• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i am looking for some help with a repair

chryco_psycho

Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
this is the locking gas cap for my car and its SUPER tight to turn and kinda wont make that lat 2% of a rotation in to the filler neck easily. i want to disassemble it and clean it BUT im afraid if i do ill ruin it.

im looking for any help, diagrams or advice of any kind in repairing this thing because i DO NOT want to spend $300 on a new one nor do i want to go without it.

ive sprayed it, soaked it and scrubbed it but it still feels grainy when rotation.

no its not for sale.

Attachments

• 20150413_144853.jpg
    20150413_144853.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 185
that could very well be incorrect for your type of application. you didn't state what car you have it on. looks to be a 2925 881, for a 68,69,70 Charger.
btw, welcome to the forum :)

sorry, its on a 68 charger. to my knowledge it was only availible of chargers, barracudas and imperials but i could be wrong.

it fits the neck fine and seats the hole very well actually, just the 1/4 turn to lock it is difficult. i sit at my desk and rotate the cylinder back and forth a lot with oil to try and lube it, but i am guessing the oil is mixing with the whatever in there and making muddy whatever and not really helping.

it has a tiny flathead screw on the bottom that is very tempting to remove but fear stops me.

- - - Updated - - -

ive been looking for an exploded diagram of one, but i imagine thats like finding a 4 leaf clover soaked in unicorns blood.

sorry, i misunderstood your 1st. post. thought the cap itself wasn't fitting on to your filler neck. i would definitely take it apart and see what the problem is. couldn't be too complicated

I GOT IT!!!!

i got a suggestion to look at a similar cap and break that one so as not to damage my piece of platinum here. luckily briggs and stratton mad a bajillion gas caps and they are mostly the same so after looking at lots of others i took it apart and VOILA!! located inside was a mountain of schmootz built up on the lock stop post.

very easy and simple design that i quickly figured out only goes back together correctly one way.

Attachments

• 20150413_165757.jpg
    20150413_165757.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 119
Auto Transport Service
Back