• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoosier or Mickey Thompson

G-man

Local time
9:33 PM
Reaction score
Hi

I have decided to go with 15" wide tyres after I have seen how massive 18" looks.

I know Hoosier and Mickey Thompson do street radial tyres.

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R:

These run a

15" section width
13" tread width
29" Diameter
8/32 Tread Depth

Hoosier

These run a

15.2" section width (0.2 wider than MT)
12.1" tread width (0.9 narrower than MT)
29" Diameter
8/32 Tread Depth

Would the Hoosier not grip as much as the MT since its got 0.9 of an inch less rubber sitting on the concrete than the MT?

How does the extra 0.2 of an " in section width help the hoosier when that part does not sit on the concrete?

To me the Hoosier looks better (by the tread pattern) while the MT looks something better for sport cars with low profile tires.

Just wondered what you guys thought/have experienced.

BTW

I know many of you will wonder "if he is after traction, he should be looking at ET streets"

I got a street car, I cant afford tyre changes so for a propper road radial I am after the 1 that will give it that "slightly bit more".

If the difference is absolutelly 0 then I will go for the better looking ones.

Thanks

I run the Hoosier QTP dot street legal tires. Mine are 29 x 11.5 on 15" wheels. I run about 30 psi driving on the street and drop them to 15 at the track. They have 2 treads on the tire and hook like a slick. I drive on them all the time and drive to the track and race on them. I like them as they handle fine also driving on the street. Ron

63glenburnie.jpg

My experience and preference leans towards the Hoosiers. I have run the Mickeys and tend to think they are a bit harder and don't hook as nice. (Hey, it's just my opinion and gauged only by the seat of the pants. Save the hate replies.) The Drag T/A's are a nice tire also, but I think they are more of a street tire than a drag tire. Heated well, they do tend to hook pretty good.

Rev.

I agree with the good Reverend. The Hoosiers will (probably) be a softer, stickier tire than the M/Ts. Under normal circumstances that means they will also wear faster.

We are talking about Hoosiers Pro Street full steel belted RADIAL. Not Slick of ANY kinD

?

I have a 9 second 65 plymouth & had hoosiers on the car & was a big fan of hoosier 60ft time was 138. And then i found M/T never will go back to hoosier 60ft time dropped to 134.8 And they were both same size

G-man, do you have pics how the 15" wide really looks under the car?

Auto Transport Service
Back