• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Voltage

Joe Mopar

Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
Just got back home from about a 40 mile ride, should of been around 80 miles but I cut it short when I noticed both the dash gauge and also the after market volt gauge pegged ( charge side).

When the car slows down or you come to a stop at idle it goes back down to normal, between 12 & 13.

How would I check to see if the regulator is bad ?

Thanks guys.

I dont know Joe, but I do know that I'm jealous of you driving your car!!!

I dont know Joe, but I do know that I'm jealous of you driving your car!!!

You're getting there and besides you live in Cali., so you'll be enjoying yours while mine has a blanket over it all winter. LOL :icon_fU:

I know, just like pouring the rock salt on an open wound, lol!!

Just got back home from about a 40 mile ride, should of been around 80 miles but I cut it short when I noticed both the dash gauge and also the after market volt gauge pegged ( charge side).

When the car slows down or you come to a stop at idle it goes back down to normal, between 12 & 13.

How would I check to see if the regulator is bad ?

Thanks guys.

joe are tyou running the blue mopar pwerformance voltage regulator?
if so its not meant to be driven for long trips just short racving spurts.
get the voltage regulator at Autozone. it is awesome and its electronic. i swear by them.

get the voltage regulator at Autozone. it is awesome and its electronic. i swear by them.

As far as I know it's just a regular stock regulator.

440Engine001.jpg

I think you can just get a glimpse of it in this photo.

Hook a voltage meter to the battery, bring it up to a fast idle, 2000 rpm. should be max of 13.8 volts. If more than that, unplug the voltage regulator. All you should get is battery voltage, 12 volts +/- at fast idle. if so replace the regulator.

Why only 13.8? if anything is on its gonna throw more. Youre safe till you get above 15 volts. A bad cell in your battery will cause it to charge more also. The regulator in the pic is the old kind,not even electronic.

SUPERSTOCKRACER is the blue mopar voltage regulator you're talking about in this post like the pic I've posted here? I've got an MSD Digital 6A ignition box that's been installed on a '69 Charger Daytona with a 440 since 3/2012. The last two summers I've had a series of mysterious instances of either not restarting (no spark, not even a burp) and/or quitting and not restarting. I've checked things like ignition switch wiring, bulkhead connectors, distributor pick up wires and such for bad connections/grounds but have not found anything suspect. I've also traded out coils and have not been able to duplicate the issue. I'm getting 12.8 volts, give or take, at the battery on idle. Then, I came across your post and, what I also recall as reading that these MSD boxes like voltage, and that low voltage can cause intermittent issues with them (I thought I'd speak with MSD tech support about this also). I also get a lot of vehicle light dimming at idle and I'm thinking this voltage regulator could be my problem. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thinking of making the swap to the electronic voltage regulator that @daredevil mentions in his post. I have this regulator on another '69 Charger with the same MSD box since 2011 and no issues. Thanks much in advance.

IMG_0699.JPG

SUPERSTOCKRACER is the blue mopar voltage regulator you're talking about in this post like the pic I've posted here? I've got an MSD Digital 6A ignition box that's been installed on a '69 Charger Daytona with a 440 since 3/2012. The last two summers I've had a series of mysterious instances of either not restarting (no spark, not even a burp) and/or quitting and not restarting. I've checked things like ignition switch wiring, bulkhead connectors, distributor pick up wires and such for bad connections/grounds but have not found anything suspect. I've also traded out coils and have not been able to duplicate the issue. I'm getting 12.8 volts, give or take, at the battery on idle. Then, I came across your post and, what I also recall as reading that these MSD boxes like voltage, and that low voltage can cause intermittent issues with them (I thought I'd speak with MSD tech support about this also). I also get a lot of vehicle light dimming at idle and I'm thinking this voltage regulator could be my problem. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thinking of making the swap to the electronic voltage regulator that @daredevil mentions in his post. I have this regulator on another '69 Charger with the same MSD box since 2011 and no issues. Thanks much in advance.

View attachment 880825
This an old thread. Superstockracer now is tommyanderson. Yes that is the Voltage regulator he's talking about. I've run one for a long time, they're tough on batteries.

This an old thread. Superstockracer now is tommyanderson. Yes that is the Voltage regulator he's talking about. I've run one for a long time, they're tough on batteries.

Thank you.... I knew it was hit or miss with the age of the thread. I appreciate your reply.

Auto Transport Service
Back