• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I finally bought a car trailer.

^^^^ yep, no way you're drawing power through the ACC wire of the vehicle to run a proper winch. It's only there to charge the trailer battery and that itself should be through an isolator. Newer vehicles like my '18 F150 even sense if the trailer is there before it turns on the ACC circuit to the plug.

be a lot simpler to mount the battery on the trailer and use the truck wiring to Recharge that battery.
a real winch will Draw a lot of power,and the shorter the cables the better.
on my trailer we welded part of an old reese to the front and use a slider with the winch mounted on that.
when done with the winch,simply stick it back inside the truck,nobody can steal it.
also,does your trailer have a breakaway box,or do they not require them instate?

I have both of my trailers wired like this with their own battery and breakaways also.

Can't believe no one has asked to borrow it yet. So I'll start...can I borrow it next weekend

You got that right! Nothing messes up a trailer better than loaning it out to anybody!

Nothing messes up your new tow vehicle faster than hooking up to someone's trailer that is not wired correctly. Be careful whom you barrow a trailer from.

I've been renting and borrowing trailers, sometimes paying tow trucks for moving my cars around. I stumbled into this deal today and went for it. Tell me what you think. We got a 20 foot Big Tex dovetail with a wood bed. The metal needs some repainting, it's a 1998 model. Trailer brakes, new wheels, and tires. Needs the lights rewired. $1700

Great price!

Big Tex is a bargain
I have a 30' twin dual axle gooseneck, good trailer.

If the wheels tires and brakes are good you got a good deal

I've been renting and borrowing trailers, sometimes paying tow trucks for moving my cars around. I stumbled into this deal today and went for it. Tell me what you think. We got a 20 foot Big Tex dovetail with a wood bed. The metal needs some repainting, it's a 1998 model. Trailer brakes, new wheels, and tires. Needs the lights rewired. $1700
You will be happy. My open trailer wood finally needs replacing. And I quickly learned how much I already miss. lugging the big enclosed trailer can be a pain. But I would also recommend not too advertise too much? You will have distant friends suddenly appear. And guess what they need? Lol.

That's why you install a 2-5/16" hitch on it and a 7 wire plug. Illuminates all those 2" ball and 4 wire plug people. That's 90% of those whom will ask to barrow it. For the other 10% always keep it loaded with something. Problem solved.

Mine is just a little longer. :lol:

20190219_100217.jpg

I'm checking winches now. I'm not too sure how many pounds I need. Are winches rated for the weight of a rolling vehicle or the pounds it could lift straight up off the ground?

Looks nice. Good thing about the wood deck you can screw anything down anywhere when hauling other stuff than a car. Bad thing about the wood deck it rots out after several years. My open was once a wood deck. I welded diamond plate on top after removing the old rotted wood.
Laid down steel on my first trailer and was done with rotting wood. If you keep the oil off of the wood, it'll last for a lot of years though.

be a lot simpler to mount the battery on the trailer and use the truck wiring to Recharge that battery.
a real winch will Draw a lot of power,and the shorter the cables the better.
on my trailer we welded part of an old reese to the front and use a slider with the winch mounted on that.
when done with the winch,simply stick it back inside the truck,nobody can steal it.
also,does your trailer have a breakaway box,or do they not require them instate?
Did the same with mine....mounted the winch on a tongue and welded a receiver to the front of the trailer. Also set up a J hook on a short chain and hooked it to another tongue with a hook mounted to it. The J hook was perfect for hooking to the K frame.

You got that right! Nothing messes up a trailer better than loaning it out to anybody!
Amen to that!!

That's why you install a 2-5/16" hitch on it and a 7 wire plug. Illuminates all those 2" ball and 4 wire plug people. That's 90% of those whom will ask to barrow it. For the other 10% always keep it loaded with something. Problem solved.
Right now my enclosed trailer is being used for storage but have already been asked several times to borrow it. When I tell them it also has the 2 5/16" hitch and that it weighs 4400 lbs empty, that usually shuts them up pretty fast lol

I'm checking winches now. I'm not too sure how many pounds I need. Are winches rated for the weight of a rolling vehicle or the pounds it could lift straight up off the ground?
I have a 35+ year old SuperWinch rated at 3000 lbs and it's served me well and if you need more pulling power, just use a snatch block. That pretty much doubles the pulling power. Also, mine is heavy enough to lift without it being more powerful. I know some that are using ones from Harbor Freight that are lighter and rated higher....some seem to be ok whiles others have failed pretty quickly.

yeah
do NOT waste your time w the harbor freight winches esp the 12k ones as the drums fail Brand new out of the box.

this is one of those times where buying quality counts.
much like buying real peanut butter,cheese,tinfoil,etc etc.

edit:
Did the same with mine....mounted the winch on a tongue and welded a receiver to the front of the trailer. Also set up a J hook on a short chain and hooked it to another tongue with a hook mounted to it. The J hook was perfect for hooking to the K frame.

i keep meaning to buy new j hooks
TY for the reminder Cranky !! :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back