• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tell if it is a true 69 Roadrunner

I found more info on the car. It is a 383 Satellite convertible, not a true RR.

"1969 Road Runner convertible HEMI "Tribute Car"
THEN WHY DOES IT HAVE A road runner VIN ???????? "RM" .... the problem is when non-Mopar people cobble up these cars, then foist them on the public, who don't know the intricacies of Moaprs, and think they got some kind of supercar, when in fact they got scheisted.

RL Belvedere
RM road runner
RH satellite
RP sport satellite
RS GTX

Incorrect. It matters a LOT, especially in putting a price on the car - and it will somewhat limit who is interested
in buying it, too.
This can get really dicey, because there are degrees of everything, and buyers looking for different levels within the spectrum, but from my limited experience in selling GTXs, it does matter. With every car I sold, I got a lot of interest from guys who weren't super concerned about the numbers deal, but the car always ended up being sold to a guy who was.

Last edited:
Read post #24 again. That is how they designate models. If the body numbers match the VIN, then it is a Road Runner, not a Satellite.

You should be aware that the model designation can change for different years. In 1967 a Belvedere ll was RH and a Satellite was RP etc. Road Runner did not change, from 68 to 75 it was RM

I looked for vin stampings on another 69 RR that is here right now. Just so I know where to look. On the core support, is this correct location? Next to the radiator? I felt around under the trunk weather strip lip all up and down the drivers side and could not feel any indents that could be a stamping. Not wanting to pull up weather strip on some one elses car.

20211203_101636.jpg

It should be on the drivers' side of the radiator support. It could be on the top or backside, between the top tank and the support, upside down or not. It can be lightly stamped and hard to see.

RL Belvedere
RM road runner
RH satellite
RP sport satellite
RS GTX
The above list is accurate for 1968-1970. There are changes in different years. Like 1965-1967 they had Belvedere II and no sport satellite yet.

For 1966-1967
RL Belvedere
RH Belvedere II
RP Satellite
RS 67 GTX

The car model on the title is not always accurate. If you look at enough titles you will se so many mistakes and differences there. The VIN is the important info. And for our 1966-1979 mopars.
first 2 digits of the VIN tell what the car and model is
3rd and 4th is roof type
5th is engine
6th is year
7th is assembly plant

In 1980 all VIN’s worldwide went to 17 digits and a more standardized format across all manufacturers.
1st digit Country of MFG
8th digit engine
10th digit model year
This can be easily looked up online.

Last edited:
I believe the “H” code 383 was available in the Satellite. It was the top option. It was rated at 330HP as opposed to 335HP in the road runner. But then again... in Plymouth advertising in ‘68, they claimed the road runner had “440” heads. My 383 2bbl. has them as well.:D
the 330 HP 383 was a 1971 motor due to emissions equipment in 69 H code is 383 4bbl 335 HP

How tell the difference between a real RR and clone? Is it in the VIN, fender tag? I will post the vin, dont have fender tag, and some pics of the important stuff.

View attachment 1202107
View attachment 1202108
View attachment 1202109
View attachment 1202110
View attachment 1202111
View attachment 1202112
View attachment 1202113
View attachment 1202114
View attachment 1202115

I looked at a coupe once that was listed as a RR. Upon inspection I found only one muffler hanger on the rear floor pan. Definitely a single exhaust system car

I’m not sure how they can legally sell that car since they admit that it started life as a Satellite and has the ID of a Roadrunner.

How tell the difference between a real RR and clone? Is it in the VIN, fender tag? I will post the vin, dont have fender tag, and some pics of the important stuff.

View attachment 1202107
View attachment 1202108
View attachment 1202109
View attachment 1202110
View attachment 1202111
View attachment 1202112
View attachment 1202113
View attachment 1202114
View attachment 1202115

I noticed that the rear leaf springs appear to be from a Satslite. They dont match that Dana 60. With that much horse power they should be the hemi springs. Hemi springs have more leafs.

So, we’re going to change the VIN tag to that of a Roadrunner, but then Hemi swap in a new generation Hemi? The level of stupidity amazes me sometimes!

in 69 H code is 383 4bbl 335 HP

The H in the VIN only tells us the car has a 383-4. It does not tell us WHICH assembly the car received. Specific assemblies and associated HP ratings depend on other factors such as body, (A, B or C), transmission (manual or automatic) and whether the car had a/c or not.

The above list is accurate for 1968-1970. There are changes in different years. Like 1965-1967 they had Belvedere II and no sport satellite yet.

For 1966-1967
RL Belvedere
RH Belvedere II
RP Satellite
RS 67 GTX

The car model on the title is not always accurate. If you look at enough titles you will se so many mistakes and differences there. The VIN is the important info. And for our 1966-1979 mopars.
first 2 digits of the VIN tell what the car and model is
3rd and 4th is roof type
5th is engine
6th is year
7th is assembly plant

In 1980 all VIN’s worldwide went to 17 digits and a more standardized format across all manufacturers.
1st digit Country of MFG
8th digit engine
10th digit model year
This can be easily looked up online.

Actually the 3rd digit is for the number of doors - 2 or 4, and the fourth for the roof -
1 - Sedan or Coupe
2 - Pillared Coupe
3 - Hardtop
4 - Pillared Hardtop
4- Hatchback
5 - 2 seat wagon
6 - 3 seat wagon
7 - Convertible
8 -
9 - Special Hardtop (Fastback)

Over at Dodge all Super Bee models were price class M, just like the Road Runner. The make code was W for Coronet, though.

The above chart covers models to and including 1980.

Also, the 17-digit VIN was adopted for 1981. The confusing part is the model year in the VIN. For 1979 the model year was "9", but for 1980 it was "A". The model year code for 1981 and the new VIN layout was "B". Most people expect a new layout to start at the beginning (A in this case). But nope.

Bill

Auto Transport Service
Back