• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I broke it already

Agree was worried not hearing about progress. I'll get this in, if trans is pulled/changed index bellhousing just besure it's right.:D
Would it make any sense that if the last transmission worked fine with the same bell (and this one functions fine as well), that there isn't necessarily
an issue at the other end of things where no noise is evident?

The engine and bell housing came from different cars, right? Alignment problem may not show right away. The repair shop your going to should be able to check it. Factory wouldn't have you check if there's never a problem. They had off set dowel pins. It just eliminates a possible problem. Alignment might be fine but you don't know for sure.

The engine and bell housing came from different cars, right? Alignment problem may not show right away. The repair shop your going to should be able to check it. Factory wouldn't have you check if there's never a problem. They had off set dowel pins. It just eliminates a possible problem. Alignment might be fine but you don't know for sure.
Oh yeah, engine is a '72, bellhousing is late 60's, transmission is early 70's B/E.
It'll be shame if I have to swap out this transmission; it shifts beautifully and it's quiet - or it was, anyways.
Still drives great even after this racket showed up. Can't tell any difference function-wise at all. I just know the noise means something.
What, I have no idea....

Well maybe ur right, but I don’t go along with it! Keep going Ed.
Thanks my friend. I don't know any other way and wouldn't accept it if I did.
Latest round of tests now reveal an issue with the thyroid. I guess another visit with the doc with the loooong needle is eminent. :eek:
I love how you're laying on the table and she comes at you with that friggin monster needle and says "now, hold still".
Uh yeah, Doc, no worries there. :)

Well, an update of sorts...
Weather has been downright New England-ish the last couple weeks and we have still more to come apparently.
Anyways, I seized on a few hour window of opportunity today and ran the car over to the shop.
Fellow took a ride with me, heard the noise clear as day - and looked at me and said "I've never heard that
before in my life".
:realcrazy:
He went through all I had done and came up with the conclusion that, based on what he was feeling/hearing in person,
it could only be a bearing.
Reckon I concur at this point - the noise is getting worse with more driving and the gear lube I drained the other day to
remove the speedo pinion didn't look so great, adding credence to the bearing theory.

Thought process quickly moved from there, past trying to fix this one (which would no doubt turn into a full blown rebuild
quickly) to ok, guess I'll have to fetch another transmission - and if I go there, it won't be just any transmission.
It best come from a known good source and either have a warranty (hello, Passon or Brewer's) - or come from someone I
seriously trust to get it from.
Only going to do this once. Really don't have the patience - or yes, time - to fool around with this for long.
Oh, and the real shocker of the day - he doesn't want to do the swap, either.
He tells me this as I make note of the '71 'Cuda on one lift and the full tube frame 'Cuda in another bay.
He says he only works on his own Mopars now, not anyone else's - and "modern" stuff for customers.
Says something else could go wrong during the job and he doesn't want that grief.
Whatever.:BangHead:

I got a couple other places in town that didn't bat an eye telling me they're not afraid of the job and they shouldn't be.
The one literally within a mile of my place says "yeah, bring it by or I can come give it a nice ride on the rollback. $100."
As in he wants $100 to do the job. Even expects me to be there when he does to "keep him straight".
I think I have a new buddy. :)

Ok....Brewer's or Passon?
I'd love to do an 18 spline, but my brand new clutch setup is for a 23 spline 11".

Now I’m kinda wondering the $100 quote, might be just to haul it on the rollback? A little more due diligence is indicated? Otherwise price sounds good, but you always gotta listen close to what’s said. If it’s just the rear bearing(?) and a little ‘press& install” $100 sounds pretty good.

Bee the rear bearing is a big job. Think your advice on pricing is spot on. Being clear on what you get for your money is a must, assume nothing.
Good luck Ed.

The ride is a $100. He isnt hauling it for free.

If the goal is to replace the trans just drive it there if its a reasonable distance. Your not hurting anything you want to reuse anyway. Save the 100 for that new 18 spline clutch disk.

I reckon I didn't explain that part very well, eh?
The last gentleman (the guy with the shop very close to me) offered the rollback as a courtesy should I feel the need -
which I don't. Was nice of him to offer just the same.
When I asked what sort of money he wanted to swap the transmission, his answer was "oh, about $100".
Kind of off the cuff sort of answer.
He knows me as a fellow local car guy (we both attend local cruise-ins and such) and he's worked on some other
local folks' older rides, so I'm getting preferential treatment of a sort.
He knows I'm wanting use of his lift as much as anything else and will be under the car with him, unless he just
flat runs me off "due to insurance".

Yes, once one goes after the main or rear bearing, you're pretty much disassembling the whole unit anyways -
which leads to rebuilding the whole dang thing, of course.
Heck with it. For the price (and time), it's probably best just to fetch one ready to rock.
Brewer's buys cores anyways, so that'll help a little if I go his way.

So again....Brewer's or Passon?
Dan Brewer's website is very specific in describing his rebuild process; Passon, not so much.

So again....Brewer's or Passon? Dan Brewer's website is very specific in describing his rebuild process; Passon said:
Call them both. See who you connect with better. Compare apples to apples and see where you get the best deal on product, service and price.

I have a running relationship with Brewer's and Dan has been more than helpful on numerous occasions.
That's not a slight on Passon, I just haven't dealt with them is all. Haven't ever seen anything negative on them.
I do know their rebuilt is $1000 and Dan's is $1500.

I have a running relationship with Brewer's and Dan has been more than helpful on numerous occasions.
That's not a slight on Passon, I just haven't dealt with them is all. Haven't ever seen anything negative on them.
I do know their rebuilt is $1000 and Dan's is $1500.
Sounds like Dan has been your go to guy in the past and has been helpful. Reward him with your business.

Decision made, order placed.
Came down to a factor of time.
Brewer's is months behind in orders and won't have a unit available until the end of May (!).
Dan was honest in telling me that and I appreciate it.

Had a nice chat with Jamie at Passon just a bit ago. We spoke on several topics and he shed some
light on things I had been wondering about in Mopar world in general.
Dude sounds tired but that's a good thing. He also sounds honest.
Three weeks on his time frame.
I placed an order with him on the spot, including a roller type input bearing to install in place of the bushing.
Wife is fussing. She'll get over it.

He recommended going back with the late 60's 23 spline unit since I still have that crossmember, even though
he advised that the early 70's B/E unit I have now is no different mechanically, just on shifter mounting options
and I have the modified crossmember for that as well, which I'll probably be selling.

Now the wait begins....

Decision made, order placed.
Came down to a factor of time.
Brewer's is months behind in orders and won't have a unit available until the end of May (!).
Dan was honest in telling me that and I appreciate it.

Had a nice chat with Jamie at Passon just a bit ago. We spoke on several topics and he shed some
light on things I had been wondering about in Mopar world in general.
Dude sounds tired but that's a good thing. He also sounds honest.
Three weeks on his time frame.
I placed an order with him on the spot, including a roller type input bearing to install in place of the bushing.
Wife is fussing. She'll get over it.

He recommended going back with the late 60's 23 spline unit since I still have that crossmember, even though
he advised that the early 70's B/E unit I have now is no different mechanically, just on shifter mounting options
and I have the modified crossmember for that as well, which I'll probably be selling.

Now the wait begins....

Did Jamie have any insight into the noise?

Did Jamie have any insight into the noise?
Naw, not really. I think he said it pretty much had to be a bearing, but he'd have to look at it.
Honestly, the dude just sounded real tired and very busy. I did manage to loosen him up a little when
I brought up subjects like Graveyard Cars/Mark Worman, Professor Rick Ehrenberg and the like.
I think I embarrassed him a little when he answered the phone and I said "wow, THE Jamie Passon?". :)

Auto Transport Service
Back