• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood spring good or not? How to adjust?

velrob

Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
71 charger

I'm having trouble where the hood spring it's tilting the hood because of the tension.

When I remove it the hood sits perfect.

Is there a way to reduce the tension on the spring? Maybe the spring I have is to long?

IMG20231205152123.jpg

IMG20231205152142.jpg

IMG20231205152147.jpg

That spring is supposed to pop the hood up a bit, so you can reach under the lip of the hood and release safety catch. That is how it is supposed to sit.

i will leave it out while i do the body work. i just dont want it destroying the paint when i test it out. thats why im testing it out now. the hood is shut (latched on) and it sits on an angle with the spring installed. but once it sits properly with the spring, i will remove the latch and spring to finish the body work.

im just testing everything out to ensure its sits good once i do install everything.

Proper adjustment of the rubber bump stops will level the hood.

I tried that. The left side still stays up and then the right side ends up a bit too trying to adjust both sides. Just curious if I need to cut the spring? Its a new spring and has alot of tension.

Get an original spring and toss that “new” one.

does the latch need to be adjusted down? How could it raise the front if the latch os adjusted correctly?

Last edited:
Sounds like a problem with the hood hinge adjustments

i will leave it out while i do the body work. i just dont want it destroying the paint when i test it out. thats why im testing it out now. the hood is shut (latched on) and it sits on an angle with the spring installed. but once it sits properly with the spring, i will remove the latch and spring to finish the body work.

im just testing everything out to ensure its sits good once i do install everything.

don't worry how it sits on the spring, unless the spring is just wrong and keeps the latch from closing....... get rid of the latch and the spring, rest it on the stops, the stops should be very close to equal or you have another issue

Sounds like a problem with the hood hinge adjustments
Nope. New springs are junk - too much tension!

As for ruining the paint ... go to a wrecker and fine an old Ford minivan (what the hell were they called ??) and take the plastic cap off the hood spring - it'll fit yours perfectly !!

Nope. New springs are junk - too much tension!

As for ruining the paint ... go to a wrecker and fine an old Ford minivan (what the hell were they called ??) and take the plastic cap off the hood spring - it'll fit yours perfectly !!
But if it's on the center of the hood, and the hoods going crooked...

The spring doesn't sit center it sits to the left. If it was in the center that would help alot.

What do you mean why the spring isn't cone shaped.

Mine looks similar to the attached picture. My only next guess is maybe my hood hinge springs are worn out?

Screenshot_2023-12-05-18-05-04-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited:
Mine looks similar to the attached picture. My only next guess is maybe my hood hinge springs are worn out?
The one of the table doesn't look like the one above.

Your hinge springs are not worn out. In another 50 years they STILL won't be worn out !!

Evenness on the hinge mounting and your hood latch center the hood. The rubber bumpers keep the paint from chipping and the gaps fairly even. The hood pop spring is just that....

The hood spring should be kind of cone shaped. I would try to find an original spring, QC on most offshore parts is crap…

I agree with R413 , adjust the latch down so it holds the hood tight on the rubber stops or your hood is going to flap around while driving until it works the latch loose and folds over your windshield

The hood latch is all the way down. The spring is coned similar to the picture. It's just a bad picture but it's coned

Auto Transport Service
Back