.

It's been well used in the last 10 years. They are inexpensive now but were a major investment when I got this one.

It's a great tool & yeah the one I've had access to was bought back in the 90's & it was $$$$...

Auto Transport Service
Back