• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I broke it already

Another Option for temporary removal of speedo gear housing is a rubber freeze plug.

I like that you are replacing the yoke and u joints. If the yoke splines are worn enough to allow movement, the sound could be the seal squeaking on the sloppy yoke.

I think you said that replacing the tailshaft bushing got rid of most of the vibration but not all if it? You're like me, try simple things first!

I like that you are replacing the yoke and u joints. If the yoke splines are worn enough to allow movement, the sound could be the seal squeaking on the sloppy yoke.

I think you said that replacing the tailshaft bushing got rid of most of the vibration but not all if it? You're like me, try simple things first!
Yeah, as soon as I figure out which yoke it is. Come to find out, there's several?
As far as I know, it's the original driveshaft to the car, so it ought to be simple, but according to Brewer's and others, there's apparently more than a few.

Another Option for temporary removal of speedo gear housing is a rubber freeze plug.
Fran, have I ever told you just how much I appreciate all your help and advice, just hanging with me through all these trials and tribulations?
God bless ya man. I am humbled. :)

Give him time. He has more pressing issues than the car. But it keeps him going.
Thanks, my friend. Truer words never written right there.
In this case, it's just been workload, weather and of course the ever-present carcass (mine) limitations, which I keep insisting on pushing.
Example: Decided to run heaters in the garage recently to change the spark plugs in the '04 hemi Ram.
All 16 of 'em. :screwy:
Done it since new. Throw a blanket over top of the engine and climb in. There's 5 on the driver's side under the brake booster that are friggin
maddening to get to unless you have tiny little girly hands - which I don't.
Factory says every 30k miles. Since the truck enjoys semi-retirement status these last some years, I had been putting it off since the last
"c" surgery. Well, it was way past time. It was also a stone biyotch to do. Really hard on the abdomen, as you might imagine.
Paid for that for days. I never let others work on my vehicles, but I can tell you now that's the last time I'll ever do that chore.
Makes a fella want to find a Dodge engineer and choke shiyat outta him. :D

As far as the GTX goes, current plan is to wait for a decent weather day and take it cross town to a fellow who owns a repair shop to have a listen.
Dude is a Mopar guy, has restored some and keeps them personally. We'll see what he hears.

Beyond that, I reckon it's time to fetch a rebuilt one with a warranty, probably a Passon since it's the most reasonably priced ($1000).
Their website offers very little detail in what goes into one of their rebuilts, though.
Brewer's has them for $1500 and Dan has been a tremendous help to me in the past, not to mention they're very descriptive in what they
do when rebuilding a unit.
Either way, if it comes to that, I will begrudgingly pay the Mopar guy to swap it out.
I simply can't see getting under the car for that kind of work anymore.
It is what it is.

....................All 16 of 'em. :screwy:...............

Did my '05 Ram for the first time last year. I hear ya' on this!
One of these might be handy..........
upload_2018-3-15_8-23-24.png

Then too, if you're creative with a garage door opener...........
upload_2018-3-15_8-27-52.png

Thanks, my friend. Truer words never written right there.
In this case, it's just been workload, weather and of course the ever-present carcass (mine) limitations, which I keep insisting on pushing.
Example: Decided to run heaters in the garage recently to change the spark plugs in the '04 hemi Ram.
All 16 of 'em. :screwy:
Done it since new. Throw a blanket over top of the engine and climb in. There's 5 on the driver's side under the brake booster that are friggin
maddening to get to unless you have tiny little girly hands - which I don't.
Factory says every 30k miles. Since the truck enjoys semi-retirement status these last some years, I had been putting it off since the last
"c" surgery. Well, it was way past time. It was also a stone biyotch to do. Really hard on the abdomen, as you might imagine.
Paid for that for days. I never let others work on my vehicles, but I can tell you now that's the last time I'll ever do that chore.
Makes a fella want to find a Dodge engineer and choke shiyat outta him. :D

As far as the GTX goes, current plan is to wait for a decent weather day and take it cross town to a fellow who owns a repair shop to have a listen.
Dude is a Mopar guy, has restored some and keeps them personally. We'll see what he hears.

Beyond that, I reckon it's time to fetch a rebuilt one with a warranty, probably a Passon since it's the most reasonably priced ($1000).
Their website offers very little detail in what goes into one of their rebuilts, though.
Brewer's has them for $1500 and Dan has been a tremendous help to me in the past, not to mention they're very descriptive in what they
do when rebuilding a unit.
Either way, if it comes to that, I will begrudgingly pay the Mopar guy to swap it out.
I simply can't see getting under the car for that kind of work anymore.
It is what it is.

If you're considering a Passon unit and have questions, just give Jaime Passon a call. He's very easy to talk to and will answer all your questions. He did my 4speed conversion on my 70RR and I used one of his rebuilt units. I was very happy with his work and service.

Agree was worried not hearing about progress. I'll get this in, if trans is pulled/changed index bellhousing just besure it's right.:D

If you're considering a Passon unit and have questions, just give Jaime Passon a call. He's very easy to talk to and will answer all your questions. He did my 4speed conversion on my 70RR and I used one of his rebuilt units. I was very happy with his work and service.
Awesome, thanks! :)

Auto Transport Service
Back