• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing Classic Auto Air in a '70 Charger

I meant to call the company today but I got sidetracked. They are 2 hours ahead and by 3:00 my time, they are headed home!

I was still having trouble with the air only coming out of the defroster outlets. I called the man at CAA and he said that most problems come down to p.oor connections and poor grounds. The unit worked fine before I installed it.
He was right. I pulled the glovebox insert....That thing is really crammed in there with the new HVAC unit, the wiring, the auxiliary fuse box I put in, etc. The wires were connected but one was not in it's plug squarely. It probably got moved while I installed the glove box.
It is back together and does move from floor to dash to defrost. THe final step is to evac and charge.

Hey there!
Right about when I finished up the A/C job, I had an electrical problem. I fixed that then took a job that has kept me busy. I still need to evacuate the system then charge it with the refrigerant.

Sounds like the job has you on the go but that's good. Was just checking in to see how it turned out.

I still need to evacuate the system then charge it with the refrigerant.
The status has not changed....
I can attest to the heater ad defroster working nicely. All this time, over 20 years of ownership and finally having a heater is really great.
Funny how things are going along smoothly and then a series of obstacles gets in the way.
I bought another '70 Charger and like an easily distracted 8 year old kid, I went to work on it. Now with the weather warming up, I'm anxious to finish this project.

Today I went to the same place I went before and weighed the car.
I was expecting a slight weight loss. In this whole process, I replaced the iron WP housing with aluminum, the in dash HVAC unit is half the size and weight too. The add on weight was the A/C compressor and lines, the condensor and the fan shroud.
I was at 3940 before.

R T 8.jpg

Somehow, today it weighed 4000 lbs even.
What the heck ? I absolutely thought that the worst would be that I broke even. The WP housing is an 8 lb difference. The dash unit should have accounted for a 20 lb loss at least. I had a full tank and a spare tire both times. This is a pisser.
Not that it changes anything, I just wonder how accurate their scales were last time.

Kd, that sure a sharp ride
As for the weight it's all good. Truley next time your getting it weighed ask when was the last time weighs and measures was there. In most cases it must be posted on the scale that tells you the last time it was checked. Also next time weigh the front and then the rear see what you come up with. Enjoy your ride and keep us up to date with jigsaw.

I was expecting a slight weight loss. In this whole process, I replaced the iron WP housing with aluminum, the in dash HVAC unit is half the size and weight too. The add on weight was the A/C compressor and lines, the condensor and the fan shroud.
I was at 3940 before.

View attachment 965259
What the heck ? I absolutely thought that the worst would be that I broke even. The WP housing is an 8 lb difference. The dash unit should have accounted for a 20 lb loss at least. I had a full tank and a spare tire both times. This is a pisser.
Not that it changes anything, I just wonder how accurate their scales were last time.

Scales calibrated?. Hey, lay off the Twinkies

Heh heh heh...
I wasn't IN the car!

This is a great thread KD thanks for putting this here!

I was at 3940 before.

View attachment 965259

Nice Charger Kern

You may find that crimped connections may work better than soldered. Sometimes a soldered connection will break just outside the joint because the wires cannot flex like a crimped joint. I also clean every soldered joint with isopropyl because flux is corrosive. You can buy the relay connectors with uncrimped terminals, you crimp and plug them in so you eliminate another future connection problem. Glad it works, I am planning on doing my 68 next year. Right now I am still gathering parts. Tim

I was at 3940 before.

View attachment 965259
Fuel in tank difference? Stuff in trunk (tire, tools?)

By the way, I keep hoping one day you'll update your avitar to a sweet angled view of that Charger instead of your melon:)

The car had a full tank both times. It did surprise me to see a weight gain.

It took YOU to motivate me to change it.

@kerndog thanks for posting your install of classic auto air.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I figured this would be the best way to ask for help.

I also am installing classic auto air kit on my 70 dodge charger. It has a 440 and is a non factory ac car.

On post 85 you posted that someone's fan was hitting the ac compressor. I am having that exact same problem. Do you recall why this might be happening?

My ac compressor looks like it can only be mounted one way and everything else seems right. I am using an aftermarket aluminum water pump housing with an iron water pump.

All help is appreciated, thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back