• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing Classic Auto Air in a '70 Charger

Kd how many switches if you have more than one you will have to jump it also. Each switch work differently one is for low pressure and the other is for high pressure both should be in line with clutch wire.

I did get a call back. The man confirmed that the system needs to be pressurized for the compressor clutch to engage.
All the wiring is behind the glovebox so I’ll leave it out until it is all done. What a tight fit it is in there. The aftermarket HVAC box is smaller overall but thicker at the top compared to the stock unit. This cramps the space behind the glovebox.

I did get a call back. The man confirmed that the system needs to be pressurized for the compressor clutch to engage.
All the wiring is behind the glovebox so I’ll leave it out until it is all done. What a tight fit it is in there. The aftermarket HVAC box is smaller overall but thicker at the top compared to the stock unit. This cramps the space behind the glovebox.

KD are you happy with (fitment/install) it or is the jury out until it all is up and working?

KD are you happy with (fitment/install) it or is the jury out until it all is up and working?
I do like the product and most of the parts. but as is often the case, the instructions are incomplete. They provided a template for drilling a hole for the condensation drain and when I installed the unit, the hole was too high, requiring another hole lower down. After numerous customer complaints, they now advise to mock up the unit and then mark for the hole. The instructions are worded poorly in some areas and it seems like they were written for a person that has done this a few times before.
I'm not that fond of the control panel. Knobs would have made more sense than slides:

CAA display.JPG

The display shows red/heat on top and blue/cold on bottom but how does that correspond with the slide? A knob with blue on one side and red on the other makes more sense to me. The fan slide is on the right. Toward the engine or toward the trunk....which is high, which is low? Maybe it is just me but these controls seem weird to me. Maybe they were trying to retain some factory appearance?

HVAC Z4.jpg

I have the same system and agree their control panel is weird. But it's like most other things; once you've used it a couple of times muscle memory takes over and adjusting will be second nature.

Knobs though....
Simple and easy to understand. Slides are fine once you get used to them. I had a Camaro and a Square body Chevy. GM loved the slide type controls. Most of our A bodies used slide type panels but they were horizontal and well marked.
IMG_1434.JPG

Knobs though....
Simple and easy to understand. Slides are fine once you get used to them. I had a Camaro and a Square body Chevy. GM loved the slide type controls. Most of our A bodies used slide type panels but they were horizontal and well marked.
View attachment 1268436
I agree! My old 67 Impala had horizontal slide and it worked fantastic for the 45 years it was in our family. Never an issue. The stock mopar unit in my 68 B Body has the Forward/Backward slides. It was broken when I bought the car used. I installed a re-pop from Classic Industries and that one broke within 2 yrs and there it sits. I'm in the middle of installing Vintage Air and at first ordered their stock style unit. I was in my exhaust shop having work done and saw they were installing a Vintage Air unit in a customer's car so I asked about it. They said, whatever you do - don't install anything but rotary controls - they're much easier to calibrate due to their pot design and last longer. I took their advice and ordered a rotary controlled unit from Vintage Air.

KD - you too can install a rotary control unit if you wish. Don't feel locked into using the stock style piece from Classic Auto Air. It's just wires and connections and I imagine there are many options available.

The Charger has functioning air conditioning....just in time for today's sweltering 63 degree temps.
A C fixed (2).jpg

As always, my stories are not just a "one sentence" experience.
The woman that cuts my hair has been my only "stylist", since 1993. She is married to a guy that owns a BMW repair shop. He has helped me out with a few repairs over the years.
Mary suggested that I call on him for the A/C work. I left the glove box out so that if anything needed work, access was wide open.
He vacuumed out the system and to my surprise, it held a vacuum. My one ugly crimp did not leak. When he started to charge the refrigerant, I told him that while I know he is a pro, the instructions state to charge the system with the engine off. The system went to 7 oz and stopped increasing so he had me start it up. The compressor wouldn't engage so he checked the electrical connections. The hi/low pressure switch was jumped but I got nothing. The wire to the compressor was jumped off the coil and it engaged. I found that the fan switch on the dash was not on. Once I moved it, the compressor engaged.
The air was blowing hot though. I figured that within 30 seconds or so, it should be cold. Ryan suspected a defective heater control valve. I thought I may have it on the wrong heater hose.
Then I moved the slide...

CAA display (2).JPG

The graphic isn't clear as to which way to slide for hot or cold. I wrongly assumed that push away was cold, pull toward was hot.
Wrong. Once I pulled it toward me, the air got really cold.
Score!

Oh yeah...to make things even better, the man did the work for FREE.

Now watch....It will be in the 60s-70s when I'm in Van Nuys next week!
At least I finally completed something. It was late 2019 when I installed this system.
At home, I put the glove box and door back in place.
I haven't had a classic car with a heater and A/C before. This will be great!

that's bitchin'!
I love it when a plan comes together....

You've inspired me to get off my *** and get mine done.

KD - one question I want to know (maybe it's way up in the thread) - since you now have A/C which has the dual pulley alternator, how is your belt alignment? Did it require any shimming?

CoronetDarter needs to finish up with two of his cars as well!

KD - one question I want to know (maybe it's way up in the thread) - since you now have A/C which has the dual pulley alternator, how is your belt alignment? Did it require any shimming?
Everything lined up nicely. I used factory pulleys. The idler for the fan is sort of janky but it works.
You’ll see it in about a week. Are you going to be there for the Malibu Cruise ?

Everything lined up nicely. I used factory pulleys. The idler for the fan is sort of janky but it works.
You’ll see it in about a week. Are you going to be there for the Malibu Cruise ?
Thanks for the info. I bought stock style pulleys from Bouchillon.
Unfortunately, I won't be attending Willow Springs or Spring Fling this year. I hope to see you at Mopar Alley locally though.

The Charger will be in LA? Jesus Chrysler. The system in mine uses the old cable driven control box. When using the ac, the Valve at the firewall needs a shove to completely close and shut off the warm water flow.

Auto Transport Service
Back