• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to access speedometer

Car #4

Local time
1:40 AM
Reaction score
What’s the best way to get to the back of the speedometer? Lower steering column and go up from the back or is there an easy way to bring the dash cluster out towards the steering wheel?

My speedometer doesn’t work and I’ve heard the cable squeaking in there. Now I realize the cable is routed wrong under the dash (discussion in a different thread) so I’m trying to sort this whole mess out and maybe this summer I’ll have a working speedometer.

What car and type cluster?

What’s the best way to get to the back of the speedometer? Lower steering column and go up from the back or is there an easy way to bring the dash cluster out towards the steering wheel?

My speedometer doesn’t work and I’ve heard the cable squeaking in there. Now I realize the cable is routed wrong under the dash (discussion in a different thread) so I’m trying to sort this whole mess out and maybe this summer I’ll have a working speedometer.
1st check the cable routing, pull cable off of speedo and then hook it up again might not be in all the way,then if not you could unhook off of tranny and spin the cable and see if your speedo works.

But I can’t get my hand up in there to get grip on the cable. Too much wiring crap in the way. Plus whoever restored the car put one of the dash lights in the high beam indicator spot and visa versa. Need to get that switched too but can barely see things let alone work on them. Oh what fun!

Drop the column and start removing things.
20210902_142547.jpg

@Jerry Hall If I remove the four bolts from the steering column bracket that go through the firewall will that let the column drop down some like on an e body?
What’s the trick to removing the padded lower dash panels?

@Jerry Hall If I remove the four bolts from the steering column bracket that go through the firewall will that let the column drop down some like on an e body?
What’s the trick to removing the padded lower dash panels?
Question 1 yes.
Question 2, no trick, you just have to get to the pal nuts that hold it in place.

Take plenty of pictures, so you can put it back together, or use for reference along with the service manual.

Auto Transport Service
Back