• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Input shaft on 4 speed too long

NZ 70 RR

Local time
5:04 PM
Reaction score
Took old 4 speed out and tried for hours to get replacement one in, was always 25mm ( 1") gap between housing and 4 speed casing. Finally took it out and used a ruler only to find the input shaft was 25mm longer on replacement one. Looks like the gearbox that came out has had its shaft shortened.
What are my options please.

A833 4 speed.jpeg

It seems your crankshaft is not drilled for a pilot bushing. If there is a pilot bearing in the torque converter pilot area of the crankshaft, then you are good to go, but you will have to trim back the trans input shaft same as the old one. Just make sure there is a pilot bearing in there.

Last edited:
It’s not the block, it’s the crank, some are drilled for the 4 speed, some are not.

Just ran into the same problem on my 65 Coronet...replaced the 727 auto with a 4-speed. Crankshaft was not drilled for a standard trans...use the big pilot bearing in the converter area at the end of the driveshaft, cut and tapered the input shaft...and i was out crusin with the four speed....
Good luck......

Just ran into the same problem on my 65 Coronet...replaced the 727 auto with a 4-speed. Crankshaft was not drilled for a standard trans...use the big pilot bearing in the converter area at the end of the driveshaft, cut and tapered the input shaft...and i was out crusin with the four speed....
Good luck......
Had the same issue, cut and tapered and had no issues!

Wow , brilliant replies, thanks heaps.
The reason I took the gearbox out was because I did a stupid thing, I had loosened the large bolt below the natural safety switch and had caused the ball bearing the sits on the reverse finger to drop into the gearbox. The box was also hitting the back of the 4 speed hump in 2nd gear because the body guy had re-welded the hump slightly forward. And I had brought a re-build kit for the box.
When I picked up another gearbox that originally came out of a RR I thought do a straight swap.
I have removed the gearbox cover and fixed the ball bearing, I have also used a panel hammer on the hump to make more room and have got a shorter adjustment bolt to got into one end of the shifter.
I have a 440 that I want to put in so will wait a couple of months and put the replacement gearbox in with that after mocking it up to make sure it fits. Fingers crossed I will be driving the RR later today.

Thanks again
Tony

Auto Transport Service
Back