• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I broke it already

Moroso 41060.
A piece of 1 1/2" od thin wall pipe with a plug in it should work. The seal should hold it in place.
For no longer than you will be running it if the seal extends beyond the shaft just tape it off.
Got one coming from Summit, thanks. :)
I'm still trying to resolve this theory of yours, though - if it didn't do it when I had the rear axle off the ground, chances
are it's not going to do it with the driveshaft out either, is it?

Thanks for the update Ed, was hoping it was just the Speedo cable. You just can't catch a break! But as always you will Win!

not to minimize the situation..........but compared to all you have done, this is a minor setback

Good luck with this, I'm rooting for you moparedtn!
Thanks a lot guys, always grateful for the encouragement.
I might as well say this one time and I'll not post it again, promise:
I'm not supposed to be here now. It's kind of baffling the medical folks how I am, really.
The goal these last almost 5 years was to get my house in order and this car is big on the list.
It's been slow and hard as hell sometimes but man, it's so close now. Thought I had it.

I'm determined to see it through. Hope He sees it that way, too. :thumbsup:

I'm not supposed to be here now. It's kind of baffling the medical folks how I am, really.
The goal these last almost 5 years was to get my house in order and this car is big on the list.
It's been slow and hard as hell sometimes but man, it's so close now. Thought I had it.

Face it your times not come.

Praying for you also now!
Let's both NOT stress out over cars, OK?

Got one coming from Summit, thanks. :)
I'm still trying to resolve this theory of yours, though - if it didn't do it when I had the rear axle off the ground, chances
are it's not going to do it with the driveshaft out either, is it?
If it doesn't it will eliminate the yoke bushing and if it does it will eliminate the rear end.
If nothing else you will not have to worry about grease on the floor when you take the tranny out.
Forgot is your tranny an 18 or 24 spline?

Question. If you're on a highway, with no traffic, cruising along about 60 mph, AND ITS MAKING THAT NOISE, what happens if you put it in neutral and shut off the engine ?

Question. If you're on a highway, with no traffic, cruising along about 60 mph, AND ITS MAKING THAT NOISE, what happens if you put it in neutral and shut off the engine ?
Wondered that myself. Would eliminate cluster and input shaft bearings.
I still think the problem is 4 ft farther back.

If it doesn't it will eliminate the yoke bushing and if it does it will eliminate the rear end.
If nothing else you will not have to worry about grease on the floor when you take the tranny out.
23 spline:poke:

I listened to the video several times. That is so strange, your engine speed is steady, doesn't sound like it is pulling like going up hill, does not come on gradually, just as you say- like flipping on a switch. I'm not convinced yet that it is in the transmission gears unless it is in the tail shaft .................................MO

If he were closer I would have 2 test options. Overdrive 4 spd that bearing retainer would be wrong or big block 3 spd that may not bolt up.

While your waiting for the plug check your front wheel bearings like was said earlier. I have been listening to the video more and the sound does remind me of a front wheel bearing going bad on my 03 impala. That noise was obviously from the front but thats a fwd car. Would it resonate back like that on these old girls? Different design but??

Edit- I reread your other post. Did you ever get a new yolk? You mentioned it had play/wear. Did you hurt it with your little clutch drop/ tire roasting? Did you damage your bushing again?

Last edited:
I thought I have heard that sound before, and just now remembered where from. I have run large trucks for many years. They have slip yokes that go over splines on the drive-line. At least one on the front driveshaft , and another in the driveshaft between the twin screws. When the yoke gets worn and loose on the splines, at certain driveshaft rpm, and most likely when there is no load on the driveshaft, they will set up a harmonic vibration that sounds just like in the video. The sound comes on all of a sudden , like after a big stress is put on the drive-line ( such as spinning the tires and banging a gear?) Makes the sound whether in gear or not, and whether clutch is dis-engaged or not, Goes away below a certain speed , and comes back when you get back up to that speed. ... May be a clue .......MO

As I've posted a few times already, I've tried trans in neutral w/clutch in; clutch out. Did not shut off engine; that's sort of nuts.
Any engine harmonic issue that might have transmitted down the way would be a gradually increasing thing, not an on/off situation like in the video, no?

I listened to the video several times. That is so strange, your engine speed is steady, doesn't sound like it is pulling like going up hill, does not come on gradually, just as you say- like flipping on a switch. I'm not convinced yet that it is in the transmission gears unless it is in the tail shaft .................................MO
I know. Bizarre, right?
I could buy into something like the tailshaft bearing or yoke bushing breaking loose from their "press fit" in their housings once the car (and by association, tailshaft) reaches a speed the friction of their mounting cannot resist - and then spinning along with the tailshaft?
If that's the case, then buzzing the car on up past 70 could possibly mean the tailshaft is spinning so fast that the bushing/bearing then cannot hang on for the ride on it, either, and returns to slipping enough that the noise subsides.
Grasping at straws here, but nothing in the whole engine/rear axle/u-joint theories makes sense to me when you think that the noise comes on INSTANTLY at a given speed - all of those would build up vibration/noise gradually with speed, I would think?

I thought I have heard that sound before, and just now remembered where from. I have run large trucks for many years. They have slip yokes that go over splines on the drive-line. At least one on the front driveshaft , and another in the driveshaft between the twin screws. When the yoke gets worn and loose on the splines, at certain driveshaft rpm, and most likely when there is no load on the driveshaft, they will set up a harmonic vibration that sounds just like in the video. The sound comes on all of a sudden , like after a big stress is put on the drive-line ( such as spinning the tires and banging a gear?) Makes the sound whether in gear or not, and whether clutch is dis-engaged or not, Goes away below a certain speed , and comes back when you get back up to that speed. ... May be a clue .......MO
You may be onto something here, my friend. When I read this, I remember when Beekeeper came over to help install the new tailshaft bushing last fall.
I wrote about it at the time on whatever thread that was...
The yoke on the driveshaft was moving around quite a bit in the rear of the tranny, which several members identified as having a worn out bushing - and they were right, as we found out when we pulled the old bushing out - but the bushing wasn't THAT worn out, just had some miles on it.
The vibration I was chasing then backed off quite a bit after we installed the new bushing, but there was still some slop there. I may have even commented that I'd replace the yoke "one day" but that things had improved enough to drive the car with some level of comfort.

Well, now that has had a couple hundred miles on it (at most) and perhaps the yoke has established a wear pattern in the new bushing to the point you describe?
Man, I love how you've hung in here with me and tried to help. :thumbsup:

Ya' know, I'm thinking I've heard this type of buzzing before from one of mine. But that was way back when and I don't remember even chasing down the cause. Maybe not as pronounced as your issue.
Nothing to loose at this point. Just for grins, take a hard look at the shifter and linkage for anything that may be resonating and making noise due to vibration from the drive train. Loose bushings, bolts, covers, etc.
I am having a hard time believing you have a tail housing bushing spinning.
You might also pull the seal and indicate the output shaft, and check drive shaft for straightness and balance.
After that, a rear trans case bearing?

Ya' know, I'm thinking I've heard this type of buzzing before from one of mine. But that was way back when and I don't remember even chasing down the cause. Maybe not as pronounced as your issue.
Nothing to loose at this point. Just for grins, take a hard look at the shifter and linkage for anything that may be resonating and making noise due to vibration from the drive train. Loose bushings, bolts, covers, etc.
I am having a hard time believing you have a tail housing bushing spinning.
You might also pull the seal and indicate the output shaft, and check drive shaft for straightness and balance.
After that, a rear trans case bearing?
Thanks. Yeah I agree, that new bushing can't be spinning. It pressed in last fall with the special tool, very snug fit.
Heck, I can't place a finger on any heavy metal part in that area right under/behind the shifter. The more I play back my video, the more it's convincing me it's something fairly lightweight. Heck, it sounds like an old buzzer alerting me to something. :lol:
I've even got the backup light switch disconnected at the moment, grasping at straws. Can't be the switch, can it?

As I've posted a few times already, I've tried trans in neutral w/clutch in; clutch out. Did not shut off engine; that's sort of nuts.
If you're on a Road with no traffic, you will isolate drive train forward of trans gears. I did that way back & found a noise was vibration because of a broken trans mount

Is it possible to pull the shifter boot off. And take a spin? I know I said bearing first but it almost sounds like something due to wind. It doesn't make sense about the being warm as far as that goes but to my old ears it sounds like wind noise possibly?? Good luck. Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back