• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tell if early or late 69 super bee?

koosh

Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
I attempting to buy new brake drum springs, and many suppliers are listing either an “early or late” 69 Coronet with 11” front brakes? One site definitely showed a different lower shoe spring, either a green, or a brown….not sure what to go with as previous owner screwed up a bunch of this stuff

What's the build date. If memory serves me correct August was the start of production for the new models.

Superbees are never late!

20180326_162153.jpg

I’ve dealt with this question many times in the 1969 parts catalog working at the dealer. The question of early or late is, was the car built before or after 1/1/1969. Several parts in the 69 parts catalog ask this question.

SuperBees ( and any other car ) built after Jan. 1, 1969 had headrests as standard equipment.

This car had no headrests, but that could’ve been changed anyone.
As far as build date, where do i find that?

Look at the fender tag, build sheet, if you have them.

If you don't have either look at the stamp pad by the distributor, assuming the engine is original to the car.

If it is an early car, you can tell by date code on build plate;
9 = September, 1968
A = October, 1968
B = November, 1968
C = December, 1968

Not sure how legible…. This says when built?
IMG_4646.png

Have you searched for the build sheet in the car?

SCHEDULED build date. Not necessarily the exact day it was built, but yeah, looks like an "early" car.
Agree with B15 being Nov.15, '68.
If the vin ends in 112537 that would also indicate an early car ( vins started at 100000).

Probably has the 2 bulb taillights as they switch to 3 bulbs later in production..

When I rebuilt the 11" drums on the '69 R/T I ordered the later '70 parts with the self adjusters so i don't have to mess with manually adjusting the brakes.
The self adjuster kit used a long green lower spring (need to get all the parts if converting to self adjusters, the cable, adjuster lever and the matching adjusters with the ratchet type teeth.) On the manual adjuster setup, I think the lower spring was brown and short?

Auto Transport Service
Back