• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove paint from fan shroud

R413

Local time
1:53 AM
Reaction score
Got a nice factory plastic shroud that has been painted rattle can black several times over the years. What to do now? Pine sol? Soda blast? Any good ideas?

Usually rattle can paint should just blow off with high air pressure. Or take in the a truck shop pressure washer. It might come off in chunks. Not much sticks to plastic unless it was well treated prior. .

I use Castrol Super Clean to get paint off my plastic models with no harm to the plastic.

I used brake fluid on a console and it made the plastic brittle and it broke in a few places.

Don’t know why, heard of guys using it.

yes the Castrol super clean will clean things well and remove paint.

The paint on this shroud seems to be sticking well. I knew the previous owner and he painted it a few times. Nice well kept car overall so I bet this is nice under the paint. Will be spring before I try anything.

I've had good luck with Easy-Off oven cleaner. Sprayed the part and put it in a plastic bag over night. The paint washed off with water and a little scrubbing with a rag or brush. I haven't tried it on a fan shroud. You should always test it first, maybe on the bottom that you wouldn't see.

I've had good luck with Easy-Off oven cleaner. Sprayed the part and put it in a plastic bag over night. The paint washed off with water and a little scrubbing with a rag or brush. I haven't tried it on a fan shroud. You should always test it first, maybe on the bottom that you wouldn't see.
Ya. That works well to. Not very aggressive. But it works good

I have had good results with oven cleaner for removing paint on plastic as well. I've never had to let it sit overnight however.

Auto Transport Service
Back