• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idiot Light

I wasn’t thinking of the hysteresis. Even worse. The 30 psi switch actually tells me something I want to know.

Well out of 30,000 plus members on here, you're the only one who has brought this up.

I checked the sending unit against the mechanical guage and it lights up when the oil pressure drops to about 5 psi. That's crazy thinking that the manufacturers designed it at that low of a pressure. I guess a standard pump maxing out around 30 to 40 psi, idling around 20 psi, that was sufficient.

Checking in the Standard manufacturer pressure switch book today, the majority of the switches are rated at 3 psi to 9 psi to activate the light. I couldn't find a factory replacement unit that was much over this. Searching other means I did find one that Jegs sells thats rated at 15 psi. I also found several that are adjustable from a couple of other manufacturers.

My main concern was if under hard acceleration for a period of time and the sump was sucked dry, I wasn't going to see it on my guage mounted under the dash. The light would hopfully get my attention. I'm leaning on the one from Jegs that's rated at 15 psi. When thoroughly warmed up and at idle, in gear, I'm showing 25 psi.

Thanks Nate for bringing this to my attention.

Well out of 30,000 plus members on here, you're the only one who has brought this up.

I checked the sending unit against the mechanical guage and it lights up when the oil pressure drops to about 5 psi. That's crazy thinking that the manufacturers designed it at that low of a pressure. I guess a standard pump maxing out around 30 to 40 psi, idling around 20 psi, that was sufficient.

Checking in the Standard manufacturer pressure switch book today, the majority of the switches are rated at 3 psi to 9 psi to activate the light. I couldn't find a factory replacement unit that was much over this. Searching other means I did find one that Jegs sells thats rated at 15 psi. I also found several that are adjustable from a couple of other manufacturers.

My main concern was if under hard acceleration for a period of time and the sump was sucked dry, I wasn't going to see it on my guage mounted under the dash. The light would hopfully get my attention. I'm leaning on the one from Jegs that's rated at 15 psi. When thoroughly warmed up and at idle, in gear, I'm showing 25 psi.

Thanks Nate for bringing this to my attention.

I’m glad the info was helpful. The switch I got was from “Quickcar racing products” got it on amazon. I’ve never had the light turn on (when running). 30psi.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back