• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm sick of red paint!!!!

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:41 PM
Reaction score
Bought a 'dead' red 67 Dart in 73 and buffed it out only to see it die in less than 6 months. Did it again and well, so did it. Ended up using it as a work car back then and didn't care anymore about the paint. Fast forward to about 2001 when I bought my 97 Dodge 2500 diesel which was the best running diesel that I found with 100k miles that I had ever driven and the only down side is that it was red and dead and peeling but got it cheap because of that. It's pretty much still that way but no worse since it's garage kept and still runs great but then I found a really nice 96 Dakota just a few years ago that was also red. Damn thing is trying to go dead too! Not sure what kind of paint it has on it but thinking it's not b/c/c since it's not peeling. WTH is with red paint!!? This thing sits in the shop/garage and it's going dull! I HATE red!!!!

My 99’ that I sold to my cousin, red also, is doing just fine concerning the paint. But that era of paint is garbage. The clear degrades cause it was garbage. It’s not just Dodge, but other manufacturer’s as well.

Red coloured insulation on electrical wire is the most susceptible to UV rays damage.
Black, Blue and White don't seem to be as susceptible to UV damage or break down and cracking of the insulation for some reason.

Red goes pink on cable and electrical tape insulation.

Red is the worst colour for a car - the pigments are destroyed by UV faster in red than any other colour. It's typical here in NZ to see red Honda Accords driving around with all the clear coat blistered and flaking off....on cars less than 10 years old.

If it wasn't a Red Wagon tribute, my A100 would have been any other colour apart from red. Probably would have chosen medium blue.

I am not a fan of red either, yet I somehow have managed to have four of them. In my humble opinion it could be worse (much worse). They could be black. I like black cars..... as long as they aren't mine.

I am not a fan of red either, yet I somehow have managed to have four of them. In my humble opinion it could be worse (much worse). They could be black. I like black cars..... as long as they aren't mine.
I've had several black vehicles and all of them were good.....they didn't peel or fade and looked good even after 20 years!!

Red and Silver used to be the worst colors for durability. I have had several black vehicles and they are great paint wise but are a pain in the you know what to keep clean and I live on a dirt road in hot a** Florida to boot.

Red and Silver used to be the worst colors for durability. I have had several black vehicles and they are great paint wise but are a pain in the you know what to keep clean and I live on a dirt road in hot a** Florida to boot.
I had three black cars at one time, my driver, my dually, and a 55chevy. Start washing the three of them, by the time you finish the third, the first one is dirty again. No more black cars for me, period!

I had three black cars at one time, my driver, my dually, and a 55chevy. Start washing the three of them, by the time you finish the third, the first one is dirty again. No more black cars for me, period!
My gf's son ran a high end auto detailing business for years.. Still preps cars for Pebble Beach & a few other events.... He had a couple regular customers who owned a number of black cars.... One car from each of these two customers was always in his shop... Just between those two clients he averaged around 50K every year for over fifteen years... No shiny black cars for me... Way to much work...

It may sound odd, but the best way to go with
red paint is just a general acrylic enamel.
With base coat/clear coat, the uv rays are
trapped between the two coats causing the
clear coat to absorb most of the heat
generated.
I had a solid red '73 Ford Pickup bought new,
and the paint held up for 20 years, though it
required regular weekly waxing.
I've owned two black vehicles. a1989 F-250,
very labor intensive to keep it looking good.
(repainted with acrylic), and a 2012 Mustang
5.0. Painted base coat/clear coat. It, too,
required a weekly bath and a wax. It died
an early death during a hurricane.
Now that I don't have near the energy I used
to possess, white is the only way to go.

Haven't you figured out yet that you just have bad luck with red vehicles? Just rock out and be happy!!!

Haven't you figured out yet how to be half way nice to other members here??

I have two Dodge trucks that were only available in one color! Bright Canyon Red.

20220705_191557.jpg

20220502_190529.jpg

Red for fun and white for business!! LOL
20220927_163358.jpg

Dad's 89 Blue S10 pickup clear & blue did same thing, former coworker's 88 C1500 blue & clear same deal; Gm's suppliers were playing with paint formulas. Both repainted for free by Cheby back in 90s.

I don't know exactly why (?)
but I've never been a big fan of red paint
especially a 'bright lipstick' types of reds
& especially red interiors
IMO both are way overdone/overused

I do like some candy apple reds
(custom silver or gold/poly base w/translucent reds & shitloads of clear over that)
or some darker reds with a shitload of metallic, are OK
I do like them, 'sort of', but they wouldn't be my 1st choice thou

But;
I did own a 69 Charger RT/SE in 'R4 Charger Red'
& 69 RR RM21 'R4 Barracuda orange' same color as above
sorry no digital photos
just not my color

I'm sort of the same with yellows,
especially lighter pale/piss yellows
yet I've owned both,
I painted my 1st 68 Charger R/T org. was GG1/Dark Racing Green & black
I painted it '77 Bright Corvette Yellow 'Emron single stage', bright as ****
but it was the hot thing on 1978-ish & I regretted it from day 1
I don't do trendy **** anymore
sorry no digital photos

& a 69 RR RM23 HT Y2 (piss yellow)
Budnicks 69 RR 440 str-6bbl #1.JPG

but I love oranges, combine red & yellow = orange :realcrazy:
this car (I loved) was Hugger orange, white stripes w/light blue pinstripes
Budnicks 23 T Ford 427ci BBC Alky Inj Altered A-A Sac Raceways.jpg

my colors are many shades of greens' & blues'
(not a fan of many lighter greens or lighter/sky blues')
or I like MoPars shades of darker greens & teals/turquoises
LL1 especially or Q5, or blues B5 or B7 especially

My RR is LL1/Black
68 RR LL1 10-29-2017 #4 PS frt.JPG

my Dakota is (PG8) Emerald Green Pearl Metallic/Silver
graphite interior
(looks bluish in the photo, it's green)
Budnicks 99 Dakota 4x4 #1.JPG

the new truck (22 'ferd' Maverick Lariot AWD) I got for dad
(I know but he loves it)
in Alta Blue/almost black in the dark/shade
but a nice deep dark metallic blue in the sun/tan & graphite leather interior