• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you're depending on zinc to protect your flat tappet?

I much prefer an oil designed for protecting a flat tappet cam than adding an additive to an oil The off the shelf brands of oil for modern gasoline have less zddp, and heavy on detergents that scrub the oil off parts, (like your flat tappet cam), but extend the oils life. That isn’t Driven, Penngrade, Valvoline VR1, Amsoil Vrod, Lucus…just to name a few, that are properly engineered for flat tappet engines, and need no additive for zddp.

This is almost exactly what Dwayne Porter told me.
I had a cam failure in 2022 after using a new synthetic ( high detergent) that claimed to have extra ZDDP. He thought the detergent served to wipe away the ZDDP as fast as it touched the metal, rendering it useless.
Also, he argued against pour in additives based on the belief that they may not be compatible with the oil, that they could be worthless or even negate any benefits by conflicting with the existing chemistry of each other.

It is not just the Zn. It is Ph also that needs to be part of the additive package. There are so many good oils today that have the Zn/Ph added that it would be foolish to add Zn/Ph separately because you do not know how that would react with the additives already in the oil...

Only thing I have on the road right now is my 2 Lesabres. Both are roller cam. I have been running semi synthetic 10-30 Rotella in them, did it in my Corolla to 264K and totaled the car. Clean-clean-clean! Duster has been sitting for since 2009. (slant) '93 CTD I am stunned doesn't have a roller cam! Hopefully back on the road by May. I have a large supply of 15-40 Valvoline diesel oil to use up I bought back in 2008 when it was $12 a case at Flying-J.

When STP was fazing out their oil "stabilizer" 30 weight ZDDP additive I cleaned off the shelf at O'Reilly's. Gave away a bottle to a friend who built a 383 Chevy for break in. Myself? Never used any.

Anyone follow Lake Speed Junior on Youtube? https://www.youtube.com/@themotoroilgeek

I know a lot are running diesel oil in their gas burning engines. Probably all are fine at low rpm daily driving and cruising but those diesel oils are not formulated for higher rpm performance gasoline engines. Just my .02 cents.

Oil changed today. Thanks for giving me the motivation lol.
20240311_164908.jpg

That is the oil that I started using after my LAST cam failure.

Almost $10/qt but I feel it is cheap insurance for engine health.

Almost $10/qt but I feel it is cheap insurance for engine health.
OK, so you spend $60 on an oil change. How much would you spend on an engine rebuild?!? (I know you agree with me, just making the point) :thumbsup:

I totally agree with using a good oil, with controlled levels of ZDDP (and other additives) made for our old cars.

I think HR5 is pretty much as good as it gets in these old street driven engines with flat tappet cams.

I once drained the oil on an engine that had a zddp additive in it, the zddp additive came out first, then the oil. Not exactly what you hope for with an zddp additive. Lol

Mine is still flat tappet solid lift cam/lifters. Almost 12000 miles now.
I switched to straight 30 wt Rotella with a bottle of Lucas ZDDP additive at oil changes

I've been using Penn Grade, formerly Brad Penn, formerly Kendall. Remember Kendall? Green oil from back when almost ever engine was using flat tappet cams. It's the exact same formula without any changes. That's why I'm using it.

I've been using Penn Grade, formerly Brad Penn, formerly Kendall. Remember Kendall? Green oil from back when almost ever engine was using flat tappet cams. It's the exact same formula without any changes. That's why I'm using it.
You don't say....
oilpenngrade 002.JPG

The FT lifters are failing not because of the oil but poor quality lifters. Best oil in the world will not save junk FT lifters.....

No offense man but your opinion goes against the grain.
Thanks for chiming in but smart guys in the industry see it another way.

So you think a lifter that has no radius or made of soft metal....will not wipe out if the best oil is used??

Do you write for the news?
You read into things that are no there. I didn't state that. I disagree with your assertion that Oil isn't to blame. Sometimes it is.
I do agree that inferior manufacturing of the shaft and lifters also carries some if not a large part of the blame.

Auto Transport Service
Back