• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here we go. One last time...

I'll answer my own question.
I wrote to Professor Ehrenberg and he, as always, immediately responded. :)
(That's the famous Mopar expert Richard (Rick) Ehrenberg for those who don't know).

As I had hoped, the answer is quite simple.
I just need the trans crossmember for a 70-72 b-body like this one:
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TC040
Rick says I will have to drill out the (8) holes in it to 9/16" to re-use my existing bolts from my current crossmember.

Which also of course leads me to also needing the "spool" type trans mount for the butt of the tranny like this one:
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TM2512P
I think I'd rather find the stock type rubber one than this poly one, though.

Ehrenberg RULES! Always has, always will.
Ed

Good news.
Got that right. :)
Couldn't you just swap the tailshaft housings?
Funny you should mention that....
I did some quick measurements once I discovered the issue and came up with the same answer.
Now, the old transmission is in pieces under one of my work benches. :)
The quick answer to your question is "yes". The practical answer is "not so much", certainly not with the new trans in the car and bolted up to the engine now.

It seems there's some rather extensive internal surgery required to do this, since the mainshaft has to come out with the tailshaft housing.
Someone with more experience with the A833 probably would find such a procedure routine and simple. That someone isn't me - hence the trans in pieces under my bench. :)

I just did a search and some speed reading. The whole bottom gear drive comes out with the tail shaft and the top shaft has to be removed before that happens. I think a snap ring holds the final drive into the tail shaft housing. That sucks!

You're as bad as me. Nothing simple!

I'll answer my own question.
I wrote to Professor Ehrenberg and he, as always, immediately responded. :)
(That's the famous Mopar expert Richard (Rick) Ehrenberg for those who don't know).

As I had hoped, the answer is quite simple.
I just need the trans crossmember for a 70-72 b-body like this one:
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TC040
Rick says I will have to drill out the (8) holes in it to 9/16" to re-use my existing bolts from my current crossmember.

Which also of course leads me to also needing the "spool" type trans mount for the butt of the tranny like this one:
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TM2512P
I think I'd rather find the stock type rubber one than this poly one, though.

Ehrenberg RULES! Always has, always will.
Ed

Sure beats tearing down the tranny or having to get a different one. Glad it will work.

I promise, I won't get on you for not checking things out more closely 8-) ..........................MO
Ain't that the way it goes. I measured all sorts of things when the new trans got here....except where the mount pad is located on it.
Erroneously assumed (there's that word again) that if everything else checked out, things would be fine.
Oh well, nothing a few hundred more bucks won't cure. :rolleyes:

Ain't that the way it goes. I measured all sorts of things when the new trans got here....except where the mount pad is located on it.
Erroneously assumed (there's that word again) that if everything else checked out, things would be fine.
Oh well, nothing a few hundred more bucks won't cure. :rolleyes:
That's happened to me too. She'll a tranny out, go get another of the same kind (supposedly) and find that the crossmember no longer fits.

Happened to me more than once.

17504993_1187941594658340_1828598313580641071_o.jpg

The rare "Ed" in his native habitat....

UPDATE on the transmission crossmember question:
I just heard back from Dan Brewer at Brewer Performance. He tells me the trans crossmember from a '66-'69 b-body AUTOMATIC car will be a direct fit when installing one of these newer 4-speeds.
This is the one he's talking about:
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TC938
Take note of the tailshaft casting numbers it works with, however.
Yes, mine is one of those. :)

That trans crossmember is identical to the one Rick Ehrenberg led me to earlier with one difference - the (8) mounting holes for the through-bolts into the sub-frame of the car are already the correct size for me to re-use my existing bolts. :)
No need to drill them out larger.

I'll still need the "spool" type trans mount and a bolt&nut to go with it, but this is even better news than before. I'll be ordering all this in the morning, along with the shifter fork boot I also need.

UPDATE on the transmission crossmember question:
I just heard back from Dan Brewer at Brewer Performance. He tells me the trans crossmember from a '66-'69 b-body AUTOMATIC car will be a direct fit when installing one of these newer 4-speeds.
This is the one he's talking about:
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TC938
Take note of the tailshaft casting numbers it works with, however.
Yes, mine is one of those. :)

That trans crossmember is identical to the one Rick Ehrenberg led me to earlier with one difference - the (8) mounting holes for the through-bolts into the sub-frame of the car are already the correct size for me to re-use my existing bolts. :)
No need to drill them out larger.

I'll still need the "spool" type trans mount and a bolt&nut to go with it, but this is even better news than before. I'll be ordering all this in the morning, along with the shifter fork boot I also need.
Glad to hear that simpler solution. . I bet there are scads of those laying around in members goodie piles for a lot less money. but time is burning away..........MO

Ok, I need some help in other areas of this project as well now that the trans mount has been solved.

1. For some reason, this engine has what looks to be a 1/4" hole tapped in the water housing next to the heater hose outlets and it's right where one of the heater outlets was in my other (now gone) engine.
The previous engine owner had this jerry-rigged nonsense screwed into it:
IMG_20170324_153845158.jpg

You are looking at a chunk of heater hose adapter literally glued on top of a 1/4" pipe nipple inside of it!
No, I'm not kidding. Shook my head at that one.
You can see a proper 3/8" threaded outlet in this pic with a plug in it. I reckon that's where the other heater hose fitting should have gone.
Thank God I was able to cleanly remove all of this mess!

Here's a look at this area now:
heater outlets.jpg

I've just stuck a 1/4" plug in the hole for now. You can see the other outlets to be used for the heater hoses when I decide to use them one day, as well as the factory temperature sensor for the idiot light in the dash (I do still use that, too). I think that sending unit is 1/8" NPT or some such.

Now for the question:
What was this 1/4" NPT threaded outlet for originally??
I have a temperature probe for my aftermarket temperature gauge that needs to go back in somewhere - it was in a brass bushing screwed into what I think was a 1/2"NPT threaded hole in the old engine, right where this 1/4" one is now.
I think the temp probe is 3/8" NPT threads?
I wonder if I can simply get a 1/4" to 3/8" "bell" reducer fitting and screw my temp probe for the gauge into it?

2. Does anyone have a set of (or link to) the Hurst 4 speed shifter installation instructions? I need to get this shifter put on the "new" transmission.

TIA :)

Glad to hear that simpler solution. . I bet there are scads of those laying around in members goodie piles for a lot less money. but time is burning away..........MO
Indeed. :)
I wonder if I could ask a favor of anyone reading this who has a 66-69 automatic b-body to take a pic of their crossmember for me, PLEASE?
Heck yes, it would be nice if I could pick up one from a FBBO member.

Indeed. :)
I wonder if I could ask a favor of anyone reading this who has a 66-69 automatic b-body to take a pic of their crossmember for me, PLEASE?
Heck yes, it would be nice if I could pick up one from a FBBO member.
Would it make a difference if a 904 or a 727 tranny?.......................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back