• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How rare is this 1968 GTX

Cornpatch MO

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
Went to a small town cruise in this afternoon. 39 degree outdoor temp. when we left about 11:00 AM. Usually a big turn out since it is one of the last events for the year. Met a guy, his wife and son--good folks and not self absorbed in their car. 1968 GTX with a 426 hemi he bought new off a local lot that year. 4 speed , all stone stock including the dog dish hubcaps and red line polyglass tires. ( not OEM) Light green with white interior. He had just returned from Vietnam , but still had a little time to go before he got out of the service. He had ALL the paperwork including the cancelled check that his wife wrote out to pay for it. Had all the dealer advertising literature. Even had all the car loan papers.. Car was immaculate because it only had a little over 22,000 actual miles on it !! He said he almost lost it once, because they were having trouble making the payments on the car loan..His wife made some of the payments for him.
With all that documentation, the story, and being a 1968 Hemi GTX what would that car be worth at today's prices? Wouldn't consider selling it and title is in their son's name in case something would happen to him and his wife...........................MO

No clue on value, to me the value is the years of enjoyment... Hopefully the son feels the same or it'll be sold in no time...

Wow quite a story and car. I’m sure it’s rare in today’s world with those stats. I’m curious what folks will value it at. Would like to see pics of it too. I’m sure at least a buck and a half.....

Id like to see it too.. Wondering how much it would bring being a very well documented car.

No clue on value, to me the value is the years of enjoyment... Hopefully the son feels the same or it'll be sold in no time...
The son was very proud of his folks, and of the car. They talked about what extraordinary measure some people had gone to to try and buy it. One person had called repeatedly increaseing his offer each time. They kept telling him it was not for sale . He showed up at their place with a cashiers check, big increase in offer, and they wouldn't sell. Like he said " You sell, the money will be spent sometime before they die in a nursing home, and the car will be gone forever" I'm pretty sure the son would not sell it as long as he had the memories............MO

I didn't have a camera, and didn't think to have wifey take some on her cell phone. Gotta disagree with ya, the thread is not worthless... Those kind of cars ARE out there, and they could be closer to you than you might think................MO

Is he still married to the same woman!?

These folks are my kind of people, We had very similar backgrounds. wives exchanged contact information, I was so interested in the car and their story, I didn't even think to ask if they used the internet. Wouldn't surprise me if they do not. I will see if they do and maybe I can get some pics............MO

Is he still married to the same woman!?
Yes, they were married probably around 1968, me and my wifey were married in 1965. He graduated from high school in 1965, I did in 1964. We ordered our new 1968 Roadrunner the same year they bought this one. And I had my 68 Sport Satellite there at the cruise in parked just about 1/2 block from them .......................MO

Yes, they were married probably around 1968, me and my wifey were married in 1965. He graduated from high school in 1965, I did in 1964. We ordered our new 1968 Roadrunner the same year they bought this one. And I had my 68 Sport Satellite there at the cruise in parked just about 1/2 block from them .......................MO
I 'gradiated' in 69.....the year so fine for a lot of reasons except Nam. Met my future wife in 70 and we recently got divorced after being married for over 30 years. We didn't get married until 86. Didn't have the flu for Christmas but I had it for Valentine's Day when she wanted to get married. That should have been my first sign! lol

I 'gradiated' in 69.....the year so fine for a lot of reasons except Nam. Met my future wife in 70 and we recently got divorced after being married for over 30 years. We didn't get married until 86. Didn't have the flu for Christmas but I had it for Valentine's Day when she wanted to get married. That should have been my first sign! lol
IMO, too much togetherness after both retiring can be pretty tough at times. I have a neighbor that divorced after nearly 50 years. .......................MO

Went to a small town cruise in this afternoon. 39 degree outdoor temp. when we left about 11:00 AM. Usually a big turn out since it is one of the last events for the year. Met a guy, his wife and son--good folks and not self absorbed in their car. 1968 GTX with a 426 hemi he bought new off a local lot that year. 4 speed , all stone stock including the dog dish hubcaps and red line polyglass tires. ( not OEM) Light green with white interior. He had just returned from Vietnam , but still had a little time to go before he got out of the service. He had ALL the paperwork including the cancelled check that his wife wrote out to pay for it. Had all the dealer advertising literature. Even had all the car loan papers.. Car was immaculate because it only had a little over 22,000 actual miles on it !! He said he almost lost it once, because they were having trouble making the payments on the car loan..His wife made some of the payments for him.
With all that documentation, the story, and being a 1968 Hemi GTX what would that car be worth at today's prices? Wouldn't consider selling it and title is in their son's name in case something would happen to him and his wife...........................MO
359 built with 426/4 speed. A car like that should fetch a couple hundred thousand I would say.

Auto Transport Service
Back