• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HV vs Standard oil pump

diesel_lv

Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
When I built my 383/496, I installed a high volume oil pump. When I primed it, it almost yanked the drill out of my hand, very high drag. Due to the wearing out of my bronze gear at such a fast rate and going w a melonized gear instead, I've installed a new Melling standard oil pump. When I primed it, I could tell when got primed, but hardly much resistance. Is there "that" much difference on the resistance between a HV vs Standard oil pump? No, I do not have an oil pressure guage installed. Have not received new intermediate shaft yet so haven't started it. Wanting to know if this is normal before I do try starting it. Thank you.

that is normal. Lots of resistance in HV oil pumps.

Most engines don’t need a high volume pump. But most car guys absolutely have to a high volume pump on every system on the car. Foolish really. Waste of energy.

that is normal. Lots of resistance in HV oil pumps.

Most engines don’t need a high volume pump. But most car guys absolutely have to a high volume pump on every system on the car. Foolish really. Waste of energy.
Thanks, definitely no need on mine as it is Never raced, just cruising w an 8 qt pan, so oil will stay plenty cool. Built w stand bearing clearances and likes 5-30 synthetic just fine. It was just unnerving how much different in resistance there is. Didn't want to find out I had a bad pump.

Try this, squeeze your oil filter, does the can flex? Most do, some don’t. If it flexes, Then run the drill it should be firm and no flexing with oil pressure in the system.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be that much resistance in a HV oil pump unless you are running straight STP. I always use HV pumps and 30W break-in oil in new engines here in the shop. Often priming the engine by hand with a 1/4" drive speed wrench and see 65-70 psi.

by hand is turning slower than a drill, which is slower than the engine running. Always get more pressure with the engine running than the drill will make With a HV pump. 65 on the drill 85+ With engine running

Last edited:
When I primed my fresh built 440-495, I noticed that it wasn't as hard to spin the standard oil pump than all the other high volume pumps I used before.
I figured that since I have tight tolerances and don't race the car, the HV pump was a waste of HP.

Cam turns at half crank speed. An 800 rpm idle will be 400 rpm drill speed. Since most drills are faster than that you should be seeing fairly high oil pressure with the drill - just look at its speed and double it to figure engine rpm and is the pressure you have adequate for that rpm. HV pumps are fine for motors with wide bearing clearances but generally not necessary on any steer motor.

by hand is turning slower than a drill, which is slower than the engine running. Always get more pressure with the engine running than the drill will make With a HV pump. 65 on the drill 85+ With engine running
If you say so, but that has not been my experience. Maybe that is why God made by-pass valves? Oh, never mind.

Been running a HV pump for 10 years, 850 passes. Same bronze gear and oil pump drive since 2013. 5w25 synthetic.
Doug

Been running a HV pump for 10 years, 850 passes. Same bronze gear and oil pump drive since 2013. 5w25 synthetic.
Doug
I'm happy for you. Unfortunately after a little less than 5k miles and no drag racing, my bronze gear is worn down to a knife edge. Even Comp says the bronze gears are a consumable and are generally replaced frequently.

Auto Transport Service
Back