• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holes in the firewall.

'67Satellite

Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
I've finally committed to fixing this car up the right way, I just couldn't do things correctly on a rolling restoration. So i've pulled the motor and transmission, and cleared out all the wiring.
In doing so i noticed two sizable holes in the lower part of the firewall (see image). I know the upper two are for the heater core, but what about these other ones. Since I bought the car, I don't remember ever seeing anything there. I'm sure there's a bunch of guys on here that know.

Also, since we're on the subject of holes, does anyone have a really good picture of a restored '67 engine bay? Preferably empty? I have a lot of holes that aren't supposed to be there, and i'm going to start filling them in, just need some kind of reference to go off of.

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Attachments

• firewall.jpg
    firewall.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 512
Doesn't look factory to me....did it have an aftermarket AC in the car?

No A/C that i know of, at least not since i owned the car. I cleaned them up after taking the picture and they do seem a little odd. The one on the left side (if looking at them) is partly cut into the fluting. That makes me think that someone took a hole saw to it.

The best I can do for you is a '69 RR but the holes are probably the same.

Attachments

• 69runnerpaint09.jpg
    69runnerpaint09.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 340
I think Cranky nailed it. That's the same area my dealer installed A/C lines run thru to the under dash 'box style' A/C unit. Only difference is mine has one, large hole.

if you are talking about the 2 holes by the tranny tunnel.... its very odd that youre posting this because....

thats EXACTLY where i drilled a hole for the after market OIL AND TEMP GAUGES.

the temp gauge required a 7/8 hole to get the sending unit through...and the smaller hole was for the oil gauge tubing.

perhaps someone had the same idea i had ,,,,but years earlier....or perhaps not....just odd thats where i drilled into my 70 Runner for my aftermarket gauges!

Are there any holes along the lower part of the metal dash that are not being used?...they would likely be above the gas pedal and above the passenger footwell area. If so, I would guess they were used to bolt an under-dash A/C unit to. If not, maybe tpodwdog is right. They appear to be rather large holes to route gauge attachments through though. :dontknow:

There is numerous holes not being used under the dash (on the whole damn car really). Over the years i think people just mounted stuff here and there with self tappers, and now that it's being put back to stock, all of these holes are empty.

The aftermarket/dealer installed A/C is looking more and more lilely. Since i don't plan on doing that this time around, i suppose i'll cook up some patches and remedy this issue once and for all. THANKS GUYS!

And if anyone can get me a picture of their '67 inner fenders, that would be awesome. This things like SWISS CHEESE!!!

Hi there, on the mystery holes near the bottom. From your pic, the left one looks hand made to me, and if I'm right, that could be for anything, just close it up and call it a day. But the right hole looks like it might be factory, I can also see what appears to be a ridge of paint like there was a grommet. Of course any one with a hole punch could make a factory hole, that is also where the factory put the tach overlay harness through. It was a green wire run from the coil neg along the right valve cover down the back side of the head throuth that area of the firewall, UNDER, yes under the rug and into the console. Did you car a a factory tach? It would come only with a console. When I have more time, I'll try to post some pics.

I checked my GTX and the tach wire goes through a little more to the outboard side. I added a pic to show the detail. Interestingly, note the little bump on the other firewalls showing the location for the factory to make the hole. I also included a complete engine bay shot itf it helps any. Sorry to mislead you in the previous post. I'm new here and should be extra careful. Hope it helps.

OK, my computer prowess is showing profoundly. I can't upload any pics from my 12 year old camera to my new computer. I'll get them on tonight, sorry.

Hello, I believe this subject has been kicked around a few times. I have a car that has exactly what is described as two odd holes in the firewall on a 69 B body. Now that I have read information on this subject, I highly speculate that these 2 holes that have plugs (looks to be approx 2in. diameter) are for an aftermarket air conditioning system. Each hole has been plugged with identical (looks to be engine freeze plugs) with one facing "rubber out" and the other with the rubber into the cabin. Now the one that is outboard has two small screw holes like it held whatever went through the hole. The holes enter the cabin under the heater box on the passenger side. Any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve IMG_6065.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is the pic of the outboard hole.IMG_6087.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is pic of the inboard hole with plug.IMG_6089.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back