• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hockey Death

ESOXER

Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
First of all prayers for Adam and his family.
So I heard about the death this weekend, first reports was an accident due to a collision and a skate slashed his throat. It seems this case has taken a twist and it's being investigated. His name is Adam Johnson, an American playing in the UK. I saw on the news today it was being investigated by police, so my curiosity jumped in. I didn't want to watch the video, but a lot of claims came in he was deliberately kicked in the throat. So I reluctantly watched one that stopped before the inevitable, it was deliberate looking in my opinion. I, years ago, was our teams leading resident of the sin-bin but I wore the A and I was absolutely mortified by this guy's action. I won't post the video, but it's out there. Once again prayers for all involved.
Girlfriend of dead ex-NHL player shares heartbreaking message as police investigate 'freak accident'

So I heard about the death this weekend, first reports was an accident due to a collision and a skate slashed his throat. It seems this case has taken a twist and it's being investigated. His name is Adam Johnson, an American playing in the UK. I saw on the news today it was being investigated by police, so my curiosity jumped in. I didn't want to watch the video, but a lot of claims came in he was deliberately kicked in the throat. So I reluctantly watched one that stopped before the inevitable, it was deliberate looking in my opinion. I, years ago, was our teams leading resident of the sin-bin but I wore the A and I was absolutely mortified by this guy's action. I won't post the video, but it's out there. Once again prayers for all involved.
Girlfriend of dead ex-NHL player shares heartbreaking message as police investigate 'freak accident'
Sorry - but I'm not sure what you mean by your reference to yourself at the bottom of post. I don't know much about hockey lingo. I too saw that initial story in the sports news but thats all I read and i don't watch any news. Would you mind clarifying? Thx!

Sorry - but I'm not sure what you mean by your reference to yourself at the bottom of post. I don't know much about hockey lingo. I too saw that initial story in the sports news but thats all I read and i don't watch any news. Would you mind clarifying? Thx!
Basically is was a goon, I played defense and if anyone went near my goalie or smaller forward he was delt with, then or later, most of the time I ended up in the penalty box or ejected for various reasons. Wearing the A is for assistant captain.

Rest in Peace Young Skatesman.

I will take your word for the vid, @ESOXER.

I played rat hockey on the frozen ponds outside Chicago (yes, such a thing used to exist). And I cannot fathom the thought of somebody actually doing this on purpose. God help us.

I assume this was an international league?

Some UK Cup league. The guy that kicked him looks like one of the characters from the movie Goon too. Don't remember the year but Marlacuk(probably spelled it wrong)had his throat slit too but they pinched it off and lived, story has it bench doc was an army medic.

1698722573529.png
<< The ASSAILANT

That is a clear assault, and involuntary manslaughter charges should be applied.
Why would you suggest "involuntary"? There is no where in the brutality even in hockey where that move has any application. This has to be thoroughly investigated. Minimally - Voluntary manslaughter going north to 2nd or third degree murder. Looks very intentional to me .... That's the most horrific execution I've ever seen in any sport.

Why would you suggest "involuntary"? There is no where in the brutality even in hockey where that move has any application. This has to be thoroughly investigated. Minimally - Voluntary manslaughter going north to 2nd or third degree murder. Looks very intentional to me .... That's the most horrific execution I've ever seen in any sport.
Please research what the differences are. Without elaborating, I know what I'm talking about. The act was intentional, but the result was not.

Please research what the differences are. Without elaborating, I know what I'm talking about. The act was intentional, but the result was not.
I understand what you're getting at - But no offense brother we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I understand what you're getting at - But no offense brother we're going to have to agree to disagree.
Please research the law. If you commit an act that RESULTS in the death by your actions of criminal negligence, that is involuntary; you did not INTEND for the result of your act to be death/murder. If you INTENTIONALLY kill someone without any prior thought to do so, that is voluntary. Are you saying that by his action he intended the player's death ?

It happened in the UK, so who knows if he'll be charged at all. Not sure how the powder wigs rule over there.

Please research the law. If you commit an act that RESULTS in the death by your actions of criminal negligence, that is involuntary; you did not INTEND for the result of your act to be death/murder. If you INTENTIONALLY kill someone without any prior thought to do so, that is voluntary. Are you saying that by his action he intended the player's death ?
No not yet. What i said was "this has to be thoroughly investigated" to determine exactly what is what. No one knows it all yet - Neither you nor I - or the millions of others with "opinions". I'm still looking at a broader spectrum not a myopic view. When everything that can be known is known it would be then I would render my final thoughts.

Last edited:
I agree he didn’t have the thought that if I swing my leg and skate up into this guys chest area, I’m going to slit his throat and kill him. The meathead was just being a goon! We’ll never truly know what going through his mind. I can say in all my years of playing and watching hockey, I’ve never seen that type of action from any player. I’ve seen dirty play, heck might have been dirty myself from time to time but never to bring a skate into the play. That was off limits.

Depending on the criminal statutes in that state, involuntary manslaughter would definitely fit here. In Maine the culpable states of mind are: intentionally, knowingly or recklessly! As we stated the first 2 are unlikely but recklessly does fit. If they have that part in that state. Time will tell and regardless, prayers to the family It’s an awful situation!

I agree he didn’t have the thought that if I swing my leg and skate up into this guys chest area, I’m going to slit his throat and kill him. The meathead was just being a goon! We’ll never truly know what going through his mind. I can say in all my years of playing and watching hockey, I’ve never seen that type of action from any player. I’ve seen dirty play, heck might have been dirty myself from time to time but never to bring a skate into the play. That was off limits.

Depending on the criminal statutes in that state, involuntary manslaughter would definitely fit here. In Maine the culpable states of mind are: intentionally, knowingly or recklessly! As we stated the first 2 are unlikely but recklessly does fit. If they have that part in that state. Time will tell and regardless, prayers to the family It’s an awful situation!
Absolutely. I just hope the prosecutors aggressively act for a convictable charge.

Auto Transport Service
Back