• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot Condition Resolved

ksurfer2

Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
So, after installing my newly built 493 stroker, I was concerned at how hot it was running. Even in the cooler weather we've been seeing down here lately, coolant temps quickly soared north of 220 (180 stat...7 blade fan, not a clutch fan). I was only taking short shake down runs so I never ran it that hot for more than a couple minutes. The previous set up was a stock stroke/displacement 440 with a 26 inch radiator and no shroud. I behaved nicely on the street running at about 210. I had been running the straight 50/50 prestone pre-mix. After much searching, I found a shroud that fit the radiator, but had to do some trimming to it in order to clear power steering hoses. I also drained out about a gallon of the 50/50 mix and topped of with distilled water. After a long drive in stop and go traffic, temps stayed between 180 and 195. What a HUGE difference the shroud made!

Always a good feeling when you finally get an issue resolved! Nice job.

You have to feel good know ing this is behind you. I would still install a clutch fan and also make sure therubber wind seals around shroud are installed.

The factory-way is always the best place to start. Glad it worked out.

New engines tend to run a little hot anyway...proper fitting shrouds always help!

Auto Transport Service
Back