• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot natured 440?

Back from a whiskey run, 45 minutes. Idling back at the shop, gauge showing on the high side. Put the temp gun on block itself, 180 degrees. Engine outlet, 182, inlet, 158, and sending unit, 180. No boiling. :)

Back from a whiskey run, 45 minutes. Idling back at the shop, gauge showing on the high side. Put the temp gun on block itself, 180 degrees. Engine outlet, 182, inlet, 158, and sending unit, 180. No boiling. :)
Another run for the beer chaser!! Sounds good.

:thumbsup:

Dumb question...any way to check the accuracy of a temp sending unit?

If your talking about the OEM sender, they work on resistance, which is really affecting current flow through the gauge. High resistance or ohms=cold and low=hot. You can try to find out the range by varying the temperature of a pot of water checking with a thermometer and measuring the changes in ohms across the range for example. I don't know what the gauge range would be though, but if you had a device to vary the resistance between ground or neg and the gauge S terminal with 5+vdc applied to the A terminal, you could essentially see where the needle points at different resistance levels and look how that matches up with the sender. This is basically how I tested my fuel and temperature gauge in the 64. You could do it with several resistors once you know the range of the sender.

Yeah, complicated mess, for a simple device. But, your absolutely right, how to go about it. Just curious, since I bought a 'new' one...where it was made, beats the hell out of me.
Pretty sure I still have one of the old original senders, so I'll compare. And, have a copy of the old gauge tech papers, that might help. Know my gauge is good, not the sending unit, giving the right read. Lol, more food for thought.

I have 67 coronet r/t it has the factory 26 inch radiator, glen ray just made me a new one last year, it seems odd that you would have 22 inch radiator with ac. I believe the 26 inch were part if there heavy duty cooling.

Auto Transport Service
Back