• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to? Leaking bowl on TQ??

268RTs4ME

Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
I have TQ 6460 late 73 early 74. when I took apart to rebuild noticed places in bottom plate were full of gas, so this is telling me that bowl must be leaking somewhere, visually I see no cracks or breaks, nothing looks warped, so is it those two metering well on bottom of plastic bowl, if it is are they repairable, if not could anybody inform me as to what other carb bowl would fit it, I have about 8 thermoquads, however am trying to keep correct dated carb on it. Thought my problem was solved when I found this. Metal fuel line from gas tank to carb had been rubbing on k frame for who knows how long, hole wasn't that big until I buffed it off, this fuel line leak caused me to put in plugs, wires,pick up control box, fuel pump and fuel filter, and bought carb kit, it was a hard one to find, down by motor mount on a 440. and cost me about $250.00. so don't want to do rebuild on carb unless bowl leak can be repaired. Thanks

Not sure who has them, but someone is selling NEW bowls for TQuads. Biggest problem with them is they warp. That might be the problem with yours preventing it from sealing up.

I suppose the main well plugs could be ever so slightly cracked around the epoxy seam. I have seen one completely separated once. This is a typical problem with Q Jets and I use JB Weld to repair those. Maybe you can rig a way of bubble checking the bowl to verify. If they are cracked then rough the area up with a file to give the epoxy some tooth. Careful not to glue the bowl to the throttle body.

Either that or the warpage issue. I have always heard that these were prone to warping.

Auto Transport Service
Back