• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley Carb Spraying Fuel Externally ?

matthon

Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
600 vaccum secondary is spraying fuel in a tiny solid stream, straight out, see the red arrow.

I have never seen this before.
I'll pull it apart tomorrow, but any insight is appreciated.

20230527_211240.jpg

yes, a terrible design. It happened to me. Very odd, small stream that goes pretty far.

There is an oring under that cap. The problem is the metal of the bowl is peened over to retain the cap. I have seen that circle filled with epoxy to seal it up. I got another float bowl.

As R413 states, there's a seal under there. You can try tapping with a tiny hammer to tighten the seal, or you can heat it up (which will destroy the seal) and solder the metal cap to the fuel bowl casting. But replacement fuel bowls are cheap.

I take it there is no way to replace the o ring from the inside.
Thanks Holley.
Maybe I'll try a small hammer, then solder.

A long time ago, I used an epoxy sealant to fix that, and it worked like a champ !

As R413 states, there's a seal under there. You can try tapping with a tiny hammer to tighten the seal, or you can heat it up (which will destroy the seal) and solder the metal cap to the fuel bowl casting. But replacement fuel bowls are cheap.
That fuel bowl looks like cast zinc and cannot be soldered.
Mike

i wonder how many cars have burned down resulting from that hokey set-up?

You need a new float bowl. welcome to Hot-rodding and old cars. Build a bridge and get over it. open your hood and check you stuff over often and you will find stuff like this before its a catastrophe. They dont build things to last forever. seems they dont build it to last for days even.... just get a new or good used float bowl and move on.

Even some rebuilders apply epoxy over those caps as a precaution. I would buy a replacement bowl.

I read a review on Summit, and apparently this is called a welsh plug, and on the "new side hung 4160 carbs on the Holley website now show that they have abandoned the welsh plug and are now using screwed in plugs."

This review was from 2 years ago.

So I went to Holley's website and sure enough there it is, carb with the screw in plug on the secondary side.

And 2 years later they still do not sell the screw in style bowl separately.

Isn't the plug brass, and can that be soldered to zinc?

Ordering a new bowl, probably get 2, once I get, just for the heck of it, I'll probably see if I can knock out the plug on the leaker and see if it can be tapped and plugged.

Been fixing those for years with "wicking" Loctite 290. Doesn't look as ugly as epoxy. As to replacing the bowl, not always possible with current supply chain issues. I just had two leak on a Holley 4160 marine carburetor. Can't get on of the bowls from Holley, but they will gladly sell you a new marine carburetor for 1 large.

https://www.hisco.com/Product/23373...MIh_TZy7ua_wIVKwKzAB2jAguhEAAYAyAAEgIqSPD_BwE

I had a 650 spread bore Holley on my 78 Chevy P/U spraying gas directly on the distributor probably 30 years ago. It scared the crap out of me, but I was 60 miles from home. I called around and found a used bowl at a speed shop. I drove to the shop, thinking "what could go wrong". Changed it out in their parking lot.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back