• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How not to install a transmission...

GTX.JCW

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
Gather round the campfire boys & girls and I’ll tell you a tale of bused knuckles and sore backs.

The players for this little mellow drama are:

Mr Shifty Automatic, our resident MOPAR guy with tools and a lift and all automatic transmissions in his garage, Mr Blueoval Bowtie, a friend of Shifty’s who has mechanical skills related to a manual transmissions, but no MOPARs. Shifty shanghaied Blueoval because of those aforementioned skills. And the 3rd ,member of the cast, me, Mr Rookie Mechanic.

Our story opens as Rookie and Mrs Rookie arrive at Shiftys at 9:15 AM to change the transmission in Rookies GTX. They are going to swap the regular 4-speed for an overdrive 4-speed. In previous conversations, Shifty says that it won’t take more that 2 or 3 hours to do the swap, so Mrs Rookie has come along to socialize with Mrs Shifty.

Shifty has all the tools laid out, the work area is spotless and all is ready to start work. The GTX is put up on the lift and allowed to cool down as it was a 40 min drive to get to Shifty’s house. Once cooled down, the job begins. All the pieces come out with no problems. And in short order everything is ready to start re-assembly. Shifty says “ Have a look at your flywheel, Rookie” Oh fudge! There are little cracks all around it.

OK. Out comes the flywheel and we take it to a friend of Shiftys at a local garage. He will send it out to get it resurfaced and gets it back to us in a couple of hours. By now it is 2:30PM

Now we begin the re-assembly. All the new pieces, pilot bearing, pressure plate, disc and throwout bearing go in without any fuss. Now the new gearbox: 150lbs of cast iron, but we had a transmission lift so it wasn’t too bad.

We slide it into the bell housing and it stops..?? Huh? Looking into the housing, we can’t see anything to cause the hangup, so we pull it back out and look in to the clutch disc area and still no clue. Blueoval has been here for a while and he’s at a loss as to why. Lots of sliding the trans in and out up and down, side to side and now it’s getting dark! It’s been 11 flippin’ hours, so we toss in the towel and Mrs Rookie & I head home in one of Shifty’s cars.

Day 2:
I arrived at 8:30 and after tossing and turning all night, had compiled a list of what to check.

First we pulled the trans out so we could check the pilot bearing to verify that we put the correct size in. We pulled the pressure plate & disc back out and tried to measure the bearing. No go. The caliper ends are too short to reach in to get a proper measurement.

Ok.. Move on to the next possibility, the disc. I picked up the disc and TRIED to fit it over the input shaft and damned if it wasn’t too small!! By golly, it was a 23 spline disc instead of an 18!!! Well, a few choice words were uttered, and then a phone call to the vendor that provided the trans. It seems that it wasn’t his fault, as the company that supplies his clutches is in California, his shop is on the East Coast, so to expedite shipping, the clutch company shipped it direct to me. Transmission man arranged to have the correct disc shipped to me the next day so we could continue the installation.

Day 3

A soft knock and a whispered “UPS” at 5:30AM produced the correct clutch disc and Rookie was off to Shifty’s to get it finished!

The assembly process went smoothly until we put in the clutch fork. It just was being fussy. Ultimately, it went in and we moved ahead. Finally, we get to the final adjustments and the clutch is engaging right off the floor and not the greatest feel. Blueoval and Shifty were on the ground and Rookie was up in the GTX. It seems the more we adjusted it, the worse it got. Finally, Rookie said, enough! He called a towtruck, and trucked the GTX down to Mr Pro Fix-it.

Pro puts the GTX on the lift and begins to root around. 10 min later, he says “ Got it!”

The problem: The little spring steel clip on the rear of the clutch fork was broken. Pro said it was most likely has been broken for a long time and by removing the clutch fork, we disturbed the delicate balance.

OK.. The new fork was ordered and now we wait….

The weekend passes and Monday afternoon Pro calls and says, “the fork is in and there is still a problem”. It seems that the company that built the pressure plate set the fingers (Borg & Beck type) too low in the housing so when you push the clutch in the fingers drag against the disc!! OK, this is beyond funny now.

We sent the package (disc, pressure plate and flywheel) to a local company that specializes in clutches and $100 later we’re back in business. They were able to reset the pressure plate fingers to the correct height. Also found the disc was not true and was wobbly when it spun. They fixed that as well. That and some new parts in the z-bar and it shifts smooth as silk.

While it was in Pro’s shop I had him put disc brakes on all 4 corners. Got tired of the excitement of trying to stop the GTX with drums.

We used the Hydro Boost system to pressurize the brakes. It uses pressure off the power steering pump. No vacuum unit required.

It was a bit touchy at first but I got used to the pedal, but what I will say is WOW.. This car stops.. No fuss no muss, just whoa!. Just like a modern disc brake setup.

Now, the moral of the long story is: Always, always, always check your parts for fit before you plan to do the job!

as soon as you said no go on trans install i knew it was a spline problem.nicely detailed and love the names.i always double check all fitments before installation attempts.love the story.

Yeah, no more major stuff for me.. I can still handle the little stuff and things more in my area of expertise. Electrics, computers, big hammers!!

Jeff

Had a similar problem back in the 80's (makes me sound old)..put a clutch in a 78 Celica for a friend ...with all the console and things to remove ....no problems ...went together easy....got in, started car and it would not move and made no funny sounds....yes wrong disc...transmission shaft was too small for disc....Yes it was a do over on my nickel

Trans job on the floor.
Wrong parts.
mislabled parts.
Helping new parts/upgrades fit.

It all seems it's all part of our hobby and everybody that does this has had to deal with it!:head_smack:

Attachments

• 5.19.12 013.jpg
    5.19.12 013.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 480
  • 3.26.12 (18).jpg
    3.26.12 (18).jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 477
  • 3.24.12 (18).JPG
    3.24.12 (18).JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 457
Not to hammer on your thread but would love to see a 18 spline overdrive trans.

The Number One problem why it didn't go like it should have was because you own a MOPAR. Nothing fits our cars, but that is what sets us apart from the spray bombed chebbie and ferd guys.

you gots some riten skillz there JC. would like to hear some moar!

Loved that and reminds me of a few things

You are correct sir!

This is a Passon built box. It is a standard A833 iron case with slightly different gears.

First is a 2.66 versus a 2.65 for a stock 4 speed, second is a 1.59 against a 1.93 stock, third is 1.0 versus a 1.39 and fourth is .80 instead of 1.0.

With my 25" tires,it cruises 70MPH at 2500 rpm instead of the 3000 with the stock 4 speed.

We are starting to do some longer cruises with our MOPAR Club, so this will help. Not only with the noise level but a slight decrease in fuel USE. I started to say economy but that silly in reference to these cars!!!

Jeff

You'll never see one from the factory.

Glad it worked out for you in the end. Entertaining story - thanks!

Got tired of the excitement of trying to stop the GTX with drums.

aww...but that takes all the excitement out of it!! lol

DSC02950.JPG

great story and great moral, Jeff. thanks for the good read...

ill be awaiting your next adventure with your beautiful blue GTX. :icon_wink:

Mario

DSC01712.jpg

"Reserved Parking for Daily MEAT" LOL that's a cool sign MarPar. what is that mounted in your wall, a window A/C unit?

"Reserved Parking for Daily MEAT" LOL that's a cool sign MarPar. what is that mounted in your wall, a window A/C unit?

lol thanks Tallhair. ya that sign is from my company. it used to be at the old building in da parking lot before we moved two years ago.

the thing in the wall is a giant exhaust fan. it is affectionately known as the "purge." two minutes with that thing on, and any fumes or smoke are evacuated post-haste.

the thing in the wall is a giant exhaust fan. it is affectionately known as the "purge." two minutes with that thing on, and any fumes or smoke are evacuated post-haste.

Well you're supposed to pull it out into the driveway before you smoke the tires :)

Yeah, not bad for a joker that failed English at one point in his educational endeavors. And living with a journalist for the last 44 yrs has corrected many of my grammar faults, but not all!

She did proofread it, but only found a couple of punctuation mistakes and one spelling error..

More to come as our adventure in classic cars continues.......

Jeff

you gots some riten skillz there JC. would like to hear some moar!

Loved that and reminds me of a few things

Sounds like a nice unit. I have three myself. Two aluminum case truck overdrive units and one cast iron A body overdrive unit. The cast iron overdrives are fairly uncommon since they were one year only (1976) production. If I might ask, why did you choose such a high overdrive ratio? The stock is .73 for cars and .71 for trucks. The stock ratios would serve you better in OD I would suspect.

You are correct sir!

This is a Passon built box. It is a standard A833 iron case with slightly different gears.

First is a 2.66 versus a 2.65 for a stock 4 speed, second is a 1.59 against a 1.93 stock, third is 1.0 versus a 1.39 and fourth is .80 instead of 1.0.

With my 25" tires,it cruises 70MPH at 2500 rpm instead of the 3000 with the stock 4 speed.

We are starting to do some longer cruises with our MOPAR Club, so this will help. Not only with the noise level but a slight decrease in fuel USE. I started to say economy but that silly in reference to these cars!!!

Jeff

This was

Not a stock unit. Passon only offers 1 fixed set of ratios. I would have preferred a .73 but it is what it is. I feel that the .80 matches the torque curve of the 440 very well and it will pull hills easily, where a .73 or .71 might require a downshift.. Don't really know.

I really wanted their 5-speed unit. It is supposed to be a direct bolt in unit in an aluminum 833 case. There have been lots of production issues for them and the owner has been very open about the issues. When I talked to him about it and explained that I had a deadline to meet, he said that he could not guarantee delivery by that time, so I opted for the 4 speed unit. I am looking at this car as a cruiser so I wasn't too concerned about having a close ratio box.

Jeff

Sounds like a nice unit. I have three myself. Two aluminum case truck overdrive units and one cast iron A body overdrive unit. The cast iron overdrives are fairly uncommon since they were one year only (1976) production. If I might ask, why did you choose such a high overdrive ratio? The stock is .73 for cars and .71 for trucks. The stock ratios would serve you better in OD I would suspect.

Auto Transport Service
Back