• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm on the Ohio-Michigan line, and need cam bearings installed in a big block

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:09 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a machine shop they have personal experience with doing this job?

Thanks

Do you feel up for the gratification to putting them in yourself?

Do you feel up for the gratification to putting them in yourself?
I tried and even bought a cam bearing tool, which was too small to install the larger bearing. Any suggestions?

I tried and even bought a cam bearing tool, which was too small to install the larger bearing. Any suggestions?
I did my own in my 440 this past year. It's really not that difficult. You can get the tool from Autozone and maybe others in the "loaner tool" programs. You simply by the rental tool from them, keep the receipt and you have 30 days to return. And yes, the tools and program are for alot of various tools that only get used once or twice. The tool comes with a few plastic size "cones". It's a pretty cool program, I used to manage an AutoZone.
As for putting them in, it's pretty straight forward. You can even watch a few Youtube vids to help. Just start with the back bearing and work you way forward. Make sure the holes are always in line (in bearing and in block), tap in little at a time, make sure you don't go to far when tapping.

I did my own in my 440 this past year. It's really not that difficult. You can get the tool from Autozone and maybe others in the "loaner tool" programs. You simply by the rental tool from them, keep the receipt and you have 30 days to return. And yes, the tools and program are for alot of various tools that only get used once or twice. The tool comes with a few plastic size "cones". It's a pretty cool program, I used to manage an AutoZone.
As for putting them in, it's pretty straight forward. You can even watch a few Youtube vids to help. Just start with the back bearing and work you way forward. Make sure the holes are always in line (in bearing and in block), tap in little at a time, make sure you don't go to far when tapping.
I like to use a sharpie to place a line from the oil hole to the edge to line up the bearing with the block hole when looking down into the block.
Mike

Pardon all the grammar and typo mistakes :)

The touchy part comes when fitting the camshaft into the bearings. I always have to shave the bearing "high spots" to get a proper fit. You will see "shiny" spots where the fit is too tight. I use a 3 corner bearing knife to shave with. I have a old broom handle to get the center locations. Remove the knife from its handle and insert it into the broom handle. There is probably much more info on this site about this topic.
Mike

As 493 Mike said, the tough part can sometimes be in fitment. I've found on plenty of them an undersized housing bore from the factory. Usually it's only one of them, but it could be a couple. When u find the trouble spots they can be 1-2 thousands undersize. When younger and listening to some older people in the business they said you just have to carve on the bearings to get the cam to fit. But later learned that if you take measurements with a dial bore gauge before doing all your work, you will find those problem bores. Opening them up to spec will make all your bearings go right in nicely, and you won't have to do the pain in the *** carving. Taking a small Sunnen Jr. hone down inside that tunnel to the bad one is never a job my guys enjoy doing, but it gets the job done.
Maybe you're one of the lucky ones and your block was sized good from factory. Good luck.

As 493 Mike said, the tough part can sometimes be in fitment. I've found on plenty of them an undersized housing bore from the factory. Usually it's only one of them, but it could be a couple. When u find the trouble spots they can be 1-2 thousands undersize. When younger and listening to some older people in the business they said you just have to carve on the bearings to get the cam to fit. But later learned that if you take measurements with a dial bore gauge before doing all your work, you will find those problem bores. Opening them up to spec will make all your bearings go right in nicely, and you won't have to do the pain in the *** carving. Taking a small Sunnen Jr. hone down inside that tunnel to the bad one is never a job my guys enjoy doing, but it gets the job done.
Maybe you're one of the lucky ones and your block was sized good from factory. Good luck.
Ya, on my 440 I thought it might be due to possible core shift from the factory. I also never had cam bores lined honed. I assembled the cam and it was very tight to turn. I ended up diagnosing the last bore, and a touch of number 4 where the culprits. So, whether or not I was correct, I took 2 very long extensions, wrapped a socket (that was a bit smaller diameter) with scotch bright. Added some oil to it and gently "honed" the bearing a little. Probably knocked 10K thousand miles off my next re-bearing, but it worked. The cam spins smooth, 30lbs of oil pressure steady and constant whenever she runs. :)

I spoke to the local AZ about borrowing a tool, and he said to rent or buy it was the same price.

Performance Automotive in Hillsdale, MI. Steve Stratton will take care of you. 440'

Auto Parts Machine Shop in Ann Arbor. They do all my engine work, and most of the Mopar guys I know as well. Darryl is very knowledgeable and knows Mopars very well. And that’s pretty close to you.

I spoke to the local AZ about borrowing a tool, and he said to rent or buy it was the same price.
You don't borrow the tool. The program is called "Loaner Tool Program". When you walk in on the sales counter there is a big plastic map of tools that are available. What you do is pay for the "loaner tool" full price, then you have 30 days to return it for a full refund. The program is free and is made be for those tools. They have a big selection of tools you don't use that often, Torgue Wrenches, vacuum pumps, ball joint removers, tap and die sets, spring compressor, narmonic balancer installers, etc. Like I said, I used to manage a local AutoZone. As well, you can return the tool to any Autozone within 30 days, but you must keep receipt. I always just taped the receipt on the inside of the tool packaging.

You don't borrow the tool. The program is called "Loaner Tool Program". When you walk in on the sales counter there is a big plastic map of tools that are available. What you do is pay for the "loaner tool" full price, then you have 30 days to return it for a full refund. The program is free and is made be for those tools. They have a big selection of tools you don't use that often, Torgue Wrenches, vacuum pumps, ball joint removers, tap and die sets, spring compressor, narmonic balancer installers, etc. Like I said, I used to manage a local AutoZone. As well, you can return the tool to any Autozone within 30 days, but you must keep receipt. I always just taped the receipt on the inside of the tool packaging.
Then the person I talked with didn't explain that. He left me with the thought I paid for it if I kept it or not. Which I found rather dumb. Now, will this tool you speak of, have you used it to install a big block bearing? I bought such a tool elsewhere and it wasn't large enough to install the larger bearing, by a fraction.

Thanks

IMHO, here is the way to install cam bearings:

1) Install one cam bearing
2) Install the cam (with appropriate lube) and make sure it turns well.
3) If the cam turns easily, go back to step 1. If it doesn't, fix the issue now because you know where the problem is. Once fixed, go back to step 1.

This may seem silly and slow, but it works. Take your time with the proper tool and you can absolutely do this. :thumbsup:

Then the person I talked with didn't explain that. He left me with the thought I paid for it if I kept it or not. Which I found rather dumb. Now, will this tool you speak of, have you used it to install a big block bearing? I bought such a tool elsewhere and it wasn't large enough to install the larger bearing, by a fraction.

Thanks
Yes, I used the exact tool AutoZone has in the tool program on my 440 last summer. It comes with different size ends

Auto Transport Service
Back