• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I raise the rear of the car 2 or 3 inches 64 Savoy

I called Espo Springs and they cannot help me unless I can tell them what the factory ride height is
I've called Espo and ordered/received springs for 2 cars, one a 62 Dart.
Both times she asked me if I wanted ride height, 1 inch more, 2 inches more, etc.
Never asked me what my ride height was.
I plan on calling and getting springs for my 64 soon, wonder what they'll ask me.

On second thought, she probably just said 'stock' or 1 inch above, etc.
This is 1 inch above with the double hole front hangers on the upper/lower hole.

20230818_164709.jpg

Two ways that a spring will raise the car. This being based on not moving the height of the mounts. Either stiffer with more lb/in rate. Then the weight of the car doesn't compress the spring as far. Or in the case of a leaf spring adding more camber (arc). With more camber the ale will be further from the body.
Doug

do you people actually build cars. just re-arc your springs yourself. it's not hard to do. take them apart and use a vice or two boards several inches apart and hit the spring with a big freaking hammer!! i made a tool that uses a bottle jack. easy peezy

do you people actually build cars. just re-arc your springs yourself. it's not hard to do. take them apart and use a vice or two boards several inches apart and hit the spring with a big freaking hammer!! i made a tool that uses a bottle jack. easy peezy
do you just re arc the main spring or all in the pack ? ( i would guess one at a time ) i have a big hyd press probably do the job ….

do you just re arc the main spring or all in the pack ? ( i would guess one at a time ) i have a big hyd press probably do the job ….

You re-arch with impact not by pressing.
The problem with 60+ year old springs, is the fatigue, and brittleness, if they've been in unforgiving climates. Most of my project's had broken, or deep rust damage, so replacement has been the path. There is a point where it's not worth the effort to save them...

I just found a old spring with a little more ark and cut off the main leaf and added to my spring pack. That was fourty years ago. If you are determined it will happen.

64 PLY RR.JPG

I just found a old spring with a little more ark and cut off the main leaf and added to my spring pack. That was fourty years ago. If you are determined it will happen.

View attachment 1605307
That looks good and sets nice. My Swinger has an extra leaf added as well and it works pretty good. I would say it's an inch over stock.

002.JPG

It can be done a lot cheaper and easier than what’s being said. I lifted my X by 2” by buying “add a leaf” from Summit. 2 half leafs - IIRC cost was about $39 per or both - can’t remember. But they lifted the car up exactly as I wanted for peanuts. Just add to your stack. That s their purpose - Altho I believe they’re were generally made for trucks - what’s the diff? Worked perfectly.
I removed the PRO COMP 13120 add a leaf from my 64 Polara. It lowered the ride height 2 inches. Available at Summit. Cheap also.

I think that's the guy I saw driving a 4600 lb 67 big block el camino at the drags. It was 4000 lbs and three inches taller when he got out.
(Edit: this sounds like a joke , but is absolutely true. That's probably not really the guy.... but the guy I saw was just as big)

Last edited:
my dart , i put bone yard springs together to lift it a bit , my 63 sfgc has home made ss spring package , and i did lowering blocks to get the right ride height .

DSC03650.JPG

Fury.png

My ride is a little low in the rear so already tried QA1 shocks, didn't work and tried longer shackles, didn,t work. Any suggestions?
A rough guess, for every 1" longer rear shackle, the car's rear should rise 7/16". It's math, there is no magic here.
"didn't work" means not long enough shackle?
As long as you keep the KYB shocks installed, handling is not up for discussion IMO.

Auto Transport Service
Back