• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

idler pully

cinciaz

Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
Have a 1971 Charger 383 magnum A/C car. Nothing on the front of the engine was on the car. I put everything on P/S pump, A/C, Alternater, water pump. Everything pully wise lines up except the idler pully. Nothing looks bent for the alternater bracket. The pully component needs to come out about 1/8th inch. Has anybody had this problem? Figured would bounce this off of all the pros out there.

If it's only 1/8'' can't you shim the mount with some washers ?
Pictures would help to give better advice.

Yes shims would work all though the shims are not supposed to be there trying to figure out why it is not fitting right. Will post pics in a few days.

Yes shims would work all though the shims are not supposed to be there trying to figure out why it is not fitting right. Will post pics in a few days.
Yes I know they are not supposed to be in there but if that can get you up and running till you can find the correct bracket that's what I would do. Trying to find the correct brackets & pulleys for your year can be fun. I swear it seems like they changed them up every year !

Thats what worries me, I know for sure that the are the correct brackets. I think somthing is bent and I dont what to spend 200 dollars on the brackets I already have. I will try to post pictures sometime this afternoon.

An 1/8 inch isn’t to bad at all. The idler bracket can bend from the years of service and heaven knows what sat on top of it for how long in a box.

With that in mind, have you looked really hard at the angle of the pulley itself? I ask this because bending the bracket itself can realign it but canter the pulley itself. The option of bending the bracket maybe possible. It would be a very small bend needed. If such is the case

Thank for the input rumblefish360, I didn't think that would be possible. For everybody that has looked at this post here are some pics. Just FYI when I got the car everything was thrown into the trunk. Possible bendage????? maybe...

IMG_5998.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back