• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How dumb are we getting? Really?

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
So, I work at a dealer, in the service department. Physically, you drive in, follow the signs, pull up to the Service department, and we've got glass doors and a glass wall where you can clearly see the advisors (3 of us) and our receptionist, from your car.

We have people who schedule their service online, on our website. That makes sense, I can see that. Sure. After dinner..."oh, ****, have you gotten the oil changed yet?" and it's after-hours. Schedule online, drop off...easy-peasy.

Chrysler has recently added a "mobile check-in" button for people to click. What purpose that serves...we still haven't figured out. The vehicle isn't here; WE haven't checked it in...but the customer can click that button I guess so they feel good. An "oil change participation trophy", I suppose.

We just had - I **** you not - a Wrangler pull up outside, about 45 minutes ago. And the guy got out, wearing his Beats headphones...and we didn't see him again. Jeep just...sitting there. 45 minutes later, he comes storming into our lobby wondering "why the hell hasn't anyone done my oil change yet? I did the mobile check in...why isn't my service done???"

Mind you, he never came inside so we had no idea who he was or why a white Wrangler was sitting out there. We didn't have any keys. The system doesn't alert us when someone clicks the participation-trophy button. We're all...simply helping customers and calling warranty companies and closing tickets, like we do all day.

Perfectly visible through our glass-walled office.

Also, mind you, we have an express lane for oil changes - also all over our website (and our phone tree), same website as that infamous "mobile check-in" button - where you a) don't need an appointment, and b) simply follow the signs to get your oil changed and tires rotated while you wait. It's our own little Jiffy Lube, with signs all over the parking lot and everything.

I guess I'm expecting too much to think someone - after sitting outside unattended for...oh...two and a half minutes or so - would come inside and ask for help.

Technology has made some people LESS smart because they delegate their thinking to a machine.

So, I work at a dealer, in the service department. Physically, you drive in, follow the signs, pull up to the Service department, and we've got glass doors and a glass wall where you can clearly see the advisors (3 of us) and our receptionist, from your car.

We have people who schedule their service online, on our website. That makes sense, I can see that. Sure. After dinner..."oh, ****, have you gotten the oil changed yet?" and it's after-hours. Schedule online, drop off...easy-peasy.

Chrysler has recently added a "mobile check-in" button for people to click. What purpose that serves...we still haven't figured out. The vehicle isn't here; WE haven't checked it in...but the customer can click that button I guess so they feel good. An "oil change participation trophy", I suppose.

We just had - I **** you not - a Wrangler pull up outside, about 45 minutes ago. And the guy got out, wearing his Beats headphones...and we didn't see him again. Jeep just...sitting there. 45 minutes later, he comes storming into our lobby wondering "why the hell hasn't anyone done my oil change yet? I did the mobile check in...why isn't my service done???"

Mind you, he never came inside so we had no idea who he was or why a white Wrangler was sitting out there. We didn't have any keys. The system doesn't alert us when someone clicks the participation-trophy button. We're all...simply helping customers and calling warranty companies and closing tickets, like we do all day.

Also, mind you, we have an express lane for oil changes - also all over our website (and our phone tree), same website as that infamous "mobile check-in" button - where you a) don't need an appointment, and b) simply follow the signs to get your oil changed and tires rotated while you wait. It's our own little Jiffy Lube, with signs all over the parking lot and everything.

I guess I'm expecting too much to think someone - after sitting outside unattended for...oh...two and a half minutes or so - would come inside and ask for help.

I was a advisor for 13 years. I have seen it all. Pull in front of the service door, directly in front of the "sound horn to enter "sign, lock their vehicle up and disappear. :BangHead::BangHead: You really can't fix stupid.

Pretty dumb apparently. This happened here in Little Rock about 20 year ago but it relates to your post. Some guy found the keys in a brand new Tahoe at the local Chevrolet dealer and took off with it. The car wasn't recovered. A few weeks later he drove into the Chevrolet service lane at the same dealer and said the air conditioning had stopped working and needed to be fixed - it was under warranty. Of course as soon as they scanned the VIN it came up as their stolen Tahoe. They told the guy they would get on it immediately and just have a seat in the waiting area and get a cup of coffee - shouldn't take long. And it didn't - just long enough for the police to arrive. True story - read it in our Arkansas Democrat/Gazette.

The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Go back to the original way of doing things. Call, make an appointment. Show up, drop your keys in the drop box or walk inside, hand your keys to the service writer, have a seat or get a ride and come back later after you get a call that it's ready.

How many more stupid people topics are really needed? Haven't you figured it out yet that people are idiots? This makes the 3rd one!!

Why are you getting so upset about one guy who can't figure it out? Hell if you've been in the auto business anytime at all you should know you have to deal with crazy customers all the time. You either get used to it or change professions.

Last edited:
Not upset...just...amazed. People do this stuff all the time.

Signs everywhere - "EXPRESS LANE ----->" , yet, eighty times a day, "yeah, I'm here for an oil change".

Coworker took a call Saturday, related to the mobile check-in thing. "So, if I do the mobile check in, does my car need to be there to get an oil change?"

Swear.
To.
God.

If I wasn't here to hear it when it happened, I wouldn't believe it.

For me, it's more a social experiment - a graphic representation of how dumb we are making our species, and our society. Makes me really glad I don't have kids - I grind my teeth when I think about these schmucks running the show once I get too old to take care of myself; I couldn't imagine passing this on, and having kids who'd have to survive in it...

Not upset...just...amazed. People do this stuff all the time.

Signs everywhere - "EXPRESS LANE ----->" , yet, eighty times a day, "yeah, I'm here for an oil change".

Coworker took a call Saturday, related to the mobile check-in thing. "So, if I do the mobile check in, does my car need to be there to get an oil change?"

Swear.
To.
God.

For me, it's more a social experiment - a graphic representation of how dumb we are making our species, and our society. Makes me really glad I don't have kids - I grind my teeth when I think about these schmucks running the show once I get too old to take care of myself; I couldn't imagine passing this on, and having kids who'd have to survive in it...
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

People (our youth) are not getting a basic education
the use of common sense, to think for themselves
& mortality skills, for that matter either

too much indoctrination BS
in every tenured teacher preaching today

Truly sad how our country has been dumbed down
bit by bit

REMEMBER THE MOVIE IDIOCRACY

So what the mobile check in button for?

Swear.
To.
God.

Used to sell (house) paint. You think homeowners are bad? Job foremen are worse. Had a job running where they were doing a cosmetic rehab of an apt complex, inside and outside surfaces were all getting a fresh coat of paint. Between the two, there were probably a dozen different colors. "I NEED PAINT NOW!!!" He'd blurt out when he'd come in. "Which one do you need sir?" "THE ONE WITH COLOR!! WHY ARE YOU MAKING THIS SO HARD??"

Yeah, I had to walk away from him a few times.

How many more stupid people topics are really needed? Haven't you figured it out yet that people are idiots? This makes the 3rd one!!
Everybody has the right to be an idiot AND has the right to bitch too.....but everyone also has the right to ignore it :D

It is perfectly normal to get pissed off at stupid behavior. The current trend of excusing idiots and criminals is NOT helping people get smarter. To allow bad behavior is the same as approving of it.
We must strive for a higher standard instead of just letting people get away with being lazy or stupid.
Yes, we all make mistakes. Those that make them over and over, inconveniencing or annoying others, need to be advised of the right way.
What business or organization thrives when their people skip work or show up late frequently?
Nothing ruins a GOOD employee's morale more than when you tolerate a BAD employee.

a%2Bbit%2Boff.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing ruins a GOOD employee's morale more than when you tolerate a BAD employee

Nothing ruins a GOOD employee's morale more than when you tolerate bad LEADERSHIP (management).

Kinda going thru this with my current job. :(

Auto Transport Service
Back